It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Artistic ability and Bipolar

Recently I read a book about Creativity and Bipolar disorder...... It stated that Bipolars are more likely to be artistic.......

I design jewelry and make floral creations, I sold them for 15 years..... I really loved those days of creativity.

Does anyone have artistic talents ??

hugs, Caren

Old 08-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Artistic ability and Bipolar

Yes, quite a few. Sadly, I am often too hyper to sit down long enough to do any writing, art, music. But every time I have written something, it's gotten published.

I think we gifted. It goes with the territory. My problem is harnassing that creativity and focusing on it and being calm enough to stick with it. Physical work is fine, I can do a lot of that, but the arts, more trouble.

I really want to do more of these things and hoping I can calm down enough to do them.
The problem with taking tranqs to calm down is that they dull my mind.

What do you do in the arts?

Best,

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
(female)

kym57 HB User

I have always been artistic, I use to love to draw and make things. I still write poetry, but usually when I am depressed. I do think that not just bipolar but many disorders seem to breed creativity in people. If you look at any great artist, writers or actors etc. many of them have had mental disorders. My problem now, like with seaturtle is having is being able to harness my talents. I just dont seem to have the same patience to sit down and do these things. I cant sit down and read a book easily anymore, it depends on my state of mind at the time and I miss that. I always wanted to write a book, that will go on my wish list. Kym

Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

Since I became somewhat stable on my meds, I started writing a book. I'm about finished. Everyone has told me that I am very talented. Maybe it's a blessing to have bipolar?

My father too just finished a book, and he has bipolar as well.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Volve HB User

I was in a choir when I was little. Did good I think. I still sing a bit.

I have taken several painting classes in my adult years. I'm a pretty good painter. But as many of you have said, can't bring myself to do it at any regular basis. So I get no experience. That is kind of important I think.

Was at a painting class. We painted a model laying down. The teacher gave me good credit for it. Much later I took it to look at a frame. I didn't have enought money. The framer or what his title is, looked so thoroughtly at me.
"Have you painted it", I got a bit terrified actually. Didn't dear to ask. Huh :)

Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
(female)

carolyn786 HB User

I'm a singer/songwriter/guitarist. Often I'll be too hyper to sit at my guitar but when I'm like that I just walk around singing into a dictaphone. I find writing music extremely therapeutic when I'm not feeling great, it's a brilliant release. Most of the musicians I know suffer from some sort of mental disorder, my brother is one of the best drummers I've ever seen but has a lot of problems!! The only problem with artistic ability and bipolar that I have found is that a lot of meds can destroy creativity, this is why I'm not currently on meds, but I know a lot of musicians who have not had the same experience.

This is my first post on here, so hey

Carolyn

Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jenny83 HB User
Smile Re: Artistic ability and Bipolar

Hi carolyn, I like drawing and poetry, your message made me think, I have done my best poems and pictures when I have been off meds, unfortunately Im not good at looking after things n lost most of the poems so not sure if Im any good, been back on meds again for a while andnot sure if I can do it now. Might give it a try... Jen x

Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
(male)

eleven8ster HB User

i am bipolar and write songs. when i am really upset or depressed my mind floods with ideas, right now i have so many ideas i can not keep up with the amount of songs! i too have not been on meds in fear it will ruin my creativity! although, i have been losing my mind quite a bit with visualizations lately so i think i might need to go on them at some point.... but we will see..........until then, keep on rockin!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
(female)

SkySky143 HB User

Axl Rose is bipolar.
Jimi hendrix.
Beethoven
Sting.
Edgar Allan poe
'mark twain'
lord byron.
kurt corbain
Charles dickens,
Carrie fisher,
Robin Williams,
Jim Carrey,
Jack Irons, drummer, formerly of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam.
VINCENT VAN GOGH

All have bipolar disorder and they have made famous doing their versions
of art.
the average bipolar IQ is 140.
most are artistically talented in some way.
Fun facts about bipolar pros.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
(female)

lolanash HB User

the state of being bipolar affects me in that i am suddenly creative at times, when i am normally not creative and artistic AT ALL.

suddenly, i will get a feeling like i am at peace with the earth and it is my duty to photograph nature, write poems, etc.

i can produce some really great results in these mood states. i find it pretty amazing, because like i said, normally i am not the slightest bit artistic.

over the last 9 months or so, i've been hit with a couple of manic episodes and during, i've made some fantastic bw photographs. it's pretty crazy! normally i wouldn't have the first clue how to compose a nice photograph.

i am currently teaching myself to process bw film at home.

Closed Thread