It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

wonderangel HB User
Question Seroquel XR and/or Zeldox

Hi everyone! I'm a new member and would like to know if anyone has taken Seroquel XR or Zeldox for Bipolar. My new psychiatrist told me about these newly approved meds. I am bipolar and currently take lithium, effexor, trazodone and zyprexa. I am mostly depressed with some periods of mania. I'd like to know if these drugs are helpful and if there are any side effects that I should be worried about. I have taken seroquel in the past, but seroquel XR is supposed to be a timed release drug at a higher dose. My doctor told me that if I decide to take either or, that I could eliminate all my other meds. and just take one of the new meds. My main concern is my depression. I need to know if these 2 drugs help with depression or if they just subdue mania. Thanks to all who respond!

Old 08-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

willow64 HB User
Re: Seroquel XR and/or Zeldox

i take seroquel for a mood stablelizer and take prozac for depression , i am bi polar . seroquel has been a god send it allows me to sleep everynight wich i wasnt doing before , been on tegretol , topamax, didnt like either of them and with them i had to have something to help me sleep. other than having a slight memory laps from time to time i like seroquel , keep in mind though i am on a low dose 50 mg twice a day, dr started me out 3 times a day but it made me to drowsy so dropped back to 2 and have been there since and working fine.. good luck !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I've never heard of the Seroquel XR or the other drug you mentioned. I've been on Seroquel 450mg for months, I take it at night and it also helps with insomnia. It works really well for the depression, but I've finally got up to my thereapeutic dose of Lamictal which is 300mg, so I'm getting off of the Seroquel because it has started to cause some slight weight gain in the last month in a half or so. So since the Lamictal is working so well, I don't really need the Seroquel. I'm taking Neurontin 900mg now at night, and that helps with the sleep issues.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
(female)

Muneca77 HB User

I have Bipolar 1 and was recently put on SeroquelXR with horrible results. I felt out of it the first night and by the third night I was in full blown disorientation. I stumbled to my bathroom and was grasping onto the sink to hold on. Before I knew it I fell face down into my bathtub, not a fun event. My face is now bruised and I have so much pain on my left side which must be the side that got hit the hard. When I saw my Psychiatrist the next day he said I was the second patient who had the same results, lucky for him he didn't fall face down in the bathtub. I don't know how this drug got on the market.

Has anyone else had this same result?

Dianne

Last edited by Mod-09; 06-05-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal contact information.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderangel View Post
Hi everyone! I'm a new member and would like to know if anyone has taken Seroquel XR or Zeldox for Bipolar. My new psychiatrist told me about these newly approved meds. I am bipolar and currently take lithium, effexor, trazodone and zyprexa. I am mostly depressed with some periods of mania. I'd like to know if these drugs are helpful and if there are any side effects that I should be worried about. I have taken seroquel in the past, but seroquel XR is supposed to be a timed release drug at a higher dose. My doctor told me that if I decide to take either or, that I could eliminate all my other meds. and just take one of the new meds. My main concern is my depression. I need to know if these 2 drugs help with depression or if they just subdue mania. Thanks to all who respond!
Seroquel is sometimes used for the off label treatment of depression, so it's possible this med could make a difference in that regard.

Seroquel is also FDA approved to treat mania.

However, it may take some time for you to notice any positive results (generally 6-8 weeks), so if you do not start to notice a change by then, I would advise your pdoc.

I happen to take Prozac for my depression and so far it's working like a charm. I have had a few mixed and depressive episodes along the way (my dose was recently increased from 20mg or 40mg), but they are not as frequent nor as severe as they used to be.

I also take Trazodone for sleep. I take 100mg when I'm feeling level and 300mg PRN when I'm manic. The 100mg dose works in 15 minutes while the 300mg dose works
in 5.

I've also taken Lithium in the past (1991-1997), but it didn't do anything to address my depression until Paxil was added.

Having said that, Lithium did a good job of keeping my mania under control.

You also mentioned Zeldox (Geodon). I've been on Zeldox (Geodon) twice in the past. I was given this med for my voices, delusions and paranoia. It worked great the first time I started taking it (during my IP stay in 2006), but after having done so again a few months ago, Zeldox (Geodon) eventually lost its' efficacy. I now take Risperdal in its' place.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-05-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I've taken Seroquel for my BPII and it does make you very sedated, my pdoc made sure to tell me after I took it at night to stay in bed, but I was on a very high dose 525mg. I've not used the XL version. I now use a combinaiton of Lamictal/Abilify for my mood stabilizers and depression, and am on 4 or 5 other psych meds for various other reasons. Perhaps if you took the Seroquel and then staid in bad afterward so that you did not fall down, that might help. I know when I used to take Neurontin I would have the same problem, if I tried to get up and walk, I woudl be very unstable on my feet, some of these meds just cause these kinds of problems until you get used to them, and that can take a week or two.

kat

Old 06-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
(female)

Muneca77 HB User

Hi Willow, I think the XR version is a new one that is supposted to (I can't think of the word) but spread out over time.

