It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

kitten0101 HB User
Bipolar and Disability

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and I would like to ask a question, but first let me tell you a little about myself. I have bipolar mania and borderline personality disorder and I was diagnosed about 2 years ago but have lived with these disorders all of my life.

I always new there was something medically wrong with me but my family convinced me that I was just a bad kid or I was just running around with the wrong people. I am married to my second husband which I almost lost had I not gotten help. My first husband I left because I was afraid I would kill him because I tried many times. I am now on Depakote, Lithium, and Prozac. I have never in my life been able to hold a job I have had probably 30 jobs or more and they usuall don't last but a couple of months. So my question is "Is this grounds for disability?"

I am always getting fired because of my attitude and here recently because I am bipolar which I don't think is fair because if I was physically challenged would they treat me the same way?

Well thanks to everyone who took time to read this and a big thank you to any one with advise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
(female)

Bunnylover HB User
Re: Bipolar and Disability

The short answer is that some of us work, and some of us are on disability. So yes, it is possible, although my understanding is it isn't an easy process. I believe there's a healthboards forum for disability stuff, you might check there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
(female)

seaturtle1 HB User

Welcome,

I second that: yes, it is, bipolar is one of the disorder listed as eligible for disability.
You'll have to provide letters from doctors, probably a history of work history, and statements from professionals that you cannot hold a job.

Do apply as soon as possible, it's a long process sometimes, although I got approved on the first try (but I have other disorders, too, and it was a while ago).

It would give you time to get yourself on the right meds and in good therapy, too.

Keep posting -there's terrific support here. Let us know how it goes, okay>

Seaturtle

Old 09-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
(male)

Married2BP HB User

You can get disability with Bipolar - in fact it's the 6th leading cause of disability worldwide. Find a good psychiatrist to help you, preferably one who knows how the system works. Don't lose your steam if you're rejected the first time, that will happen most of the time. Stick to it, and get your medical records in line and you should be all right.

For many, many people afflicted with BP - even on meds - there is little hope of navigating the social complexities of the workplace.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread