It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

kellysmum HB User
Sleeping 10-12 hours/night-normal for BP?

I'm a 43 year old female with BP type 2 and anxiety disorder. I currently take Paxil 20 mg, Zyprexa 5 mg, and Xanax 1 mg, along with various asthma and allergy meds and meds for insulin resistance (Metformin). I have found that this med cocktail has stabilized my moods, but I need at least 10 hours, sometimes 12 hours, of sleep per night just to be able to function. I am sometimes tired during the day, but not to the point of exhaustion. All physical tests have come back normal.

Is it common for people with BP on meds to need so much sleep? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Re: Sleeping 10-12 hours/night-normal for BP?

I have cronic insomnia. But my new med Geodon was making me have daytime groggines. So I started taking it earlier and was out of it and slobbery at 8:30. Really you just need to start experimenting with the times you take your meds to find something that works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

zzzbritbratzzz HB User

I take geodon and I feel tired all the time. I can get 9 or 10 hours of sleep and still have a hard time waking up. I have a friend on something different and he has the same issues. I went to my doctor complaining because I got sent home from work because my words were slurring I was so out of it and they said other meds are worse. I think unfortunately needing lots of sleep just comes with the territory.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I noticed that you asked if sleeping this much was typical of people w/bp.

Were you sleeping theis way before the meds? If not, then I'd say it's the meds, not the bp.

I hope you can find a resolution to this, maybe ask for a med change?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I expect it is the zyprexa.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
(female)

DD07 HB User

Hi, this is my first time posting, though i have been reading here over a year. You are the first one i've seen w/problems resembling mines. Nice to know I not alone w/ bp, ptsd,phobias,allergies, borderline blood pressure, arthrits in neck, and asthma!!! I have to take meds and have to make sure they don't interact. Im almost allergic to everything, including meds. Didn't mean to go on so long. My pdoc for 6 yrs refuses to give me xanax or valium, but i have clonazepam and temazepam (there in the same family). I don't think they work or help me, but my kid seems to think i'm calmer. God Bless you and thanks for posting.

Closed Thread