I take Lithium, Lamictal and Terazapam to sleep at night. The Lamictal does give me memory lapses but now that I am taking it at night it isn't as big as when I was taking it in the AM

Dianne

Old 06-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
(female)

Muneca77 HB User

Hi Willow, I think the XR version is a new one that is supposted to (I can't think of the word) but spread out over time.

I take Lithium, Lamictal and Terazapam to sleep at night. The Lamictal does give me memory lapses but now that I am taking it at night it isn't as big as when I was taking it in the AM

Dianne

I have Biplor1 and for a time took Xprexa but got off it due to weight gain, I was only going to be on the SeroquelXL for a short time to straighten out some issues due to extreme stress, my Psychiatrist took me off it immediately. Falling in the tub face forward was enough for

Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

The "XR" in Seroquel's name means extended release.

In other words, it doesn't travel through the bloodstream as quickly as regular Seroquel.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
(female)

Muneca77 HB User

Hi Wonderangel, I think I have been on every medication known to mankind It all started with a therapist who quite illegally told me to go see a MD to get some Paxil. I was a high manic person with only a few deep suicide type depressions that I was able to dig my way out of after a couple of months. The Paxil alone with Bipolar1 caused rapid cycling that when I was down I was convinced I needed the Paxil. Finally I was diagnosed by a Stanford grad Psychoparmecutical (Way sic) who over time had me on so many pills I can't even recall them all. One of the meds was Xyprexa, he didn't warn me about the weight issue. Nothing got better except the suicidal urges weren't as extreme. I read Kay Redfield Jamisons book and was wondering why he didn't have me on Lithium, so he wrote out a prescription to add to my cocktail mix of growing meds. Finally I could no longer afford his services and the high expenses of the meds so I got in touch with **** for a service provider in my area. I met with the county Psychiatrist and walked out with all the same meds, still not getting any better or leveled out. The horrible part was I felt relief walking out with about $400 in meds was great, then I returned the next month and I was feeling sad and crying, never mentioned the suicide word and before I knew it I was locked up, talk about an experience. After they released me I went to see the county Psychiatrist and within 10 minutes she said that maybe I had a personality disorder!, here again I walked out with the same meds.

Things were way from being on track so I had to leave California to be with my family in Arizona, the only service I got was a Psych nurse. Once again I walked out with the same meds. I started attending a Bipolar support group and it clicked why I had gained 40 pounds when the manufacturer of Zyprexa had hand outs about dieting, what a crock, I have never had a weight issue my entire life.

I then refused to take Zyprexa and the same meds were prescribed. It took one of those pill boxes to keep them straight. Finally I left Arizona still feeling as bad as I did when I left California.

I had the good fortune to finally after over 10 years of searching and begging for help to find a top notch Psychiatrist. He didn't just write down what everyone else kept doing and revised my med program. Now I take Lamictal at night instead of the day which has helped my memory problem.

In the morning I take 2 Zoloft, at night I take Tarazapan for sleep and Soma due to the years of tension along with 2 Lithium (the other people had me on 4) and Diazapam (Valium) as needed for anxiety.

The only reason I was given the SeroquelXP to help with some anxiety issues and it was only for a short time so I wasn't concerned about the weight issue.

The first night on SeqoquelXP I woke up and felt really weird, by the 3rd night I was out of my mind, that is when I made it by hanging onto the walls to get to the bathroom which adjoins my bedroom. I was grasping the sink when all of a sudden I took a dive face forward into the tub, I could barely figure out how to get out.

My personal opinion is that unless we do our own advocacy things just don't work out.

Have you read Kay Jamison Redfields book? She is the defining authority on Bipolar and has Bipolar1 herself.

I feel that I lost many years of my life from the wrong information from "authorities". I still have slight depression and mania but now am at least aware of my actions and can stop them from going to the extreme. I have also accepted that this is a mental illness that will follow me throughout my life.

Just because someone has more degrees than we do doesn't mean that they are leading you in the right direction. Being your own advocate is what will lead a person to the right solutions. I feel like my brain has been used as a chemistry experiment and the relief of finally after all these years have a Psychiatrist who actually knows what he is doing is a miracle.

Your Dr. saying that by taking just those two medications would be a concern to me. Is he saying to dump the Lithium?

Muneca

Last edited by Mod-09; 06-06-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Please do not post advertisements.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
(male)

bipolarjon HB User

since 2005 i have been on 1350 mg lithium and 200mg seroquel

when you start seroquel you need to start at a low dose for a week and build up at least that is what i remember from years ago reasearch. my guess is 50 then 100 then 150 then 200
i like seroquel

Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I also really liked seroquel. It is the only thing that helps me sleep like a normal person. It also helps with anxiety a lot. But I got off of it due to weight gain. I'm not sure that was such a bright idea on my part.
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg
Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
(male)

platinummattt HB User

Seroquel

I started taking Zeldox 10 days ago first 3 or 4 days we're great, on the 8 th day I had cardiac arrest, still recovering in hospital. Please be cautious, I only took 60mg in the evening, everyday for 7 days, then didn't take it for the 8th because the side effects worsened, that night at about 2am , I was rushed to the hospital in cardiac arrest. I.ve never had any problems with any other meds. These we're the only meds I was taking
Male
33yrs
6ft
200lbs
otherwise Healthy

Closed Thread