It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

redtoenails HB User
depressed and bored

I am slightly depressed and bored. Things are somewhat stressful at home and that is not helping anything. I am in college and need to get my schoolwork done but have no motivation. I just want to lay in bed and try to sleep. I was stable until now. I want to continue doing well in school but that won't happen unless I do some work. How do you get motivated to do things when your mind is fighting you?

redtoenails

Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
(female)

lolanash HB User
Re: depressed and bored

hi there,

i am a student also, so i know what you mean about lack of motivation

i find i am really leaving things until the last minute. like, here it is, 9 pm, and i have a paper due in the morning that i have not started yet. i just have no desire to do it.

what works for me, i guess, is just the ultimate realization in the end that it needs to be done. even though i am not at all interested in the subject matter right now, i have to remind myself that if i want a stable future, i've got to take steps to ensure a good income.

it is really hard to stay motivated, so i feel your pain. i get really bored when i'm depressed, nothing is fun, yet i am craving to do SOMETHING. i get restless and i can't just sit still, calm down, and focus on my work.

good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

redtoenails HB User

thanks I try to stay focused on a stable future but sometimes that seems more like a fantasy. I hope you got your paper done on time.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

brit5467 HB User

I feel for you. I remember times when NOTHING could pull me out of my bed and I just wanted to eat and sleep. But when you're not THAT low and do have some sense of 'control' -- I have found that making lists help. That sounds so simple -- but for me, when I was depressed, everything seemed so overwhelming and I'd get confused as to what to do first.

Like, when I finally DID get up, I'd know I needed to shower but wanted to change my sheets but knew I needed to fix breakfast but had dishes in the sink to wash first.

All such simple tasks to 'normal' people but overwhelming for me. So I'd sit myself down as to focus my brain and make the list up. Then, I'd prioritize. Which did I need to do first? Then second? Getting the stuff out of my head and on paper really helped. Plus, you feel a sense of accomplishment when you can cross thru the things you've completed.

Also, like that movie with Bill Murray and Richard Dryfuss, where Richard is the shrink....he talks of 'baby steps.' Just writing down (for instance) "Get paper done" is so overwhelming. Whereas if you break it down into steps, "go buy copy paper, research 'whatever' on the web,' print out ---, make copies of ---," etc. then it seems less overwhelming.

I mean, for laundry, I'd even write, "sort, wash, dry, hang up or fold, and put away" because there ARE that many steps to it. And for me, it might take two days to get thru all those steps so at least I could cross thru a couple as I got them done instead of the words "DO LAUNDRY" still staring at me, not crossed out because I was not completely done.

And I kept this list in a spiral notebook, not on a piece of paper. That way, I could always look back at my accomplishments. I also used the book for writing down ANYTHING that clogged up my head, like 'thing to remember', appts., addresses, ideas, etc. I guess it was kinda like my Daytimer. Or I guess now, you guys use a Palm Pilot? Or is it a Blackberry? Or is there something even NEWER??? I'm telling my age now, huh??

Anyway....just an idea. Best wishes to you !

Closed Thread