It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

Daisy1126 HB User
Bi Polar and Diet

Hi all,
This is my first post. Dx Bi-Polar about a month ago and Rx Trileptal 450mg/day. I am on the manic end of the disease and don't really hit the low lows that some do. So far, the meds have stabalized me although I do miss having a personality and a little bit more energy to get things done. It still is a good trade-off to hopefully never have another scary manic/mixed episode again!

My question is this: Has anyone experimented with particular diets for relief of some symptoms of bi-polar? 10 yrs ago or so, before I knew I was bipolar, I went on a diet very similair to a diabetic diet (balancing carbs/protiens/fats)and I never felt better. Thinking back on it, I had a long period of even mood during that time.

I plan to take control of this disease and not let it control me and I suspect that the proper diet can help greatly. I'd love to hear some feedback on this.

Regards~
Daisy

Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
(female)

tigger5150 HB User
Re: Bi Polar and Diet

Hi Daisy - As

one with bipolar I can't say that I've heard or read anything specifically related to diet and the disorder. Sometimes I think specific diets help in other ways that then may feed into the bipolar as a few years back I got onto the "eat right for your blood type" diet and I felt fantastic (at least for me) but I still had some of the ole bipolar symptoms.

It's good to hear though that you are going to take control. I'd be curious to hear how things work out for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

According to what I've read, there are 3 things that can help bipolar:

1. inositol (The benefits of inositol include fewer mood swings and relief from depression.)

2. folic acid (The benefits of folic acid include relief from depression and mania.)

3. Omega 3 fatty acids/fish oil (The benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids/fish oil include protection against bipolar relapse and relief from depression.)

"Food and Mood" is an excellent read and a book I highly recommend.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

klyn07 HB User

I read this book: Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability by Julie Fast and she has a whole chapter devoted to how crucial diet is to treating the disorder. She recommends a diet very much like a diabetic diet because the constant surge and crash of bllod sugars wreak havoc on our moods.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

It's not a substitute for meds, but I tend to feel better on a high omega-3 diet--I eat no meat, lots of fish, and try for mostly whole-grain/whole produce carbs (although that one I only sort of stick to.)

Closed Thread