It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Memory loss

Has anyone else had some memory loss b/c of medication? I take Lamictal, Xanax (not much), Wellbutrin, and I have noticed my memory is not as sharp as it should be.
I know that depressions themselves can leave us with memory loss, but wonder how much of mine is the meds. I can try to think of something or remember something that I read, say, 10 minutes ago and come up clueless.
Also wanted to say that much of my anxiety lately is because of the economy, just like everyone else. How about others?

Hoping no one is twisting themselves into a pretzel because of the holiday stress,

Seaturtle

Old 12-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
(female)

avour HB User
Re: Memory loss

Pronounced memory loss here! Glad you brought this up. I am taking Lamicatal also, have mentioned the memory loss to doc several times, he says it is not memory loss, says I am "not paying attention" referring to rushing thoughts, which I had not thought about being a dynamic before. I will ask him again Friday....if I remember. *silly grin*

Seriously tho it's frustrating isnt it? I keep running into my x's x with whom I have a warm friendship if not kinship because of the "Greg Wars". Still, when we talk I am so embarrassed by memory blips, true blackouts, especially when she finishes my sentences. She knows my suicidal history, in patient history, and although she is the one person who truely understands the problem x, our conversations leave me feeling truely as though she must be walking away thinking to herself "she really is a nut". I assume the extra mental stress tips me over esp. since there are x issues that we still snicker about, and that I feel I would like to cross check with her, sort of a sanity check if you will...*sigh* She really is wonderful!

I forget words, not that I need them when I've hit a high *ha*, do you? Also, forgetting immediate things like "I JUST put that down, where is it?" which is unusually infuriating since mania has not been swept up yet with this med adjustment and so I have these weird flash irritability peaks that make me grit my teeth and/or fight the immediate urge to throw whatever is at my disposal. And it all happens when I am in such a good mood....*enjoys being here and communicating all this even tho the insanity of it all dawns on me as I write*

I keep trying to sort out wheither this is a short term or long term deal. You? It is so much of a problem that I am turning my meds over to hubby. I phoned my pdoc 2 days in a row last week, still couldnt remember what he wanted me to do with the Geodon and other...am riding that out until Friday since I was just too embarrassed to phone him again!

Also have a dickens of a time with my lists of which there are many since Christmas is upon us. I lay them down and cant find them. Short of nailing them to the wall...( ) I put them in my purse and then because I cant find it quick enought. *sigh*

So glad you are here Sea. I need you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

I have had memory loss for years.. I think it is the Bipolar 1, I have.......

hugs, Caren

Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello, Avour,

Just wanted to say Hello tonight. I'm not feeling up to par, but will write you later. I am so glad you're here, too.

Just a note: the memory loss can be funny sometimes. I have had to take some Vicoprufen for last couple of days for migraine, and woke this morning to find the peanut butter in the fridge and a container of ice cream on the top shelf of the fridge. Well, it wasn't exactly still on the first shelf, but the carton was.

Catch you later,

Seaturtle

Old 12-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Seaturtle,

I can definitely relate to this!

Ever since I started taking antidepressants in the early 90s for depression until now for bipolar and schizoaffective, I have a great deal of difficulty with short term memory.

I'm constantly writing things down and making lists. Sometimes it's not uncommon for me to stop mid-sententence because I forgot what it was that I wanted to say or to ask someone to repeat themselves because I forgot what they told me the first time even though I had no difficulty hearing them.

In my case, I think half of this is due to the meds while the other half is due to the bipolar and schizoaffective.

The only good solution I've found to deal with this problem is to keep a day planner (i.e. electronic notetaker) with me at all times.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Well, of course we all know that I'm nuts...so i thought it was that! *LOL* Seriously though I take Topomax which of course causes Neurological deficit, primarily forgetting words, you know what you want to say, but can't remember the word, I've also taken Seroquel for a while, almost a year, and my pdoc doesn't like to use that long term because it also causes neurological problems, such as memory loss. I also take Lamictal. But aside from that for the Chronic Pain I'm on high doses of Oxycontin and Percoset daily, and before that it was Fentanyl and Vicoden daily and that's been for the last 10 years, so I'm sure those screw with my memory....so like I said...I'm just nuts!

Mine seems to be relegated to short term only though and random not all the time. With my job as a Financial Administrator and Stock Anaylist Educator for Seniors I have to remain sharp and so far it's not caused a major problem.

Kat

Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Interesting you should mention Topamax because I started that med recently as a migraine preventative.

As you know, I'm also on Lamictal as well as a high dose of Risperdal, so perhaps the combination of all 3 meds (in addition to bipolar and schizoaffective) has something to do with my short term memory loss.

Whatever the case, I hate it. Oh well. I guess that's the price you pay for a reasonable amount of stability, right?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dream,

Don't think this as a wierd question, but are you skinny? Do you eat well? Because the Topomax will kill your appetite and make you drop weight fast. When I started I lost 46 lbs in 6 weeks...I can go for days and literally not remember to eat...so you have to be careful with that one.

