It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Re: Anyone Misdiagnosed BP & Instead Had Major Depressive Disorder For Years?

Tigger, I'm just like you...so much depression. Unlike Cthebird, none of the ADs push me into mania. Let us know about the ECT. I wish you lots of luck, too and appreciate you posting.

Salty

Old 10-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cthebird, what is your combo of mood stabilizers and are you stable now?

Thank you.

Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dreams, what state are you in? Are you in the east?

Salty

Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Thanks for sharing your experiences with ECT Tigger. I was going to ask you if you had any memory loss immediately following your treatment because I have read that this is what can happen to people sometimes. I'll also be crossing my fingers in the hopes that this next treatment works successfully for you!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
Dreams, what state are you in? Are you in the east?

Salty
I live in Wisconsin.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Dreams, just always wondering where the good pdocs are located.

Sorry to bother you so much, but if you get a chance can you respond to my dep. and risperdal post?

Thanks so much.

Salty

Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger, thanks for posting about ECT. I'm hoping you get great results again.

Salty

Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #38
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

thanks Salty.... me too... I'd hate to go get electrocuted for nothing. haha (sorry I have to find humor in this disease somehow)

Old 10-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know, sweetie. As down as i am, it made me smile. Let us know how it goes.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #40
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

I will.... the worst part is waiting. Since I just came back to work about 3 months ago (luckily paid through a program we have here that didn't impact my actual annual leave) I don't want to be out 3 weeks again so I'm having to contend with this until the first part of December.... it's definitely a struggle coming to work and functioning, luckily my boss is aware of my condition and very supportive (at least to my face - but I do think she is sincere)....

Will let you know how the next round of electricity goes

Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #41
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger, i hope she is sincere and i don't know if you believe in prayer, but i'll pray that you do okay until you have to go and that it will be very successful.

Please keep us all posted. I'm very interested in it.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 10-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #42
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

thanks Salty... me too as I do like my job and of course the money I make.... I think they are supportive mostly because they are women (my supervisor and manager both) and it would be worse to have to retrain someone.... you just don't find that everywhere as many companies would just as soon replace you if you miss a lot of work.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger, i can't imagine how that must feel to like your job and get paid well...that's my second dream come true (you know the first is that someone finds a cure for depression)!

i'm really glad you have that. tigger, how long does the effect of the ECT last? I mean do you go for months feeling better? Maybe it's different each time.

Once again, it's something i've always thought about trying, but have been scared to. I know it works for many people.

Right now I am so tired of going to drs. I just saw my surgeon today, then i have all this dental work to get done and every time i see my dr. for depression, we try a new med and it doesn't work.

Then I think about things like ECT. Do you go to a hospital to have that done? Sorry for the ignorance, i haven't researched it.

Salty

Old 10-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #44
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

Don't be sorry for asking as it was all very new to me.... I was always afraid that someday I would have to have it and all I could think of was the movie One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest! I had never had to be hospitalized before so it was a lot to take in all at one time when I did finally say "nothing's working" HELP.

I was given 3 choiices by my pdoc, (1)meds which hadn't been a good suggestion so far; (2) ECT or (3) a new treatment called TMS which has to do with exposing the brain to magnetic something or other, sounded alittle far out there at the time so I chose ECT.

For the first round of treatment I was in hospital just over a month but that was because I had a bout of losing my marbles after we tried a dual side ECT. They put you to sleep, so you don't remembe anything and then basically create a minor seizure. The amount of treatment you have depends on your depression and pdoc. I had 10 ...... I didn't notice the difference right away, but after about 4 weeks from the start I started noticing how different I was behaving, more social, less grumpy.... our one dog even started paying attention to me (which you have to understand was quite funny as she would avoid me like the plague before) - so I would say I had pretty good success. I'm just hopeing the next round works as well.

Some people are lucky enough from what i've been told to just have one set of treatment and then medication works well. I haven't been that lucky yet. I plan on having another 9 treatments the first 3 weeks of Dec. and then we will do monthly maintenance (1 treatment a month) which I will just go into the hospital in the morning, have the treatment and then go home.

After going through just about all the old time antidepressants/mood stabilisers, etc.... ECT just seemed like it was worth a try.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for writing all that tigger. I appreciate it. I understand much better now and I'm sure others are interested too.

I give you so much credit for doing that. Instead of being brave like you, I'm just sitting by not doing anything right now having been so fed up with meds not working and really tired of going to the dr. so much.

I've got to do something though and I really think it's great that you are doing this and I wish you so much luck.

I was close to doing the vagus nerve stimulator and I chickened out at the last minute.

It's still unbelievable to me with the technology that we have today that someone hasn't come up with something easy to really help depression and bipolar.

Let us know how it goes. I will be thinking about you during that time.

All the best,
Salty

Closed Thread