It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Question about Others Recognizing Mania

Hi everyone,

Today I had a tdoc appointment and it went really well.

However, during the session my tdoc told me he thought I was manic. If truth be told, I don't feel as if I am. I know talking rapidly is one sign of mania, but when I think about today's appointment, I don't think I was talking all *that* fast.

This experience frightens me a little because in the past, I've always been able to recognize when I'm manic. Now I wonder if there will be more instances where I'm manic, but don't recognize that I am. The last thing I want is to end up in the hospital because of a severe manic episode.

My question is this: Have you ever had someone tell you that you were manic even though you didn't believe this was the case? If so, what happened?

Worried and confused,
dreams in neon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

cocos421 HB User
Re: Question about Others Recognizing Mania

I've had my therapist suggest that I was manic and even look at me strangely because I was super happy and telling her funny stories and then trying to be serious for her. I told her I was not manic, that I just had an energy drink and was happy. She didn't do anything about it. Nor did I. I just went on feeling good for a few days. Then I realized, yes, I was manic, because the depression came and I was down for about a day or 2. Luckily my depressions don't get all that bad and don't last very long.
So, to answer your question, I do not notice my mania at the time, when others may, but I don not do anything about it. I ride it out. I like the feeling.
My manias do not usually get me into trouble.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your reply!

Your mania sounds alot like mine (i.e. experiencing depression for a day or two following mania). My symptoms are usually mild to moderate and in the past, I've always been able to recognize a manic episode before things got too bad. However, this time I couldn't. As it turned out, I *was* manic. I was extremely happy for awhile, then irritable and finally, depressed. Now that this has happend to me, I'll have to rely on my tdoc (as well as family and friends) to let me know when I'm manic (if I can't recognize this myself).

By the way, I called my tdoc to ask him whether or not it is common for others to recognize manic symptoms before the person with bipolar does. He said it happens quite frequently and told me not to worry about being unable to recognize my mania since I've given my family and friends a list of symptoms to let them know when I'm having a manic episode.

dreams in neon

Old 10-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
(female)

cocos421 HB User

That's great that you have a list of manic symptoms for your family and friends. I read your reply from the post about "what do you do when you're up" and your reply would be just what I'd say. I drink caffeine and like to party, too when I'm manic! And I clean obsessively. Usually it's fun, but I'll get irritable and snap at people quickly, especially if they're not moving fast enough.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
(female)

ldr21 HB User

I clean obsessively as well, an I get super agitated and frusterated. I also shop and am really impulsive and I always have these great ideas that I never follow through with. I am 29 and am just recently diagnosed but have been on and off of meds for years (misdiagnoses mainly) and have just recently been able to recognize when I am up or up up as I call it. I am not sure why I just started noticing it because I have been like this for years.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, it's amazing how much you and I have in common! I usually get irritable after my depression sets in. My manic symptoms begin with extreme happiness, followed by depression and then irritability. Like you, I like to clean when I'm manic. I also like to party and feel like I'm 16 again. LOL! All of my friends say they enjoy me most when I'm manic because I start cracking jokes and talk up a storm (rapid speech). I love being manic, but until a few days ago, I haven't had any mania for the past 2 months or so. I don't know about you, but when I don't have mania, I really, really miss it...

Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Yes we all really really miss the mania.Mania is the most dangerous time. it is when we are dangerous to ourselves and others more so than depression. The initial days of a depression following a full blown mania are probably the worst actually.

We think we're the life and soul of a party; our jokes are great; our ideas the best and completely logical. We search for ways to maintain the high; illicit sex; drugs, drink, parties, new acquaintances in a pub we've never been in. We don't come home straight from work. We then wake up somewhere we shouldn't be; or worse injured, or having injured (emotionally or physically) someone close to us.

So yes we miss it, cause we remember how it felt. But is wasn't real; our body wasn't operating correctly....

We scare people - well i do - we can't really want to do that....xxxx

Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgr01,

That's exactly what my tdoc told me when I asked him why it was so important for me to let him and my pdoc know when I'm manic.

Fortunately, my mania has never spun out of control (although the last manic episode I had came pretty close).

When I think about how spontaneous I am when I'm manic, it makes me wonder if I look like I'm drunk or high on something. None of my friends perceive me that way, but since I can't judge my own behavior during these times (or simply choose not to), it's something I'm still curious about just the same.

Closed Thread