It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
(male)

UKguy HB User
what do you do when you're 'up'?

i know its hard n stuff having bi polar and other mood affecting illnesses. im interested in what people do when they are really up? it sounds strange but when im really hyped up i fancy myself as abit of a stand up comedian. i also love to polish cars.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: what do you do when your 'up'?

When I'm feeling really euphoric, I like to clean the house from top to bottom, cook a full course meal, do home improvement projects, tackle 10 different tasks all at once, exercise on my treadmill, eat my favorite "junk" foods/drink caffeine and party (i.e. be the life of the party). Although it's alot of fun while it lasts, it isn't very long before everything starts to spiral downhill and I become agitated and depressed. My meds do a pretty good job of keeping me stable, so I only experience mild to moderate manic symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Clean obsessively (I'll completely clean one room absolutely perfectly, even if the rest of the house stays a mess), think of brilliant new ideas for my dissertation, put tons of effort into them, and afterwards realize they make no sense. For some reason I start diagraming--dissertation chapters, plans for talks, etc. A normal strategy, but something I only do when I'm hypomanic. Get really irritable and inpatient. Also, I am always very aware that I'm hypomanic, and I don't like it, so it tends to make me frustrated.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I take very long, fast walks, have to get everything done yesterday, clean, do any physical work I can find. I can't sit down, my thoughts are racing, one idea after another. I get extremely irritable and angry. I hate the agitation and irritability - I wish I could just sit down and read.
I also plan all kinds of projects, volunteer for lots of organizations, make plans with people...then have to back out of them. I talk very fast, feel that my mind is ultra-clear, remember everything, and go nutz if I can't accomplish everything on my list.
This can be something as small as "I have get some Post-Its NOW." Not tomorrow, not in an hour, NOW.

I either love or hate everything. I have no patience. I do everthing very fast. And I, too, will have ten things running at the same time, notes for a book, plans to make art, be a musician, take classes in four languages, become a veterinarian assistant, a famous writer...you get the idea.

It's very uncomfortable. And I forget it's hypomania often, I just feel sooo good.
I have learned, though, to tell myself not to make a lot of committments when I'm like that, because I never can keep them all.

Then there is the crash. And we all know how that is.

Seaturtle

Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
(female)

soucie HB User

I tidy up and get all faux-organized (I think I'm actually organizing things, but in reality things somehow aren't more organized in the end). I clean a bit too, but most of my attention is on tidying things up and decorating. Rearranging stuff. I also sign up for all kinds of classes, activities, events - I will book my calendar nearly solid.

I'll stay up until 2:00 am (on a night when I have to wake up at 6:00) writing a speech that I have no reason to ever give, journaling, writing articles that I won't get published, doing crossword puzzles, crocheting beanies for babies, skimming through books (I never actually read them page by page, I just kind of look through them real fast). My big thing has been organizing my iTunes library. I can spend ALL NIGHT on that.

I also like to go "window shopping" which turns into a $500 unexpected and unneeded spree. I won't call friends or acquaintances, but I'll go into a store or an event or a class and be the most entertaining, witty, funniest person they've encountered all year. I cannot tell you how many times I've actually asked someone in a store, "So... Am I best customer you've ever had?" (or most fun, most entertaining, etc.). So I can totally related to the stand up comedienne comment. When I am UP, it is like I am on STAGE. And I sure can put on a good show when I want to.

The stand up comedienne thing is so funny because it is totally not a normal social interaction. Like in that phase, I'll talk non-stop because I'm spinning jokes and wit right and left - I keep people rolling the entire time we're talking. But I rarely if ever ask them anything about themselves. I don't give my audience a chance to engage and frankly; I could care less. Isn't that awful??? LOL

Well, at least I am aware of it.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
(male)

UKguy HB User
Re: what do you do when you're 'up'?

"The stand up comedienne thing is so funny because it is totally not a normal social interaction. Like in that phase, I'll talk non-stop because I'm spinning jokes and wit right and left - I keep people rolling the entire time we're talking. But I rarely if ever ask them anything about themselves. I don't give my audience a chance to engage and frankly; I could care less. Isn't that awful??? LOL"

totally agree! i guess thats why most of my friends dont get how i can be so down and have such massive swings of mood. they only ever get to see one side of me. beware the funny person.... lol

Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
(female)

Momb411 HB User
Re: what do you do when you're 'up'?

I talk fast normally, but I babbly non stop and slur my words so you can't really understand what I'm saying. I tend to crack jokes as part of my regular personality - but I usually stay with in my set group of friends. When I'm manic I'm more apt to venture out and befriend anybody.

Closed Thread