Kat

Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Whoosh, Kat, that's a bunch of meds. When I tried Topomax, I was an idiot with no mind at all left. I am surprised you can do the job you do. It bespeaks a super-intelligent mind that you can. Topomax and the pain-killers, yikes, I couldn't function well on any one of them. I'm having a rough time physically lately, and have had to take some Vicoprufen, and have done some really funny things.
Speaking of which, I have to go take another one and go back to bed, so my posts will be short, but I am thinking of you always,

Seaturtle

Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kat,

Yes, I am skinny. I weigh 117 pounds and am 5'2". My doctor says that's exactly where I need to be, but for some reason, I think that weight is a little *too* skinny.

I don't eat alot. I don't feel like eating when I'm manic, when I'm depressed or when I feel "normal." My doctor said to always keep protein drinks in the fridge and to eat at least a bowl of cereal a day to maintain some weight, so that's what I try to do. I recently started buying some Carnation Instant Breakfast which I had while IP and LOVE, so that's what I drink now.

Thanks for the heads up about Topamax. I'm on a very low dose to start off with (as people starting on the med usually start off small and gradually titrate to a therapeutic dose), but will most likely (according to my doctor) increase to a moderate or strong dose depending on how well it helps reduce my migraines. I'm only on week 2 on the med, so I still have another 2 more weeks or so to go before deciding whether or not to titrate.

Speaking of appetite, another patient I got to know well in the hospital commented that I don't eat much to begin with, so if Topamax really does negatively affect my appetite, I might just switch to another preventative like Verapamil instead.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Seaturtle,

I noticed yesterday that you said you had a migraine. Are you feeling any better today? I've been a migraine sufferer for the past 21 years, so I know exactly what you are going through.

To make this BP related, I'm going to talk to my first pdoc about my short term memory loss issues and see if there isn't something else I can do to counteract the problem. It just doesn't seem right that those of us on pain meds, mood stabilizers, antipsychotics, etc. have to put up with this without being able to do *something* about it.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hey, neondreams,

Finally the migraine left today after 3 days. Ugh, ugh, I hate them so much. Lamictal has stopped most of them, but every so often they visit again. I get so depressed when I have one, though the day before, I am flying high - and yawning like crazy.

In the bp group I'm in, almost everyone has migraines, so I wonder if there is a connection. I know there's one with depression because of the migraine/serotonin link, so I wouldn't be surprised if we are blessed with yet another symptom. On the other hand, others I know don't have them (but 2 have cluster headaches, come to think of it).

I gather from an other post of yours I just read that you're doing well. Keep that going, girl! I am okay, and if I could stop bouncing up and down...but we know about that one.

Meanwhile, the weather changes here have also put me into a fibro flare. But my mood is really okay.

You take good care. I always look for your posts.

Seaturtle

Old 12-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

HI again, neondreams,

Would you let me know if you hit on any answers? Some people I know take Provigil for that and for lethargy from the meds, but I can't go near it. because of other physical issues.

I hope you find something to help.

Later,

Seaturtle

Old 12-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seaturtle,

I'm so glad your migraine is finally over. I know mine can last up to a week if I don't take my migraine meds.

When I was on Depakote I noticed a sharp reduction in my migraines, but after I switched to Lamictal, they started back up again, so my doctor thought it would be a good idea to put me on a migraine preventative. I used to be on one years ago, but stopped taking it for reasons I no longer remember.

Did you know that there *is* a link between BP and migraines? Research has shown that migraines are more common among people who have BP.

As for my moods, I am doing very well as of late. I'm finally stabilized and am no longer rapid cycling. I also received a bit of good news. One of my sisters is planning to move down to Mesa eventually. I've always wanted to move to Arizona myself (due to the harsh winters we have here and my rapid cycling this time of year), so it makes me feel better knowing that I'll have family down there once I do. I plan to relocate sometime next year.

I'm sorry to hear about your fibro flareup. One of my very best friends has fibro (as well as RA) and I see how much pain she is in on a daily basis. I hope the weather in your area settles down a little so that you can start to feel a little better.

The weather here hasn't been great either. It's currently 20 below zero here with temperatures in the single digits. We had several snowstorms pass through the area, but are now dealing with the cold fronts that typically follow.

Believe me, I'm literally counting down the days until my move to Arizona next year (most likely during the summer) and that is also helping my moods because I have something to look forward to.

The only thing left for me to do is to learn more about the psychiatric services available in the areas I want to live in. I'm hoping I can find a good tdoc and pdoc down there and that they have good psychiatric hospitals when I need to go IP.

You mentioned your BP support group. I will be joining one very soon since the hospital gave me the contact information for several in my area. It will be nice to meet others with BP and to reach out to others to help give them encouragement when needed.

By the way, I will let you know if I learn about anything I can do about short term memory loss from my pdoc. Hopefully he'll have some ideas as to how I can handle that situation.

Take care!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 12-21-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Seaturtle,

Hey friend how are you doing? Have your migraines gone away for now? My memory problems came into play today and made me feel like an idiot. I was at my Pdocs office and could not remember what the simplest words meant. I mean "adherence" who can't remember what "adherence" means???? I felt like an idiot, and he was major concerned about my "cognitive thinking" so needless to say it was not a great appt. At least we didn't add any new meds right at this time of year, just added the Seroquel back to balance out the Cymbalta so the up and down cycling will stop. Right now I'm pretty balanced out, unfortunately it's on a blah/depressed scale, but I'm steady not jumping up and down from hypomanic to depressed... So now we'll see how Christmas goes, that's the next big hurdle I guess.

Closed Thread