It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

PenguinLove HB User
Is it really Bipolar Disorder?

I was diagnosed with BPD in June of 2006.

Thinking back to the day I was diagnosed....I think I exaggerated some symptoms...or even lied.
I wasn't trying to pretend like something was wrong with me to get attention....I was just tired of feeling the way I did and I wanted an answer fast. Plus, I knew my brother was diagnosed with BPD a while back....and it just made sense to me at the time.

I had anorexia (undiagnosed) in high school....and I was a cutter. I had thoughts of suicide....but I never really planned anything out. I also wanted to go to college so badly. Then, when I was a senior in high school...I felt unbalanced in emotions. I was really irritated...and I would say really obnoxious things to people...but that was only in other classes. I was the leader of the marching band...and I would feel irritated...but I wouldn't say obnoxious things in that class.

Could it be that I am saying exactly what I feel most of the time because of issues I had as a child? My family would put me down a lot...and I wouldn't say anything to them. Could I just be lashing out because I am afraid of not being heard? And...lately....I have been very outspoken....My fiance and I broke up in May and things happened during that relationship that I didn't tell anyone about until after we broke up. And, after I told people, they didn't believe me at all.

Could my "symptoms of bipolar disorder" just be a late occurance of PTSD? I heard that it could happen later in life....
My Grandfather died the summer before 5th grade and it changed my life forever. I didn't even get to say goodbye....he just went into the hospital with gall stones....and should have came out alive.

Anyway....I am just wondering if I could have been misdiagnosed. And...if I have been....how do I fix that?
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
(male)

madness86 HB User
Re: Is it really Bipolar Disorder?

It's hard to really know what is a disorder and what's not. At least in my experience of a year. I'm no doctor but I do believe there are some doctors out there that take their certification as one to the next level. To be honest, it sounds more like PTSD to me because all the symptoms correlate to traumatic events. I have one: Do the symptoms occur frequently in a given week or do they come on sporadically with thoughts of the previous traumas?

I have not been misdiagnosed personally, but I think a natural cure would be better for me rather than putting man-made pharmaceutical drugs into my system. I know I'm a little outspoken but I'm 22 years old and It should be my time to make decisions on my own without "advice" that's typical.

Good luck man, hopefully you find your solutions out there...

Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Is it really Bipolar Disorder?

Penguin,

Do you have a pdoc? If so it sounds like perhaps you should go to him and tell him exactly what you just told us and let him tell you if he thinks you need to be reevaluated for a new diagnosis. I don't know how your's is *lol* but mines not shy, he'd tell me in a heartbeat if he didn't think I had what I said I did. But it will require complete honesty on your side. So good luck and have faith in yourself that you can do it.

Closed Thread