It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
RadioGuy959

Bipolar and off the meds

Hi All,

I am new to the board. I am bi-polar (and I am a guy with Fibromyalgia...). I was on Wellbutrin (for depression), Lamactil (for mood swings), Ativan (for anxiety), and Lyrica (for the fibro).

Late last year, a company I owned went under, so I lost my insurance...until I went out and got a real job. When the insurance went, so did the meds and the psyche doctor. I continued paying for the Lyrica, because it's great for pain...and gives me energy and is good for depression. It DOES, sometimes, bring on hypomania. I have relocated to another city and have just started the search for a new doctor.

Well...is it normal to really WANT the hypomania/manic phases. When I am in that state, I feel great, have energy, can think, etc. The problem, I do stupid things with money, say stupid things before thinking, all the things that go along with that. The Lamactil seems to keep me in the dumps!

Since last December, I have been off everything, but the Lyrica. There have been times I have gone without that and had withdrawls and really felt like I was gonna crack! In fact, right after my company went under, I really thought I was gonna end up in the hospital. My wife and others around me were really concerned. I cried, and in a couple instances, found myself going into a rage. When I say rage...I am not talking AK-47 type rage...just lashing out at people, things, etc. I really worry about my eight year old...that, some day I may find she is bi-polar. Like her dad, she is rather intelligent. Not trying to be vain, I have an IQ in the 150's for what that is worth...but, in school, I was on underacheiver...she is reading 2 grade levels higher than where she is in school. So, I see differences, but at times, when she gets upset, etc; I am like, "oh no"...but, she's probably just being a kid.

I know I have addressed more than one concern above...but, I would really like to know about anyone else's experiences, that have quit the meds cold turkey. How do you 'keep things under control' when you are manic? Any suggestions for finding a progressive/proactive doctor. I've moved from a city of 18,000 to a city of almost 300,000...so, there should be some good resources here. Your ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
(female)

Dianescat HB User
Re: Bipolar and off the meds

This is prob too late for the poster, but my friend is bi-polar and on lithium. She has recently been prescribed lamactil and I am looking to learn more about it for her. The doctor said it would increase mood stabilization as well as decreasing anxiety.

Sorry I guess I'm not supposed to post here. I will just read what others say about this drug...

Last edited by Dianescat; 11-05-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: addition

Old 11-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User

Radioguy, I think you are very brave, having to go off your meds and still getting on with life. I am always interested to hear/read about people who go off psych meds. It's not something I would plan to do - I assume I will be on psych meds the rest of my life and I am comfortable with that. Also, I am on a Disability Support Pension and while that is under the Poverty line (and I too was a High Achiever, especially compared to my family), I use my savings to live. But in Australia we are lucky that if you are on that pension, you get a Health Care Card and public meds are about $5. Private ones, which I sometimes need, cost a lot. We also have public psychiatric and psychological services. The standard of care was very poor for a long time (I moved from a city of 4million to a town of 30,000), but I have now advocated for myself long and hard and I actually have the best standard of care I have ever had. (I was mis-prescribed antidepressants for 6-7 years and I nearly died as a result).

I am very isolated in terms of family and friends as they have bailed as I have mental illness, and more bailed when I did try to suicide in Feb 2008. I have also had to turn away family with unaddressed addiction and mental illness. (I have Bipolar II and panic and anxiety disorders and I am also a 10 years sober alcoholic in AA).

Old 11-06-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hey guys, not sure if you know but I believe that post is over 1 yr old (9-30-2008). Look at date upper left hand corner.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User

Thanks Tatoos, I saw it highlighted so went on in. Maybe the system should have a sunset on old posts?

Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

Dianescat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy489 View Post
Thanks Tatoos, I saw it highlighted so went on in. Maybe the system should have a sunset on old posts?
Sorry again, I didn't know there was a rule about old posts..I did a search for lamactil and this one came up... Too bad no one replied to Radioguy when he was still around..

Last edited by Dianescat; 11-07-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianescat View Post
Sorry again, I didn't know there was a rule about old posts..I did a search for lamactil and this one came up... Too bad no one replied to Radioguy when he was still around..
Just thought I'd let ya know....before I realized it was old myself, I wanted to respond!

Closed Thread