It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
When did you first get diagnosed with Bipolar??

I was first diagnosed in 1991... I was in counseling and was told I have bipolar. I then was sent to Oregon Health Sciences center for 8 hours of testing to see if I had bipolar. the tests revealed that I had Bipolar.. I was sent to my family doctor to start. LIthium. but my doctor said he wouldnt start me on Lithuim. because it runins the organs in the body(liver). so I didnt take medication at that time. then in 2006 I had hallucinations and couldnt sleep for 3 days. and so was hospitalized.I was told I had Bipolar. this was when I took it seriously. I am on zyprexa. I have not had any hallucinations since Oct 2006. the Zyprexa stops hallucinations...

hugs, Caren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: When did you first get diagnosed with Bipolar??

I was first diagnosed only two years ago. This, after a lifetime of bp, undiagnosed and untreated.
I'm glad you got the right diagnosis and can get treatment.

Best,

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

totallyclueless HB User

I knew something was wrong with me at 17. I had trouble dealing with life some of the time the other times I would be so hyperactive people thought I was on illegal drugs. My then boyfriend and now husband finally gave me the ultimatum. You know something is wrong, get help or I'm gone.

Though diagnosed and 17 I have been like this my entire life. As a child it manifested in different ways, the most obvious being insomnia and hyperactivity. When I was depressed I would withdraw but no one noticed. It's funny now because I look back and it all makes sense. All the things I did, the person I was and the person I slip up and become at times.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
(female)

meg814 HB User

I was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder a week ago and i have no clue what to think or do.

I have always know something was wrong becuase i would experience these great periods where i was extremely happy and overly energetic and outgoing, but i would get crazy and my family would ask if i was on drugs at some points. Then there would be the low times when i would shut myself in my room for long periods of time and not want to be around people and just hate the world.

I am so lost with this right now and it seems to be depressing me more and i dont want that. I already have Adult ADD and am on ritalin but my doctor thought i should first try wellbutrin for being bipolar, but i just feel unable to function when taking it sometimes. Does it take a while to help or what?

Any words or help would be such a blessing right now!!

Meg

Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
(female)

Lynxgrrrl HB User

Hey Meg,
You and I are in the same boat. That in itself is a positive. I'm not the only one on this dark and scary path. I'm in the throse of diagnoses. A week ago my GP started me on the process towards to diagnoses. Finally someone saw my reality and didnt pat me on the back and tell me this too shall pass. Unfortunately for me I have been too functional for diagnoses. I'm not funcioning well this time.
So much to say, but can't order my thoughts.
Bottom line.....you're not alone.....and nor am I.
Hugs
x

Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
(female)

White Tulip HB User
Smile Re: When did you first get diagnosed with Bipolar??

Hi Meg,

Hang in there. I was got sick when I was 17 and was correctly diagnosed as Bipolar I when I was 19. I was put on medication that I continue to take 24 years. And I am doing very well, if that is helpful for you . . . people can do well with this diagnosis.

Sometimes it takes times for medications to work (e.g. a few weeks), and your doctor can help guide you. Sometimes it is hard to put faith in medical professionals, but you may want to consider following through with your MD's advice regarding medication since he/she just diagnosed you as Bipolar.

I remember how scared I was when I first got sick and the following 1 1/2 years that I was incorrectly diagnosed seemed like a really long time - and it was. Since I was correctly diagnosed in 1984 and started taking the right meds, things have gone really well. You CAN do well with a Bipolar diagnosis. It's not the end of the world, and I'm not sure I really understood that at age 19.

You've just finished your first week of being diagnosed . . . now you move on to the second week . . . and I hope it will be much better for you as time moves forward. I'll send you good vibes your way, and I'm sure the many other people who read this will do the same. Keep posting your updates if you feel like it . . . then we will know how you are doing.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Meg,

Just a word of caution, being placed on an anti-depressant alone for BiPolar treatment can sometimes, actually most of the time, make the manic phases worse. So if you notice an increase in this activity I would definitely called your doc, not sure if your under the care of a pdoc or not.

BTW I was diagnosed 18 years ago, and have been on meds most of the time since, but I am BP with BP Depression and Suicidal tendencies, so i rarely have manic episodes.

Closed Thread