It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

patteecake HB User
do you find it hard to have bipolar and work?

i was a teacher assistant for 3 yrs and a teacher for two. i got laid off in August of 2005. Then 1yr and 1/2 after no work, i got hired as a nanny in June of 2007. I loved my job, they let me bring the boy when he wasn't in preschool. I enjoyed teaching the boy and having a playmate for my son and their son as well. In June of 2008 I was laid off. It's been 3mths and i've wondered if being on SSI and working is worth it. I'd like to teach again, i'm wondering if being on Lamictal effects jobs. I'm on 50mgs and i don't sleep well during the night. I have insomina. But i'm a hard worker and reilable. I've wanted to get a job for the past 2mths and i am also waiting till they hire me again in sept is a possiblity they said.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
(female)

sped57 HB User
Re: do you find it hard to have bipolar and work?

I also am a teacher and for the last few years, I have really been struggling to stay on top of things at work. I am coming off of effexor right now- down to 37.5 after being on 300mg. When I am not teaching, I think that I could do a better job than everyone else and that I can do it all, but then when all the work of a job piles up, I get overwhelmed and have trouble relating to the other teachers and I begin to question my ability to do anything. I enjoy teaching when I am on top of things, but I do get frustrated with the piles of paper work - I teach life skills in special ed. I hope that you get your teaching job and that it works out for you. It sounds as if you enjoy teaching and I did not get the impression that the responsibilities of the job get to you. Good luck, get that job and have a great year!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Ummm the first question is regarding your Lamictal and sleeping troubles at night, when are you taking the Lamictal? It can be activating, actually it usually is, so you need to take it in the morning and that should help.

As for working with BP...it is possible. I was dx'd when I was 20...I have been at my current job, Financial Administrator/Stock Analyst for 10 years. So once you get your BP under control somewhat and get your meds working for you...it is possible. The other thing that helps is having a good relationship with your employer, so that if you do go off the deep end, you don't have to worried about getting fired if you miss a few days of work.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

ced33 HB User

I also teach and am on Lamictal. I actually find that the hours I am actually teaching are the best. I walk across the threshold of my classroom and I no longer have bp in the non literal sense. I get so into it that I forget any of my symptoms. I find like the previous poster it is a little harder with coworkers; however, I manage that with cognitive behavioral techniques. You can do it. You sound like a hard working person.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
(female)

totallyclueless HB User

I think it is incredibly hard to be bipolar and hold a job. There are so many thing sthat you can't account for and can't control when they happen. I am a server and I love my job but people are just hateful and degrading sometimes. That is hard because my mouth workd faster than my brain and some days I wonder if I will still have a job at the end of my shift. I work through it, deal with it and attempt to learn from it. I feel I get a little better at controlling my mouth every day, but I'll slip and slide right back to the very beginning.

It is an ongoing battle...keep it up. I's hard but the good days for us always feel wonderful at the end of that day.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
(female)

craziunique HB User

I definitively do!!! I have been at my job for 6 years. During those years I have dealt with co-workers messing me ( pickin on me) harassing me. The stories are endless!! When your supervisor doesnt take your side etc....

I wasn't diagnosed until the year of 2006 - earlier that year the pdoc said depression, but as time went on, it was bipolar. So looking back at all my actions toward my coworkers, my outbursts, no wonder!! I wasn't medicated.

Some of these girls would push me so hard I would cry I couldn't take it anymore. They love to see me crack! I told my boss I couldnt take it anymore, so he moved me to another office ( where his parents worked at) that wasn't any better. Because his dad is a little bit "off" himself. I couldn't say or do anything to complain b/c it my bosses parents. My boss is 2 years younger than me. Besides his mom acted like the supervisor of this small office anyhow.

I was always late, took long lunches - I'm burnt out!! I was on top of my game in the early years. But the harassment and the heavy work load push my backwards. Well then there was this one day. I slept in late and I was late to work, that was there final straw for me. Boss got me out of the office and now I'm working from home - yeah it might sound good, but I'm only working 20 hours a week and a dollar less an hour. I'm so broke!!

But recently, I have to deal with this one
she told my boss im hard to deal with. I barely even talk to her. She tries to find any little thing wrong with my work and my life stressful. She nick picks on everything I do. I swear she has it out for me. She told my boss if he could supervise me instead her, hello??? lady i had to deal with difficult employees - deal with it. OH and i waste her time. She doesnt answer my emails half the time or my IM"s... I swear she makes me so angry at times!!

its called workplace bullying, i still cant believe she is allowed to get away with this!! she is in her early 40's !! grow up lady!! I dont need the stress!!

I still try to keep a positive attitude, in spite of everything

Thanks for ear people!!

unique

Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #7
(female)

patteecake HB User

Thanks for all the replies. When i worked i had some episodes where i'd call my mom crying and felt i couldn't do my job and i wasn't on medication, When i was the episodes were decreased. I have a hard time working more than 3 days, i've got chronic faitgue and Ehlers danlos Syndrome as well. B/c i have looked around at hiring prices and i can only get 12 an hr with my associates, it's no good. I make 1344 a month with mine and my son's ssi combined and 424 in child support even if he don't pay ssi reinburses me for his back arrears in child support all i do is bring in the arrears paper.

I don't want to stay home all the time. I joined a gym and i go 2-3 times a week. I take my son places and i go out with friends and family. I've decided not to work but go back to college for my bacholar's in Education. I want to teach Elementary Education. I am ready to go back and it will be tough with my learning disability. I am detirmined, my dream is to be a teacher. i figure i'll be on Lamictal for 6mths by then and it hopefully will be regulated. I'm going to 75mgs hopefully next friday. I also have been working out and Lamictal has given me energy , i've lost 8lbs in the past month and a half. but i have insomnia and i can't take sleeping pills b/c my son has bi polar as well, asmatha and nite terrors occasionally.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
(female)

jollyjoe123 HB User
Thumbs up Re: do you find it hard to have bipolar and work?

[I worked as a chef for 15yrs before I broke and went on disablity..Your co-workers will alway get the best of you..They can smell weakness and they feed on it..Now I had a great boss in the beining ..He confinced me to go to the hospital to seek professional help..Later found out his mother was Bipolar..So he was wonderful to me..I was late or messed something up he just said that is one of lifes little hurtles..But then he transferred out and I was screwed..I went several times to the hospital for med changes and I felt like a lab rat at times..Now I`m on a cocktail of meds and out of work for the past 2yrs and had some people ask for me to come back and work just a few hrs a wk..Once meds get right the world does not seem to be out to get you my friend..Keep working with your dr.s and group support is important as well..

Closed Thread