It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Today's Pdoc Appointment

Hi everyone,

After experiencing a manic episode last night with severe racing thoughts, I went to the ER. The doctor paged my pdoc who asked that I see him today. During our appointment he answered some of the questions I had as to why I cycled in the first place. He said this isn't uncommon if someone has been depressed or experienced an event which has upset or excited them emotionally. Since I had been severely depressed for the past 2 days, he said the only direction my mood could go was up. Hence, my rapid cycling. He told me not to be *too* concerned since rapid cycling will always be problematic for me. He also said I shouldn't be discouraged by last night's episode given how well I've been doing on my current med combo. He's proud of how stable I've been and told me not to be too hard on myself for what happened last night. My pdoc also said that typing as much as I did is what was probably responsible for preventing my voices from resurfacing (as well as the Geodon). He would like to see me again in 2 weeks just to make sure I'm not cycling again or experiencing any severe depression. I was prescribed a higher PRN dosage (1500mg) of Depakote. Since I'm on Depakote Sprinkles, he prescribed an extra 1000mg of standard Depakote to be taken and an extra 20mg for my Geodon for whenever I start to feel my moods escalate in the hopes that we can prevent full blown mania like I had last night. The reason why I'm taking a partial dosage of Depakote Sprinkles and regular Depakote is due to the fact that I have trouble swallowing and the latter doesn't come in powdered form. I told him this shouldn't be a problem as long as I'm only limited to taking the regular pills whenever I felt that I was becoming manic. My pdoc is aware of the situation I had with the on call pdoc recommending that I immediately stop my anti-depressant for fear of it causing mania. I was told that whenever I call the clinic, I should inform them that I am only to speak to my pdoc and no one else. My pdoc apologized for the on call pdoc's behavior and told me he was glad I didn't stop taking my anti-depressant because this could have resulted in a much more severe case of depression.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Re: Today's Pdoc Appointment

I am sorry you had to go through this, but good that you saw your p-doc and he helped you......

hugs Caren

Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

Dreams -
Glad you were able to get to see your pdoc and that he worked some things out for you!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, Caren and Tigger! I'm pleased to report that today was a very good day for me! No rapid cycling or racing thoughts!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Kudos for you for jumping on it and getting help, and kudos on your pdoc, too. This guy sounds so attentive, understanding and responsive. And how positive, too, giving you that perspective. And it is truly wonderful how much better you've been recently on the new meds.

You said typing so much was probably the reason - do you think that's an over-stimulation of sorts? May I ask what triggers you as a rule? I am trying to figure that one out for myself, though I know some things already.

I hope this finds you feeling well again, and I am proud of you, too. You continue to be such an inspiration.

Seaturtle

Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seaturtle,

It seems that almost anything triggers me into mania, depression, psychosis or paranoia. My pdoc said that isn't uncommon for people who have schizophrenic type illnesses. Dramatic mood changes can set a person off into a psychotic state just as it can set off a person with bipolar into a manic or depressive state.

I actually found typing to be beneficial because I was able to get my mind off of my racing thoughts by thinking about what I wanted to post here. By writing down my thoughts in the spur of the moment I was able to prevent my racing thoughts from getting the best of me and my voices from completely controlling me. Of course, the Geodon could be responsible for the fact that I never heard voices last night, but I actually think it's a combination of these two factors.

My pdoc is absolutely wonderful! He obviously cares about my well-being and is evidently keeping his promise to do everything he can to help me maintain stability. I think he understands what a challenge it is to have rapid cycling bipolar (since he also specializes in atypical bipolar as well) which is why he he tries so hard to help me feel the best I possibly can. I've definitely found a gem in this pdoc and am *so* glad because it has certainly been a long time coming!

How are you feeling today, Seaturtle? I hope you're feeling a little better. Today the weather was rainy and cold, but at least it's allowing the snow to melt. Just think: only 8 more weeks of winter or so before spring is finally here!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

dreams in neon

hello. so glad you got better help from your own pdoc rather than the on call one! a good pdoc is worh his/her weight in gold! mine is the best i have found in twenty five years and is usually very kind. i apologised if i annoyed him with my email about my absolute abhorrance of ect and he said he was just under pressure from other things! still only at the early stages of new meds. lamictal, just added lexapro (even though this didn't work for me before, he thinks it will boost the abilify when i start it on saturday. after trying so many different combos i really hope this one helps as i am so tired of this deep depression. i had felt so well, a little manic, before the onset of this over a year ago. he continues to have faith in me but i haven't any left.

very glad to hear that writing helped you so much and fair play to you for going to the er for help. here they dismiss 'mental' patients immediately as soon as they hear the meds list! was treated like a criminal after going there following an od. would not go there again. was definitely treated differently even when in was in general part of hospital for gall bladder removal in september and they completely ignored the safety measures i had in place to reduce my anxiety about the surgery. strangely am phobic about wounds and scars and surgery, kept two of the gall bladder scars covered until about a month ago and still cant bear to look at them! yet i get great comfort from the scars of cutting! no logic there at all! pdoc is amazed by it! this bp mind is a very strange thing and i don't know this person i have become.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter,

I know what you mean about being treated differently. I had an ER doctor last year ask me why I was taking Depakote and Risperdal (at the time), so I told him "bipolar." He didn't say anything, but I know what he was thinking. "Yeah, right. Bipolar. Everyone has bipolar."

The next time I am admitted to the hospital for surgery or another medical procedure, I plan to explain how imperative it is that I be given my bipolar meds. I'm going to mention my psychosis and paranoia even if it makes me look like a freak. I don't care and the last thing I want is to have a manic episode because I wasn't given my meds.

Sometimes you gotta love the medical community. NOT.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
(female)

tiny feet HB User

please, what does pdoc stand for and ER? I am not familiar with new terms you speak. thanks.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry about that! Pdoc stands for psychiatrist and ER means emergency room.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

hi tiny feet. welcome. what part of the world are you in?

great support here. don't hesitate to avail of it.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
(female)

tiny feet HB User

Thanks dreams in neon, hope your fixed now.
@ Irish writer, i'm in UK. and a little bit closer to reality with the help of you guys on here.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny feet View Post
Thanks dreams in neon, hope your fixed now.
@ Irish writer, i'm in UK. and a little bit closer to reality with the help of you guys on here.
that's great to hear tiny feet.

dreams in neon

how you doing now?

Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter,

I'm afraid that I'm not doing too well. I still feel severely depressed and even suicidal, so I've decided to go IP this morning. I was going to go last night, but ended up falling asleep after I laid in bed and started crying. I plan to bring my BrailleNote (a PDA for the blind) so that I can continue to update all of you as to how I am doing as well as to keep track of how you are doing as well.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

neondreams,

Glad you're taking care of yourself once more. Good for you. I'll feel better knowing you are safe and getting help in there.

Sorry to be short - I am not feeling well yesterday or today, but sending hugs,
Seaturtle

Closed Thread