It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

patteecake HB User
What type of jobs do bipolar people handle stress wise?

I was a teacher for 5 yrs and i don't know if i can handle being one and i don't know what to do? I need help

I love to sing
I love to read
I love to write ( but i'm not a good writer, mostly journal writing)
I am a people person
I love taking care of children, but not a full time basis.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
(female)

sped57 HB User
Re: What type of jobs do bipolar people handle stress wise?

I am currently a teacher for special ed. with the lowest functioning students(life skills). I have been with them for almost 2 years and every day I swear that I can not make it another day. This is only the second week of school and I have wanted to quit seriously two times. The stress of teaching is getting the best of me, but how do you just give up a good job, especially when you have two kids coming up to go to college. There is nothing that I would like better than to quit. I know that I would do better in a job that is more supportive and with people that love their job, rather than complain every day. I don't know what job that would be though. Good luck on your search and I hope that you find the right job!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 04:25 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Volve HB User

I think maybe you should think more of specific workplaces instead of carreres. Perhaps like a smaller school, but I don't know if perhaps kids is a problem? Perhaps teaching adults or older people.

Hope this gave you an Idea?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jenny83 HB User

You sound just like me! You need to be more specific, what do you like to read fact or fiction, if you like both, maybe some kind of research? If you like children but cant handle full time maybe a classroom assistant or supply teacher? In the Uk we have people to help certain children in the classroom like ones with special needs or learning difficulties but that might be a bit more challenging. If you like writing you could take a creative writing course to see if its for you? Just some ideas, hope its helpful, regards Jen x

Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
(female)

patteecake HB User

i called vesid , a counslor who i used to get my associates back in 2001-2005. i am getting my ticket to work, in NY they give you an application and you meet with a counslor and they decide what job is right for you based on a survey of what you like and are able to handle. I love teaching, its not the children, its the hours and the responsibility of making lesson plans, when i'd like a curriculm made for me and all i have to do is bring in the material and do the lesson plans everyday.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Hi,
I think someone hit the nail on the head in an earlier reply... it's the environment in which we work that can make the difference - especially for me...

I'm a research scientist - the job is good for me in that if I have a down day then I can take the back seat, pull away from people and work with whatever is in my test-tubes as opposed to dealing with people. On my better days I can speak to as many people as I want in my job.

Research is a brilliant place for someone like me, with my 'illness'. It gives me the depth to try things outside of the box when I'm feeling that I should try new things.

The difference for me is my managament, I used to be mananged by someone who made my condition much worse and I had a breakdwon under. My psych wrote a report and work placed me under new management. My new manager is fully aware of my condition and my needs and so I can have 'good' days or 'bad' days. He really is a diamond to work for - so much so I got him an award at work (financial) to let him know that I wouldn't be where I am today without him and his support.

So, all in all, research is a good area to look at as there are no set guidelines of what is expected - as any results are new.... AND also managment is another big thing to look for....

Gosh, rambled a bit there - hope it makes sense,

Nut.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
(female)

vickidr48 HB User

I agree - the environment is crucial. I'm working as a secretary in a relaxed environment where I don't have interaction with a lot of people. A lot of my job is paperwork and taking a few trouble calls for our Technicians. The people I work with are great, and if I'm having a bad day, I can slow down and just do paperwork. I've always preferred to work "behind the scenes" rather than directly with people.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
(female)

Jasmine4lakshmi HB User

Maybe you could work from home like I do. So if I am having a bad day, it will not affect my work performance. To help me be more social I visit with friends and family.

Do you have an opinion? Share it with the world by going to http://www.ratinghq.com

Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
(female)

Italia 43 HB User

i am bipolar too. i haven't worked in 4 years. i cant find a job that is not that stressful.. i had passed the post office exam, but when i went into my medical for the post office they asked me nymerous questions about my health. They asked me to prove my diagnoses of bipolar, thyroid and pcos. i did and they told me it took to long. now i have no job.. i had applied for carrier with the post office.. what are good legitimate home based businesses

Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
(female)

tinkerbell78 HB User

i havent been able to work for almost 3 yrs now. at first i was able to go on short term disability from my at the time employeer, when that ran out i applied for SSD, now i didnt just do this on a whim, i had been struggling to function in a job for several yrs, alwasy seemed to be in trouble for missing to much work. i have been struggling with bi-polar since i was 19, now im 29. im glad i finally got my disability approved so that i can focus more on possably getting better instead of being worried constantly about how i would pay my bills.

i hope one day to go back to school and try to find something that will suit me. as far as working from home i have been searching the internet for 2 yrs for a legitimate work from home oppurtunity. all i seem to find is either scam business' that want you to purchase a package from them or companies that re-sell lists of names or email address to try and sell them some junk product, in my oppinion if its a legitimate job then you should never have to pay to "work" for them.

Closed Thread