It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #31
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: I don't know how to handle this anymore... help.

Bunnylover,

DBT is "Dialectical Behaviour Therapy" it is a 4 module group therapy class that is basically designed to "retrain" your mind to learn new coping skills, that you learned when you were young. For people like me who are Severe Suicidal Depressants and Severe SI/SH'ers it is used also to integrate Distress Regulation. It's a 3 - 4 month class that you have to repeat over 2 - 3 times depending on how long it takes to "retrain' your brain into using new coping skills besides self injuring or suicide.

Different people use it for different reasons, some voluntarily, some one on one with their tdocs. Some like me who are now being "forced" to take the DBT group therapy.

Hope that explained it enough.

kat

Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #32
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

I'm at the office right now, but when I get home later I'll send you the title of the workbook that my tdoc and I were using.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

That would be great. Thanks, Kat!
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #34
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

Okay the name is long, but my Tdoc researched this for a week, to make sure that we got a good book with trusted well known docs who had studied DBT and knew what they were talking about. I got the workbook for 22.00, you can pick it up at any bookstore.

The Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Skills Workbook
Practical DBT Excercises for Learning mindulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, and Distress Tolerance.

Written by: Matthew McKay, Ph.D; Heffrey C. Wood, PSY.D.; Jeffrey Brantley, M.D.

I won't beat around the bush, the work is hard and chanllenging, it makes you think and go back to things you might not particularly want to, but they say if you can do it and stick with it, it'll work. I would start with the "Distress Tolerance" that's what my tdoc had me start with, and she had the workbook and would tell me what pages she wanted me to do, then at the next Session we would talk about my answers, what I thought, got out of it, etc.

I wished it would have continued to work for me so i could've stayed on the one on one track...but with the having to get stitches for the SI last week and being that close to suicide...they say it's time to do the group thing, or go IP for a while, which I DO NOT WANT TO DO, so I'll do the DBT Group. I guess one of my main fears is that somehow I'll screw that up too, and it won't work and it will just be another failure to add to the list. Oh well, we'll see.

I hope this book works for you, too bad we can't give out addresses, I'd send you mine and save you the 22 bucks. *l*

Hope you are continuing to do well my friend.

kat

Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

I could send you my address via PM. Otherwise I'd be happy to ask my tdoc if he has a copy. Someone on another bipolar forum shared some DBT techniques as they relate to Mindfulness and I was really intrigued. I'm beginning to wonder if this could help me control my rapid cycling to some extent. The licensed professional counselor I've known for a long time doesn't think it will since rapid cycling is a biological response, but I'm going to give it a go and see if it works. Even if it works a little, that's better than nothing.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #36
Inactive
(female)

I don't think this DBT is going to be as much for the rapid cycling as much as it will be for the SH/SI. I'm sure it will help some with the cycling, but i'm not sure how much. It's interesting that your Pdoc doesn't advocate it, my Pdoc has been on me to get into a DBT group almost from the beginning of my seeing him, I think by the second month. But with my "severe suicidal Depression" and the Severeness of my SH/SI tags, that's probably why they've wanted me in it so bad. My Pdoc is very glad that my Tdoc has now made it a "do it or don't see me kind of thing" because I think he knew I'd fold. He knows that I have a great relationship with my tdoc and for that matter hisself also, and he knew I wouldn't damage that. Oh well at least I have 2 really great docs that care about me and my well being. Some of the horror stories I read on here about people and their awful docs, geez. Well you for instance look at the nightmare pdoc you had for that long time.

So I'll try to quit whining and fighting it and get used to the idea, my group doesn't start for 6 - 7 weeks, so we have some time to work on me getting used to it and work on my confidence levels about going.

Wally, my new kitty, keeps walking on the keyboard, so I'm having to do alot of deleting and retyping!

