It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

beach4me HB User
bi polar depression - Seroquel

I have been diagnosised with Bi-polar Depression. Been depressed forever...literally and if I have ever had mania...it must have been one of my rare "normal" days.

I have taken Wellbutrin, Lamictal and Provigal. While it is a great improvement, I still have that hollow, who cares, no feelings. My Dr. says that the depression has not been completely relieved. He has suggested Seroquel for a short amount of time to relieve those symptoms.

Anyone tried this? What were your experiences? Anyone relate to what I am saying?

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

littlelinnies HB User
Re: bi polar depression - Seroquel

My partner was on Seroquel for a time... he was always sleeping on it lol hes got Bi-polar but hes is quick clycing and hes more "Manic" then down. hope it helps for you x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I've been on Seroquel for a year. I have Bipolar Suicidal Depression, and like you when I do have a hypomanic cycle it's very mild. Seroquel can make you very sleepy, so it's best to take it at night. I know that there are some folks on this board that say 25 or 50 mg knock them out. I was on 450 mg and it barely made me sleepy at night, but I am also a chronic insomniac. I also used Lamictal at the same time and the combination did help alot. I have recently went off the Seroquel due to weight gain, and am now on Lamictal, Zoloft, Topomax, and Remeron.

So yes it can help with the depression....but with the severity of our depression you may have to take a high dose which can cause the sleep problems, and it does cause weight gain, so you'll have to watch for that.

Mine was wierd I'd been taking it for 8 months and then all of a sudden I just started gaining weight from it, once I hit 10 lbs. I told my pdoc, that's it no more seroquel, and we stopped it.

Good luck with your meds, and sorry for the book I wrote.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I've never had it, but people in my group use it. As little says, they use it only to bring them down out of manic phases and for sleep.
I believe it's also an anti-depressant, so maybe what you doctor thinks you'd respond to.

Only way to know is to try it, I guess. I hope it works, or that something else does.

I have only found one medication that works for my almost constant, lifelong depression.
A different world for me.

Seaturtle

Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
(female)

babymudge HB User
Smile Re: bi polar depression - Seroquel

I'm Bi-polar and have been on Seroquil for about 4 yrs now, ya there was weight gain but i'll trade a little weight for some "normalcy" in my life. I'm on high dose too, 500 mg at night, along with lithium and cymbalta finally got my life back. It helps if you can identify your mania cycles. I went through alot of drugs and combos befor this one you just have to stick to it and not give up.Being able to talk to your pdoc is VERY important also.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

When they initially diagnosed me I was on Seroquel for quite a while at a dose of 200mg at night along with lithium and lamictal.... after a bit we cut me back to 100mg and I was fine for a while, but when the depression came back it was "full on" and we have struggled to get it under control. I think seroquel is great except for the weight gain, despite that it no longer works for me.

My little blessing has been cymbalta as it has been the best thing so far along with ECT.

Good luck... sometimes finding the right combination take a bit of time.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

Momb411 HB User

I'm about over the whole Seroquel thing. It works for the depression and all but it snows me so bad that it takes 2 hours to snap out of the haze in the morning, after a 10 hour sleep.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

tigger does the Cymbalta help with the depression? does it cause any weight gain? Does it help you sleep at night? Sorry for the questions, but me and my pdoc are on the hunt for a new depression med right now, and i'm in the "try on every 2 weeks" stage and none of them are working.

kat

Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
(male)

madness86 HB User

Depakote.

Sure, it says that it helps with the mania side of things but I've been taking it for two weeks and noticed a significant change on the downside of things. No side effects except for sleepiness sometimes but I get over it fast.

I highly recommend it.

Closed Thread