It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User
Question Developed a fear; and question on Effexor

I just recently developed a fear of swallowing. I posted this on another board, but I have been diagnosed bipolar. I was not sure it had anything to do with that. I thought I'd get over it but it's been since friday, and I am still so afraid when I swallow. On friday I couldn't eat or drink because of it. I went to my doctor, but he was gone for the day, so I went to the emergency room. I felt so stupid. I was there until about midnight, I was so afraid they were going to keep me. They prescribed Xanax for 5 days until i get to see my phsyc.
I took the Xanax on saturday and felt a little sleepy, but then I had what I not think was a panic attack. I thought I was going to die. I scared my husband half to death. I got over it in a few minutes that seemed like eternity.
I did not take another pill. I need to talk to my doctor today.

I would like to know, is Effexor better on helping with anxiety as well as depression? I am on Wellbutrin, which the doctor at the emergency room said does not help too much with anxiety.
I am afraid to change medication for the fear of weight gain. I cannot get any bigger. I am trying to loose weight, not gain it.

Just wanted some opinions. They also mentioned as a choice Buspar. I do not know this medication.
I also have noticed that I cannot think right. This morning I started work and could not remember how to dial out. I do this every day without a thought. I have been slower in my thinking, and more disorganized also since about a week ago or so. I am also at a point in which I feel a low, but a little different. Kind of tired and confused.

I keep trying to drink coffee and can only sip on it a little at a time. I am afraid I will choke. I have done this 3 times in the last 2 weeks while eating.
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Developed a fear; and question on Effexor

Hi,

I have read about this fear a lot on the OCD board. You might check in over there.

Seaturtle

Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

I had to leave work today and go to the doctor. I felt afraid and was shaky, my hands were sweaty and I felt afraid of something, but there was nothing to be afraid of.
I was going to wait at the clinic until the doctor had a few minutes for me. He talked to me quickly and I came back for an appointment later on.

He sees everything so compactly, he organized all my information so fast and prescribed Celexa. He said this would be better for me than Wellbutrin because it also helped with anxiety.
He did say it was going to kill my sex drive. I am not sure what that means, I haven't had one in a while, how much deader can it get? I am always worrying and stressed, so I have no urge to have it.
I am afraid of this new medication, but I am willing to try. I hope I don't ballon up to whale size, I will be carefull of what I eat while on it and aas soon as I feel alittle better I can start walking or excersising. Right now I don't feel like anything.
Anyone else taken Celexa?
Thank you

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

It's my understanding that those diagnosed with bipolar should not be taking antidepressants as it could bring on a manic episode. There are many on this board much more knowledgable than I in these matters. Maybe they can comment. Take care.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you. By the way, it had nothing to do with anything. Yesterday I went to the doctor again, I had the pain for the third time on Monday night. Still can't eat. They found it may be my gallbladder. Nothing to do with what I though. Today I will go in again to see the results of my tests yesterday. The doctor still wants me to take Celexa. I was afraid to start last night. I am by myself at home, and right now my stomcah is a little off. I can only nibble on foods with no grease and no spices.
I hope the fear of swallowing is related to the not being able to digest my food.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

rudiraven is correct, if you are BP then you should not be taking just an anti-depressant, without some type of mood stabilizer along with it, as this can cause many problems all in its own.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you. Yes I understand. I've been on Wellbutrin for 2 years and was doing fine until the doctor thought I have anxiety. He switched the Wellbutrin for Celexa. My mood swings don't go that high. My ups are just a bit over normal. I am usually just tired and numb. Then I go down I just get sentimental, like PMS, I cry over everything (only at home, I don't let people see that I am getting so touchy). I see something on TV, puppies, children, almost anything and I'll cry. One day I cried just listening to songs, no reason. Now it's funny. When I am up, I actually catch up on housework, and go grocery shopping, I also buy things on the internet, but not too much. I know I can get unreasonable and spend too much if I am not careful.

I can deal with all this when on the Wellbutrin, when I am not on medication, the times I am tired and grumpy are longer, and I can't get anything done. Then I get angry at myself for not getting my act together. After this I will start loosing my concentration, and attention span, I get very nervous and snappy. Then one day I will get up, clean the whole house and can't stop. I start reading books I had always wanted to read, or start crafts. I cook, and cook, I spend days in the kitchen. One time I started writing a book, now it seems silly.

The Wellbutrin has been helping, I am afraid to change. I haven't started my new medication, it scares me to think my mind may change, especially since I am alone at home. I want to wait until my husband comes back home from work (he is out of state)

Closed Thread