Kat

Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Let me put it this way: My last pdoc was a ****. No, make that a **** and a half. He didn't do anything for me during the entire year and a half that I saw him. Every time I told him I was rapid cycling or manic, he just told me to come back to his office in 3 months. Would you believe that he NEVER explained to me what mania or hypomania was??? I didn't even know people with BPI could be hypomanic until my current pdoc told me that I was experiencing a hypomanic episode when I saw him in January. It took me 3 years to find that out. Ridiculous! I think my old pdoc's license should be revoked for negligence. My current pdoc told me that the reason I've been so unstable over the past year and a half is strictly because of my old pdoc and his failure to treat me. Not once did my old pdoc even mention the fact that I was a rapid cycler despite how much I told him I cycled in one day. My tdoc had to tell me I was a rapid cycler. Can you believe that??? I'm so lucky though because I now have a pdoc who specializes in what I have -- atypical bipolar. He takes a special interest in it which I like. I also like the fact that he correctly diagnosed me after 19 years. He's a smart cookie and he knows his stuff. He's also honest, straightforward and always explains the reasons behind his recommendations. Interestingly enough, I've found that pdocs who specialize in addiction generally tend to be more patient and knowledgeable than those who do not. That past 2 pdocs I saw (the first new pdoc and my current pdoc) specialized in addiction and both believed in approaching the treatment of bipolar in an aggressive manner which is more than I can say for my old pdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #38
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

I think that's where we have a lot in common with our docs, because as you were describing yours, it sounded like you were talking about mine. He also has specialties in addiction as well as gay/lesbian gender issues. So I think his compassion towards we BP'ers who are stuck with these "labels" and the cycling for life comes from the fact that he "know" how cruel and awful the world can be towards certain demographic groups such as drug addicts or sexual gender racial profiling. That's one of the things that I like about my pdoc, he's not just a "stuff shirt" that sits behind a desk and treats me like a "case file". He treats me like a person, who has severe mental disabilities and who has to learn to live with these for the rest of my life. I remember when some of the past "stuff" was first coming out between he and I regarding childhood abuse, etc. he put down his pen and file, looked me straight in the eye and said, "I am so so sorry for what you had to endure." I've been through many pdocs, and none of them ever expressed to me any kind of remorse or whatever you want to call it towards me, I was blown away. I won't trade this pdoc for anyting in the world, and even though I'm still not 100% happy wit my tdoc, wouldn't trade her either, my pdoc reccomended her and they have pretty much the same philosophies on patient care and treatment.

kat

Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

That's great. I'm so glad you have a pdoc and tdoc that you feel comfortable with. I can't say enough good things about mine. I almost teared up when my pdoc promised me that he would do everything he could to stablize my rapid cycling because for the first time in I don't know how long someone actually listened to me, saw the pain I was in and reassured me that everything would be okay. My old pdoc had NO idea what kind of h*ll I was going through alternating between mania and depression on an hourly (and sometimes minute by minute) basis. I truly hated him for that because he was ignoring my needs, knew that this is what he was doing and didn't care. My pdoc is worlds apart from him. He really takes the time to listen, told me how difficult it must be to live with the "severe" case of bipolar that I have and even acknowledged how frightening my rapid cycling, auditory hallucinations, delusions and parania must be. No one has ever said that to me except for my tdoc and 2 pdocs I had in the past.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #40
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

Have you considered filing a complaint against your old pdoc with the "American Board of Psychicatry and Neurology" for the neglect that he caused you? It might mark his record so someone else might be warned...

See I'm one of those wierd people, actually I think the OTC has something to do with it, that and being a formal Paralegal. I don't go and see a doc until I've researched them, seen their CV, researched their papers, see if they've had complaints filed against them, look at their website that gives their care philosophy, etc. I want to know who's treating me and if they're good at what they do before I ever walk in their office.

kat

Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #41
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

Let me clarify on that last post, I am not a fan of frivilous lawsuits or really any lawsuits of any kind unless absolutely necesary, and unavoidable. But reporting bad docs to their Licensing Boards is a whole nother ballgame....and it could save someone else from suffering like you've done needlessly.

kat

Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

How do I go about doing that? I really think I should because there was no excuse for his negligence. I could have gone into a serious manic/psychotic episode and ended up with dire consequences as a result.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

You can ignore my question because I didn't see your second post until now. The problem is that not many pdocs in my area have websites or information available on the Internet. My current pdoc does though which is how I found him. My old pdoc did not. I went to him only because he was in the same office as my tdoc. I think I'm also going to file a complaint against the first pdoc I saw who was recommended for me after I was IP in 2006. She never read my IP paperwork and told me after 3 months that it was my choice to remain on meds or not even though she knew I was bipolar. I think both of them were severely negligent and ought to pay the consequence. All I can say is thank goodness I found a competent pdoc who actually listens to me and wants to help me get better. If by chance I can no longer see him, I have the name of another pdoc (the first pdoc I saw when I was looking for a new one) and he's just as knowledgeable. The only reason I didn't continue seeing him was because my current pdoc is located closer to my home.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-20-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Closed Thread