It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
How long do meds stay in your system.

I'm weening off my meds cause they just didn't work.
I was taking Celexa, Zyprexa and Klonopin.
Now i'm going for this state job. Traffic enforcement agent job.
I dont want them to know I was taking these meds.
Does anyone know how long these meds stay in your system?
Is it like a month?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
(female)

craziunique HB User
Re: How long do meds stay in your system.

Why are you going off your meds? I understand its for a state job, but you can tell them you have a prescription for them. There are privacy laws as well. If you are going into law enforcement, you should be able to do some legel research on the subject. I'm a paralegel, I love researching no matter what the subject is!!

But going off your meds, wouldnt that put you in a worst spot? Since that type of job is stressful...

peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

It depends on the medication--every medication has a half-life, how long it takes for your levels to drop 50%. Some medications (e.g. xanax) clear the system very rapidly, in a matter of hours, others take several days (e.g. cymbalta). I assume (and hope) you are working with your doctor as you stop taking your medications, ask him or her how long your particular drugs will take to leave your system.

I do agree with the previous poster, they can't refuse to hire you because of prescription medications, and I think usually the companies doing the testing only report illegal medications to the employer, not prescription drugs.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
(female)

totallyclueless HB User

I agree with crazi. There was a reason you were put on the meds. Have you forgotten what that feels like? I do not recommend going off of them without consulting your doctor. I know Lamictal isn't a med you want to quit cold turkey. It can cause a horrible psychological reaction.

The Lamictal stays on your system for approx. 2 weeks. This is give or take becauce everyone metabolizes things at a different rate. My doc told me that it would take about two wooks when I had to stop due to pregnancy, this is because I had a slow metabolism and I was on birth control pills which causes the meds to leave our body at a reduced rate.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

cocos421 HB User

Employers can be jerks about meds sometimes. I worked for the post office back in 1993 and at the time I was only taking Prozac. I thought only Human Resources would read my info, but the head honcho found out I was on Prozac and she spread the word to the other supervisors. She wanted to know what Prozac was and why I was taking it. Of course, she didn't ask me directly, just talked about it behind my back.
Since my finding out, I felt like I was labeled as a "psycho".

Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

The Klonipin also can be very hard if you just drop it, benzo's are notorious for causing withdrawals is you don't taper them down over a period of time.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I agree with all of the above answers, but will add that if you're drug tested (I assume that this is your concern), they can't reject you for prescription meds.
It is illegal, against the ADA, to refuse employment or fire someone because of mental illness. If you can do the job, they must treat you as they would any other applicant.

A suggestion: find the website for the ADA and post your situation to them.
They might be able to help you out here.

Discrimination against those with mental illness has thankfully become illegal in our country.

Let us know how it goes!
Seaturtle

Closed Thread