It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

Bev12345 HB User
Unhappy Think My Meds Have Stopped Working! Any advice?

Diagnosed 18 months ago. On Lithium 800mg, Citalopram 60mg and Lamotrigine (Lamictal) 125mg

While the manic episodes have been completely knocked on the head i have never been rid of the terrible depression and its progressively getting worse

I cannot up the Citalopram dose as 60mg is top dose, not sure about the Lamotrigine. If i changed to Sodium valproate (Epilim or Depakote are similar i believe) instead of Lithium does anyone think this might help?

Im so fed up with the low mood that ive considered coming off the Lithium but i know that would be a bad move !

Thanks all

x

Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Re: Think My Meds Have Stopped Working! Any advice?

HI Bev, welcome to the board

Caren Bipolar..1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi, and welcome,

I suffer from a lot of depression, and I found that increasing the Lamictal did wonders for that. (I take 250 now and probably will move up a bit more).
Just my experience. Did the Lamictal help for a while with the depresssion?

Of course, best person to help you out here is your pdoc, but the experience of the great folks here on this board might help steer you in the right direction, too.

When's your next apointment with pdoc?

Keep us posted, and I'm sorry for your depression.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

Bev12345 HB User

Hi seaturtle
Thanks for your reply

Yeah the Lamictal (Lamotrigine) did help for a while when i was first put on it

Ive just been reading that Sodium valproate (Depakote) is a better mood stabiliser for the depressed episodes

Im not seeing my pdoc till late August but the way i feel i may call and bring appointment forward

Thanks for your support

x

Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

hey! check out all the side effects from depakote. could you live with them if it worked?

i say up the lamictal. you have the room.

good luck!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

I found that the lamactil made me gain a lot of weight. That really made me feel bad overall about myself. I feel much better since I switched to Geodon and I've lost most of the weight.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
(female)

Bev12345 HB User

Hi Dismama

Yeah i think Lamactil has done the same to me, but i also have given up smoking which i think has piled a few pounds on!

I saw my pdoc today, they initially have upped Lamactil to 150mg in evening and 50mg in morning and i am seeing the 'main man' on Monday to see about changing the anti d from Citalopram to something else

Ill let you all know how it all goes

Thanks for your support

Bev x:

Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
(female)

ced33 HB User

I am up to 200 mg for my Lamictal and it has helped greatly with my depression. I believe that Lamictal tops out at 400 mg.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
(female)

kitten0101 HB User

I had my meds stop working. I was on Depakot and Lithium and I kept trying to tell my doctor that something wasn't right. Well one day I just swayed the other way and quit my meds all together. About a month or so later I knocked out the windows to my house and had my husband arrested for stuff he didn't even do. Now I have to go to court and tell the judge that I lied but at the time I thought he really was doing these things. I have since gone back on my meds and my doctor added Prozac and that helps a whole lot so my advise is keep on your doctor to add something or raise the dosage on exsisting meds.
Hang in there and never give up Lots of Love From Virginia

Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
(female)

seaturtle1 HB User

Bev -

Lamictal took some weight off me, actually, so reactions differ.

Just a word on going to court: you did not "lie." You were, it sounds, delusionary, and there's a big difference. Do you have a lawyer? A doctor should certify that you are mentally ill and that your behaviour was beyond your control and part of the illness.

It's not your fault you were that way, it's part of the illness. It is our responsibility, though, to take actions so we don't get that way, and you're doing that.
So don't go in and just say you lied. You believed what you were saying at the time, and that is NOT lying.

Here to support you,
Seaturtle

Old 09-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Just an add-on to Sea Turtles spot on advice...could you possibly get a letter from your psychiatrist or doctor that would explain your illness and the reason for what happened?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
(female)

kitten0101 HB User

I don't have a lawyer but my husband does and I do have my doctor that can say that I have these mental conditions. I'm just wondering if the judge is going to do anything to me. I hope not because I never have gone off my meds like that before and now I make sure I see a therapist every two weeks
Thank you so much for your support

Closed Thread