It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

Bunnylover HB User
hypomanic and miserable

Last week seemed good, I had a really encouraging meeting with my advisor about my dissertation, I was getting lots of work done (of an objectively high quality--not being grandious). I wondered if I was getting a little hypo-manic, but figured that since I was getting work done, not to worry about it. Well, by Monday I am a basket case--I can't work, I'm doing crazy stuff like rediagraming my dissertation, instead of working (not that diagramming is bad, but for me it's always a sign of mania), decididing to move all my workspace into my bedroom, because that will make it better. My mind is going 1000 miles an minute, and can't focus on more than one thing at all.

So, a rant--I thought at least with all the crud that goes with being manic, you should at least feel good? All I feel is panicky and terrified I'm not getting enough work done.

And a question--how long will this take to resolve? I called my pdoc Monday morning, he told me to take the seroquel up from 75-100mg. that evening. If I didn't see an improvement, to take it up another 25 mg. the next night, then to call him Thursday (he's away celebrating Rosh Hashana so I really don't want to disturb him, although he reminded me that I can).

Any thoughts, experiences? This is my first hypomanic episode since diagnosis that's lasted more than 1 day, so I don't know what to expect. Does my pdoc's approach seem reasonable? (he knows I am reluctant to add in new medications if at all possible.)

Other basic info: I take 100mg lamictal for depression (and can't give it up, it is the miracle that saved me, literally), and cymbalta, 60 for anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Re: hypomanic and miserable

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time right now............ the medicine is what will stop the mania. always take your meds....

hugs, Caren..... Bipolar 1

Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenR View Post
I am so sorry that you are having a hard time right now............ the medicine is what will stop the mania. always take your meds....
That's what's so frustrating. I have been taking my meds faithfully, I always do. Just for some reason they have stopped working, and the adjustments my pdoc suggested haven't led to any improvements. We talk again tomorrow, hopefully he'll come up with a new idea.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Just IMHO, your doctor's recommendation sounds very reasonable to me. I hope it works for you.

Seaturtle

Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Thanks, but I do always take my meds. That's why I'm so frustrated--the meds seem to have stopped working and I don't know why and I'm worried about what happens next. I check in with my pdoc tomorrow, hopefully he'll have a new idea or two.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Thanks for listening--this is all so frustrating.

Talked to my doctor this morning. He gave me 25mg. of seroquel this morning, to see if we could more rapidly bring this under control, and tonight I'm going up to 150 (or 175 if I fee like I need it). We'll talk again tomorrow.

I didn't want to bother my doctor with this question (I'll ask at my appointment next week) is will I only need the increased medication (currently double my prior dose) all the time from now on, or is it possible I can learn to watch carefully for signs of mania emerging and and then go back on the higher dose?

Does anyone know what is usually done?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
(female)

patteecake HB User

lamictal is a life saver for me as well. I take 50mgs and i want to go to 75mgs. I have an appointment next friday. i have hypo manic episodes as well. its driving me nuts. I'm hard to live with. I constantly fight with my family about stupid things and i apologize later. Do you live with family or alone?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

I live with my husband, and a wide variety of pets (who help my mental health a great deal.) Thankfully, DH is supportive, but right now that's not enough--I also need to not be manic.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
(female)

patteecake HB User

what are you taking serqul ( spelling) for?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I don't know about usually, but I have a couple of bp friends who take the Seroquel when they get too wound up and cannot sleep. The Seroquel calms them down, and then they go off it. For them, anyway, it's a good med prn.

I'm sure your doc will tell you for sure, but thought I'd pass this one.

Seaturtle

Old 10-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteecake View Post
what are you taking serqul ( spelling) for?
Sleep, primarily. I don't sleep, 3am to 6am, haven't for years--that's when I tend to be hypomanic. The seroquel gets rid of that. Also, it controls the anxiety nicely, and since starting the lamictal I'd had a couple mildly hypomanic days, and it seemed to have eliminated those (until this last episode.) As a nice side effect, it has dropped the number of migraines I get from 3-4 a week to 2-3 a month.

So Thursday, at my doctor's direction, I took 150mg., and Friday was too zonked to even get out of bed until 3pm.

Last night I took 125, so we'll see how today goes.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
(female)

patteecake HB User

do you still wake up or does this med keep you in a deep sleep? i have insomina and i haven't had any good sleep, i'll wake up around 12-3 and be up for 2-3 hrs and be exhusted in the morning, plus i have a child who gets up late b/c he has chronic faitgue. he also has asmatha, i'm afraid of taking the pills and what if he has an asmatha attack or he's thirsty.

Closed Thread