It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

totallyclueless HB User
Yay Lamictal

I am a rapid cycler and it was completely disrupting my life. It was honestly ridiculous how fast I could cycle. One minute I was fine, the next not so much. I was completely miserable. I hated myself, I felt stupid, worthless and dysfunctional. I got on Lamictal about 3 years ago and it literally saved my life. 90 percent of the time I feel as normal as can be expected. Any emotions I feel that are out of control I can easily contain.

I am curious to know how many of you found Lamictal to be a "wonder drug" and how many did not. I know it saved my work life and my marriage. I can be a mother, wife, emloyee and friend. I would hate to think where I would be without it.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
(female)

Luanne72 HB User
Re: Yay Lamictal

I agree with everything you said. I'm a rapid cycler too and Lamictal makes me feel as normal as I imagine I'll ever feel. (But not boring!) I've been taking it for a little over a year.

So I second your "yay".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
(female)

SkySky143 HB User

Hi my name is Sky, and I am new here.
here is a quick spill on my situation.

I have bipolar disorder 1 but just recently (about a month) i have been thrown into a rapid cycle, going from opposite ends of the spectrum, or finding myself in a 'mixed state' - which is being depressive and manic at the same time, maybe being sluggish and slow and having racing thoughts anyway, for example. It's been horrid and has rendered me unable to cope with daily life. I am in a really ill state

but ANYWAY I have been on lithium and 200 mg of lamictal since my diagnosis, not for size for severity, and it has done wonders.. but soon after the lamictal has been causing psychosis. Like visual hallucinations, and i'm having to be weened off of it and put on Geodone. But my medicine has worked until recently and they are doing alot of changes because of the sudden dip in wellness in the bipolar area :/
which kind sucks :[ alot.

But I have a question - did anyone ever have vision changes or just a weirdness in what you saw. Like maybe certain textures moving - like pop corn ceilings?
As a side effect of even a medicine?
Or has anyone ever heard of that due to Lamictal??

My doctor calls it a hallucination due to the medicine but I find that word a tad bit harsh for the situation..

This might sound like an odd question?

Well thanks - any feedback is needed AND appreciated GREATLY!!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #4
(female)

patteecake HB User

i would say lamictal is def the right med for me, i've been on it since the end of july and at first had some rocky espisodes, but it got better. i've been having less aniexty attacks, now that the stress is gone my house had 11 people and now its 7. i'm no longer being a personal assistant and home health aide to my sister. also i've been in counseling a yr and that has helped as well.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

1. Lamictal has been my miracle drug, the only thing that lifted me out of my depression (and has kept me not-depressed for a year--a record so far.)

2. I ended up halucinating on Geodone and it started with somthing like you're describing--certain things began to shift in odd ways, I can't really describe it except to say that objects (walls, curtains, clothing) moved in a snake-like way--sort of gliding. It pretty quickly progressed to full-blown hallucinations (dancing animals.) So I would keep in close touch with your doctor.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
(female)

totallyclueless HB User

Dear Sky,

The only thing remotely similar, that I have experiences, is vivid dreams. I tend to dream at night as well as daydream. The dreams were very weird and really freaked me out, but overtime they have mellowed into something less menacing and much more tolerable.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
(female)

SkySky143 HB User

But the gliding - snake movment things sounds about right.
vivid freaky dreams too. but that's also come with my bipolar.

they put me on geodone to control that, so i guess i am topsy truvy when it comes to
medication.

but thank you guys

Closed Thread