It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
(female)

shananava HB User
Generic Lamictal Teva Brand

This is the first month I have to take the newly approved generic Lamatrogine. Has anyone switched to this? I'd like to know your experience and if there is any change happening taking the generic version. I start on mine in a few days. Thanks
S

Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

jeneration2007 HB User
Re: Generic Lamictal Teva Brand

Hello,

I started taking generic Lamotrogene a few weeks ago, and I am close to starting my second month. Thus far, I have not noticed any changes or oddities. I find they are easier to swallow than the shield-shaped Lamictal, though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I've been taking it for about 3 weeks now and haven't noticed any difference from the brand name.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

mine are still the shield shaped....150mg tablets...what's your mg dose tablets?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Good to hear. The pharamacy tried to give me the generic last night, but I asked my pharmacist to check with my pdoc first. It's been so hard finding something I'm stable on, I don't want to screw it up. I'll see what he said when I stop by tonight.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
(female)

shananava HB User

Thanks for the replies. I am starting mine this week & we will see.Happy for the savings so I hope all goes well.
S

Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
(female)

totallyclueless HB User

I am on Lamictal and wasn't aware there was a generic...is there a real difference or is the generic just cheaper??

Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

I started the generic on Saturday, and so far no difference at all. It tastes a little more gross if you don't swallow quickly (sort of powdery), but that's the only difference I've detected at all.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
(female)

shananava HB User

I just started mine on Monday. Not sure of any difference yet. They are more powdery and cheaper with my insurance. The money is my greatest benefit as long as they work the same.
Shannon

Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User

I'm not sure if mine are Teva, but they are diamond shaped (100mg), instead of the usual shield. I was barely on the full dose before switching to generic, so I really can't say if there a difference.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
(female)

beach4me HB User

I have been on the generic for 3 weeks and my moods are on a rollercoaster. It is driving me crazy! I am so mad! I was doing so well and now this! I would LOVE to take the generic and not pay the outrageous prices at the drug store.

Now I find myself choosing...mental stability or $$$$.

Someone needs to wake up! Generic medications of this type should be held to a higher standard. I guess when law suits start happening right and left, something will be done. By then, we will have lost many dear friends to suicide.

They can't say that the patients did not speak up. We did....but no one was listening.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
(female)

taking back HB User

Hi,
I take Lamotrigine, which is the generic form of Lamictal and I think it is also Teva. My pharmacy switched me about 2 months ago because my insurance has a clause that the pharmacy has to substitute generic if available or something like that. My doctor has always written for Lamictal.

Anyway, they are a diamond shape that have a 9 and a 3 on the scored side. I haven't noticed any change in my moods except that I have been alot more weepy lately, like I feel like I have to choke back tears often and this has been going on for about 5 weeks. I just thought maybe I was cycling into a depressive episode, which could be the case but maybe you're on to something with the generic medication. I will have to ask my doctor about that.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
(female)

shananava HB User

I have read on other boards here that generics can be +/- 20% of the name brand. Even from batch to batch it can vary, supposedly fda approved. Thats not good for people that take this for such serious conditions. Since it is new you would think they would do their best for a good name for the generic. I think I will ask for my blood levels to be checked at next dr visit. I have had to many times since beginning it over a year ago.
Shannon

Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Can they check blood levels of lamictal? Should these be checked regularly even if I'm doing fine (my pdoc said no bloodwork was necessary.)

Back on topic, I've been on the generic lamictal for 2 weeks now, and I haven't noticed any change. I'm sorry other people are having problems.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

My pharmacy suddenly started giving me generic lamotrigine instead of Lamictal the last time I got my prescription filled. I found it odd that the lamotrigine 100-mg tablets are the exact same peach color as the Lamictal tablets of the same dosage. Mine are also the diamond-shaped pills, and I agree with others that they are easier to swallow than the oddly shaped Lamictal tablets. I've been taking lamotrigine for about a week-and-a-half or so, and I feel the same. However, I take Lamictal/lamotrigine for Asperger's Syndrome mood swings, not bipolar disorder, so my reaction to it may be different.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread