It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

shfiven252 HB User
What drugs worked for you?

Hi guys. I'm off my meds right now because I lost my health insurance in May, and I'm having some issues, but I'm getting insurance back in December. Unfortunately, I feel like the zoloft and depakote I was taking had far too many side effects and not nearly enough benefits. Has anybody else with BP2 taken a different combo of drugs that has worked well for them that I could ask my doctor about? I'm not looking for medical advice, per se, just want alternatives to ask about to see if they might work better for me than what I was taking before.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Re: What drugs worked for you?

welcome to the board...

I take zyprexa although in higher doses it makes you groggy and unable to drive.. I take it at night. only so it wears off by morning,,,

caren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I never found the SSRI's to be of any help. Lamictal has been a wonder drug for me, along with Wellbutrin and some benzos when I need them. I hope you are able to afford some meds soon. Explore around - it's the only way, experiment, trial and error, and you'll find something that works.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
(female)

Cthebird HB User

The med that has made the most difference in my life is Risperdal. It has worked when no others have. However, I just had to stop this med after tests showed elevated prolactin level (have no period, and used to lactate). Now I take Abilify instead and am also on Lamictal and Trileptal. I have been stable for about 1 year, but must repeat that it was the Risperdal that got me to this point. I do, however, think that the other meds are good at keeping me stable. Not sure how I'll do in the future when I'm battling an episode.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

When I was there in the states I was taking lamictal and lexapro which seemed to help somewhat. Since I've been australia the best combination of meds I have had so far has been Cymbalta, Zyprexa and Lithium. The combination of these 3 has been the best since my diagnosis 5+ years ago. I unfortunately have very stubborn BP2 depression and my meds don't hold as well as they used to, so I will more than likely have to do once monthly ECT treatment. Good luck and as others have said just keep trying as it seems to be trial and error to find a good combination! Good Luck

Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I've been taking Depakote (500 mg three times/day), Risperdal (4 mg at bedtime) and Trazodone (100 mg at bedtime) since my diagnosis in 2006. All of these meds have been effective in helping to control my manic symptoms. The Risperdal also helps keep my anger in check as well as keeping my auditory hallucinations and paranoia at bay.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
(female)

totallyclueless HB User

Lamictal has been incredible for me!! I take it to help level me out. I also take Buspar for anxiety and mania because the Lamictal keeps me a little up.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
(female)

katcar897 HB User

Hi,

I take prozac 40mg a day and depacote 500mg twice a day, since my prozac was upped I feel a lot better

Closed Thread