It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
(male)

BPguy HB User
Weight gain. Taking Seroquel and Depakote

I've been bone skinny my whole life. I started taking Seroquel and Depakote a few months ago and I gained 30 pounds, all in my stomach. I was able to lose 15 pounds and not have a gut that sticks out by sticking to a near starvation diet. As soon as I start to eat what seems to be a normal amount of food my stomach blows up like a balloon. My therapist gave me the names of some other medications and told me to look online and see if I wanted to try a different medication but I lost the names of those drugs. I think one was called "Topomax?" or something like that? I'm Bi-Polar II by the way. Anyone have better experiences with bi-polar drugs that don't make you gain a bunch of weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Weight gain. Taking Seroquel and Depakote

Yes seroquel can make you gain weight. Topomax is just the opposite it tends to make you lose weight...fast, so if you don't have a lot to spare in the first place this may not be the drug for you, it also causes kidney stones in some people. I've been on Topomax for almost 2 years and 4 months after starting it was in the hospital having my first kidney stone surgically removed, I now have my second stone. So you really just have to research the drugs and do the trial and error thing....they all have side effects and can work totally different on 2 different people. Good luck, hope you find some meds that work for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
(female)

tinkerbell78 HB User

i started on seroquel 2 yrs ago and it definatly made me gain wieght, and i cant seem to loose it no matter what. i hardly eat anything but that only seems to make me miserable about something new and no real weight loss. i realize that anxiety and depression definatly do make it hard for me to excersize, i dont want to go out and when u feel so tired all the time who wants to excersize?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
(female)

Italia 43 HB User

WHEN I WAS taking depekote i weighed 125, after being on depekote for 2 years.. i weighed 322pds like nothing.. then just from 2 years of depekote i developed a thyroid condition and ovary issues and insulin issues in which i never had ever before.. then doctor finally switched me to zyprexa then seroquel.. still major weight gain, but was able to drop 40pds after stopping depekote. i am now 280, but i can never seem to get back to me skinny frame of 125.. its depressing..

Closed Thread