It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
(male)

insideman HB User
Is this bipolar?

Hi guys

I will explain my situation a little.

Since i was a kid - say about 11ish I've never felt right about myself. Always felt there was a cloud over me.

I would have wild mood swings and still have today where I have periods of elation and periods of doom and gloom.

In the last couple of years its got a lot more extreme. I will feel great for no reason and then crap the next.

I've read up about it and bipolar seems to be long periods of each whereas I tend to have maybe half a day of it. I find it hard to believe what is normal anymore. Int he past I've been given drugs for depression but they never worked and its only recently that bipolar got mentioned to me as as possible source.

It is ruining a relationship I am in at the moment as I will be a complete idiot and shout and get angry over nothing. A few hours later I will be giggling and laughing like I am high over nothing.

The way I look at past incidents affects me too - for example I may look at something that happened and it can make me feel really down yet the next time I can look at it and laugh and think so what.

Alcohol has been affecting me a lot too. I will have a few drinks at night (not regulary!) and the next day I will incredibly bad and moody like I just cant cope and want to cry.

I don't know if this is bipolar as I've read that your moods arent always caused by incidents. Some of my moods are like I will feel 100% more elated on friday than monday but then i think is this everyone?

I am seeing a psychocharist soon but is there any guidance?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

taking back HB User
Re: Is this bipolar?

I know it takes a long time to get into see a psychiatrist but don't get discouraged! I was misdiagnosed for 17 years and now that I have finally been properly diagnosed and on medication, the right medication and the right dose, I am doing much better. There are still bad times, I have very bad depression with my bipolar disorder but I do have those highs too. The thing I have the most trouble with is that I will become very aggressive and beligerant out of the blue to the people around me and I used to not understand why at all. It is part of the disease.

I don't know if alcohol can trigger episodes or not but I know narcotics have been shown to. I had a hysterectomy last year and was put on vicodin and it triggered a horrible manic episode, not the elative high, but a very mean, irritable,nastiness. This is actually how and when I was diagnosed. My psychiatrist said that certain medications can do this. He also said that sometimes when people who are bipolar take certain antidepressants it can trigger manic episodes. It all depends on the person and their sensitivity to the medication. Hang in there though! Going to the doctor is the first step in the right direction. If he/she can get your illness under control then you will feel much better, it may take some time for the medicine to build up in your system and for them to get the right combo or dose but as long as you are completely open and honest with your doctor about EVERYTHING that has been going on, have hope that they can help you.

Closed Thread