It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
(male)

kestrel0222 HB User
New to forum

Hi,

I am new here and would like to introduce myself. I have been diagnosed with Biploar Disorder back in 1994. I still have my "off" days and I am currently not on meds for it.

These "off" days are becoming for frequent lately. I have tried many medications that my doctor prescribed for me, but 99% of them do not really work. The 1% that do work have terrible side affects that I can't live with.

I was wondering if there are any "natural" herbs or special vitamins that might help with this disease?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: New to forum

Welcome to the boards. Sorry to hear of your med troubles. I take some supplements in addition to my medication regimine, but have never heard of anyone being able to manage BP with just herbal or natural meds. If I may ask, how long ago was it that you tried medications? Because in recent years there have been many new ones approved for BP control and there may be something that might work for you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

Welcome to the board.... I think that all B vitamins would help ones mood...

hugs,.Caren

Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

I recently came off my medication for multiple reasons. I have been doing a lot of research on nutrition and supplements. A few things: a GOOD mulitvitamin (shop around, don't get one from the drug or grocery store) I have also been supplementing with triple strength fish oil. A few other essentials are b6, b12, magnesium, vitamin C, as well as regular excercise and a good diet (minimal sugars caffeine alcohol simple carbs). Its much easier said than done, and really is a lifestyle change. I am still working on it. For me, exercise is one of the biggest factors in how my day is going to go.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
(male)

kestrel0222 HB User

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!! Just recently (within the last 2 months), my doctor asked me what I took for meds when I was actively taking them (about 4 years ago). I must tell you that I have relocated to a different part of the country since I took these meds originally.

I told him that the last meds I was taking was Depakote. He said that he did not want to try any of the newer ones because he was unsure of the long term side affects. I was reluctant to go back to the older meds, I wanted to try some of the new ones, but again, he refused. So I accepted the perscription for Depakote, well, they did not really help at all. Maybe it's time to find a new doctor?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

After knowing whar I know now, I would have done all I could to avoid medication in the first place. I had no idea how terrible they can be. I also feel like doctors don't give you options or help in the way of alternatives, and if your doctor is hesitant to put you on meds, I say you found a good doctor. From my personal experience, between myself and people I know, bipolar is extremely diagnosed. Obviously just my opinion, but if your moods are not putting you or anyone else in danger, I'd say try everything else first. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Kesrel,

I think you have actually hit the nail on the head and found the answer for yourself....find a new Psychiatrist! Remember they are there to work with you, anyways the good ones are. Find one that will listen to you and work with you and let you try things that you've researched and think will help. A good pdoc (psych) should not just refuse to try new meds because of side effects and stick with old meds.
Good luck to you.

Closed Thread