It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

girl here HB User
Impulse Control Problems

<Do not post warnings: sexual details do not belong in posts.>

Does anyone else have impulse control problems related to their bipolar disorder? This has been a very embarrassing issue that I have been dealing with. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about a year ago and I've been on several different medications and nothing has helped. My psychologist also told me that I have a sex addiction. It's ruining my social life and preventing me from making any friends. I lost most of my friends due to isolating myself so much when I was depressed. Now I'm not as depressed so I try to go out and meet people but I keep embarrassing myself. Most people think before they say stuff, but I don't. I just say stuff and then end up thinking "Oh my god, did I just say that out loud?!"

Last night was horrible. I went to this meet-up group. It's an organized social event for people who are trying to make new friends. I didn't know anyone there. I did okay for about the first 15 minutes, then things started going bad. I just kept saying all these socially inappropriate things without thinking about it. It was like I wouldn't even realize what I was doing until I got strange reactions from the other people there.

<deleted: totally inappropriate for this board.>

I clearly had some impulse control problems last night, not just with the stuff that I said, but also with my sexual acts in public, but it feels out of my control. I end up messing around with people I don't even know, and that is also risky but I do it anyways. And I keep embarrassing myself and making other people feel very uncomfortable. I'm afraid that my impulsive comments are going to result in someone starting a fight with me or trying to get me in trouble for sexual harassment. I do realize that I am inappropriate and I feel bad about it, but it just seems to happen, especially around strangers. I try so hard to think about stuff before I say it, but it rarely works. Or sometimes I will think about it and not realize until after I said it that it was completely inappropriate. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, can you give me any advice?

I am not on meds right now, because they were causing me to gain too much weight. I also have an eating disorder and body image issues, and the weight gain was causing me to become suicidal before so I stopped my meds.

I am also wondering if these impulse control problems are part of the bipolar? Or if it is some other problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Impulse Control Problems

Yes, impulse control, usually in a kind of mania, is part of it.

I think you need to get on meds, go back to your doctor and ask for a weight-neutral med. There are some out there.

Otherwise, perhaps you need to limit your contact with people, esp. in social situations, right now. You can learn to govern these impulses - DBT seems to work very well for that.

If it helps, I find that if I remain mindful of what I am saying and slooow down, pause before I speak and remain mostly quiet, it helps a lot.

I hope you have a good therapist to help you on the bipolar and the ED. I have both, too, so I can understand you concerns about the weight.

That's my IMHO - I hope I haven't given too much "advice."

Seaturtle

Closed Thread