It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
(male)

SC guy HB User
Question about Job interview

Iv been having interviews for an accounting internship and I was wondering what I would say if the question came up: What are you most proud of or what is your greatest accomplishment?

The real answer to this is dealing with bipolarism and seeing how greatly I have improved over the last two years, which is when I had to be hospitalized and was diagnosed. Im very proud of my ability to handle this illness and its not the type of thing you get patted on the back for everyday.

What is your take on this? Should I just not mention the whole bipolar thing and just make up some BS answer? I don't really have any GREAT accomplishment this far in my life, well unless you count graduating from college, but that doesn't sound so great when your in grad school, everyone's done that. How would you guys answer this if you were in my situation?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
(male)

northstar15 HB User
Re: Question about Job interview

Some may disagree with me, but I would say if you want the job, don't do it and if it doesn't interfere with your work then there's no need to tell your employer that your bipolar.

I applaud you for recovering though and it is something to be proud of. I feel that dealing with being bipolar has been the most trying thing of my life as well. However, for this situation find something else that your proud of for public consumption so to speak.

Sad to say the stigma still exists, if you had overcome cancer that had a chance of coming back it's seen as an inspiration but as soon as you bring up mental illness that's not something that an employer wants to deal with. The guy/girl your dealing with is into finance and accounting, chances are he's not accurately familiar with bipolar disorder.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you get the internship.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
(female)

tigger5150 HB User
Re: Question about Job interview

Don't you wish you could really say that since as you said it's a pretty good accomplishment..... Not sure I would use it in an interview as despite the fact that depression and mental illness in general is becoming more recognized in a better light, there are still those out there that may find it as a hinderance......

Can you focus on the fact that you have done grad school despite have obstacles in your path or something. BTW -- congrats on getting through grad school!!!

Closed Thread