It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
(female)

Amz28 HB User
Cool I'm new - so: All about me

Where do i start?

I'm 28, married for 4 years to my high school sweetheart, have 2 kids (jess is 3 1/2 and Daniel is 18 mnths).

I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder 2 in Jan this year - it came as a total shock to me. Funnily enough I sent my DH (Darling husband) to a Pscychiatrist because I thought he had a problem. Funny, huh? Turns out, my problem was bigger. LOL. My DH was an alcoholic, but has been dry for more than 8 months now. I'm really proud of him.

Anyway - I have a long history that I won't bore you too much with . I have always felt depressed - even as a child, but couldn't really express my feelings becuase I didn't really understand them. Anyway. I had my first child in 2004 and suffered from prenatal depression (never knew it) and then postnatal depression (never realised it either) and then my dear Father who was my life comitted suicide when my daughter was barely 10 weeks old. Great.

Eventually, my Mom and DH realised something was seriously wrong with me (bless their souls) and sent me to a pscychiatrist who put me on some useless drug (unfortunately) and I just wanted to commit suicide myself. They then sent me to a pscycholigist who I saw for about 6 months and that helped a bit.

Fast forward till 2006 - we moved and I fell pregnant again. Hated my pregnancy again, but it was par for the course, right? I went for one of my scheduled "routine" scans and was suddenly admitted for an emergency c-section at 34 weeks. My previous scar from my previous birth was starting to tear and it was literally a matter of life and death for the both of us. My boy was going to be prem. He was in NICU for 2 weeks fighting for his life - getting lumbar punctures, blood drawn every day - it was awful to witness. Add a two year old toddler to the mix and you get chaos. Needless to say - I went off the rails again! I was put on Effortil 2 tablets 3x a day ( I was breasfeeding at the time) and it helped a bit.

We had our ups and down until we finally got to a major down in Jan 2008 and I told DH to go and see someone. Which he did and which eventually brought me to see him myself. Funny how the world works. Within an hour he diagnosed me and put me on Epilim, Remeron (for two weeks), Cipralex and Rivotril.

All was well again for about two months. And then I started feeling bloated, dizzy etc. I was allergic to Epilim.

I was then put on Topomax (150mg now) , Cipralex and Rivotril and it's amazing how much better my life is. I never had a relationship with my daughter. I never bonded with her because of the PND, etc. And now, 3 1/2 yrs later, we seem to be able to connect again.

Thanks for reading my sob story. LOL!! It helped to write it down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
(female)

twisted71 HB User
Re: I'm new - so: All about me

Hello and welcome to the board. I am sorry that you have such a hard time of things. Just know that we are all here for support and you will find some of the best support here.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
(female)

Amz28 HB User

Thanks so much - I really appreciate it. Things are working out a bit better now. My OCD is getting worse as I've just quit my job, Hubby is also starting a new job and the kids a new creche and we all move on the 1st of September, but we'll manage. Change makes the OCD worse. I don't know if anyone else experiences the same thing?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

Welcome to the board and stay on those medications. they make all the difference in the world......

hugs Caren

Old 08-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello, and welcome,

Glad you're here. Soiunds as if you've had a really tough time of it. Maybe now with the meds it will be easier? I hope so.

Re the OCD: I don't have that, but have an anxiety condition and obsessive-compulsive anorexic behaviours and thoughts. Your OCD is bound to act up whenever there'a an increase in anxiety, and moving is certainly anxiety-provoking.

Are you being treated for the OCD, too?

Try not to panic over the increase in the OCD. It's quite natural under the cirumstances, and once you've stabilized after your move, things should quiet down. In the meantime, will your pdoc help you out with some meds for anxiety?

I'm no doctor, but these things just occurred to me as suggestions.

Keep posting - sharing it all does help.

Seaturtle

Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
(female)

Amz28 HB User

Thanks so much Caren - will do

Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #7
(female)

Amz28 HB User

Hi there - thanks for the warm welcome

No, not getting any treatment for my OCD, but it's def worse at the moment. Lots of changes going on in my life. nd as it it is I'm a routine, perfectionist type. You se the problem hey? LOL! Anyway, thanks for the support!!

Closed Thread