It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
(male)

urbandale HB User
Did prozac make you manic permanently?

I was on prozac for about 10 years. It worked great for most of that time. But it started to not do its thing. And I slowly started getting more and more irritable. Lexapro works for me, but I still get these irritable fits.
My question is. Did anybody else take prozac and have this situation? I'm also wondering if my age 44 is taking a toll, due to increased stress hormones. On the one hand I've always been kind of spazzy but not like this.

Also, am I the only person on here without any other family members who have depression? I feel so left out. No humor intended. I mean my mom was "high strung" as they used to call it, but she has hyper thyroidism. My thyroid is fine. So is all of my other blood work. Thank god.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
(female)

GENEVA40 HB User
Re: Did prozac make you manic permanently?

i took prozac for 5 yrs and then switched to effexor...75.. then to 150 now thats not working... im going to my dr to see if we can find a different med.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

mowgli HB User

I could never take any anti-depressants- they would all send me haywire. Some it was like being on speed, and others would get my anxiety so high I would be curled up in a corner. The SSRI's were the worst.
I now take Cymbalta, with Lithium and Seroquel. They work really well together. I get no side effects from any now they are established, other than the seroquel wiping me out sometimes.
Do you take a mood stabilizer?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User

I'm like Mowgli, the anti-s were very bad for me. I was on them for 7 years and being a 100% compliant patient and not knowing any better, I kept taking what I was prescribed. My whole life (and believe me I am not exaggerating) when down the drain and early last year I nearly died as a result. I came to a town mdi-last year and was lucky enough to find a psych who picked what was wrong really soon. All SSRI's are lethal for me. I WISH I HAD HAD DIALOGUES LIKE THIS THREAD YEARS AGO, AND WOULD HAVE KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING AND STOPPED IT!!!! I am an assertive consumer of mental health services, but I didn't know I was being prescribed nearly to death. I was being "chemically engineered" to end myself. (not deliberately by the psychs I saw of course - there was a whole other dynamic going with them I now know).

I asked this exact question of my psych the last time I saw him - do the SSRI's cause permament damge to the organic nature of the brain - chemicals imbalances etc. He said no and I believe him - he is an excellent diagnostician. But for someone like me, for whom SSRI's are CONTRAINDICATED, the long term damage is in the realm of the Plastic Brain, ie, we have been forced to be so extremely mentally ill for such a long time, it changes the pathways in the brain and, certainly in my case, I was suicidal every day for YEARS, that it is taking a monumental effort to change those REAL tracks which have been laid down in the brain. I, frankly, don't know if I ever will recover enough to be functional and peaceful, this stuff could definitely still do me in, but I am working through meds changes and adjustments as well as being neck down in very rigorous and difficult therapeutic strategies (very hard, very tiring). I hope this all makes sense.

Wendy

Closed Thread