It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
(female)

SkySky143 HB User
Psychosis and visualizations question for you guys...

Hi my name is Sky, and I am new here.
here is a quick spill on my situation.

I have bipolar disorder 1 but just recently (about a month) i have been thrown into a rapid cycle, going from opposite ends of the spectrum, or finding myself in a 'mixed state' - which is being depressive and manic at the same time, maybe being sluggish and slow and having racing thoughts anyway, for example. It's been horrid and has rendered me unable to cope with daily life. I am in a really ill state

but ANYWAY I have been on lithium and 200 mg of lamictal since my diagnosis, not for size for severity, and it has done wonders.. but soon after the lamictal has been causing psychosis. Like visual hallucinations, and i'm having to be weened off of it and put on Geodone. But my medicine has worked until recently and they are doing alot of changes because of the sudden dip in wellness in the bipolar area :/
which kind sucks :[ alot.

But I have a question - did anyone ever have vision changes or just a weirdness in what you saw. Like maybe certain textures moving - like pop corn ceilings?
As a side effect of even a medicine?
Or has anyone ever heard of that due to Lamictal??

My doctor calls it a hallucination due to the medicine but I find that word a tad bit harsh for the situation..

This might sound like an odd question?

Well thanks - any feedback is needed AND appreciated GREATLY!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
(male)

northstar15 HB User
Re: Psychosis and visualizations question for you guys...

Actually had the same experience while on Lamictal. I started seeing shapes coming out of space and everything appeared differently for about two hours. Also heard voices. Everything moved extremely fast.

I've never done any recreational drugs, but I imagine this is what the really really intense ones cause you to feel/see.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

totallyclueless HB User

I take Lamictal and have been on it for years. The only side effect I have had are bad dreams. I have outrageous, off the wall and very frightening dreams. However, the longer I take it I have noticed a decline in the dreams. I do think if your effects are that radical you need to call the doc immediately. I would hate for something bed to happen due to the altered state of mind.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

SkySky143 HB User

I'm hoping it goes away,

It stops my concentration and reading is hard because the letters seem to move.

northstar - did they take you off of the medicine? and when/if the did,
did it stop?

I'm really questioning if this visualization is just my bipolar, not the medicine.
cuz it isn't getting better. and when i get upset, it gets worse.

eek.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
(male)

eleven8ster HB User

i have a friend taht experienced that on depakote when he got high. also i experience trippy stuff all the time now...... not very real just lots of shifting in patterns on walls, and spots of color a lot. a lot of medicines can do the opposite of what they are meant for for some reason. so it's very possible it's because of the medicine........oh and my mom saw oblong spots of yellow while on wellbutrin! hope that helped!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Do you mean that he experienced psychosic and/or visualizations on Depakote while getting high on illegal substances at the same time?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Your doc may well be right: hallucinations can be a side effect of Lamictal.
Are you off it yet? And how are you doing?

I hope you can get off the Lamictal soon and that these will stop for you.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
(female)

tanya81 HB User
Wink Re: Psychosis and visualizations question for you guys...

I was on lamictal for a while and it did wonders for me. I never experienced hallucinations or anything to that effect. That is a huge red flag and its good your dr is weening you off of it. I took myself off and did it cold turkey. Which wasn't the best idea, but I did it anyways. I don't recommend going cold turkey, especially with effexor. Its a nasty feeling. Anyways, be a good patient and listen to your psychiatrist. This is not something that is going to go away, remember the medications dont cure they just help with symptoms. And the road ahead of you can and will be difficult at times, but you have to endure.

Closed Thread