It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Thought I would feel better but feeling like a mess

Hi all! I was just prescribed Prozac(10mg) over the past couple of months and added to that is Lithium (300mg) and actually prior to that is Risperdal (0.5 mg) for sleep. I also take allergy shots. I stopped smoking over 40 days ago and I know that is a HUGE life change so with that in mind I try to keep everything in the day and not stress myself too much, at least not consciously. I really thought I would begin to feel better with the meds and all and actually I'm kind of feeling worse. I am so tired and I actually feel depressed. After the Lithium was prescribed I stopped taking the Risperdal because I felt I was on too much medication and was sleeping okay with the Lithium at bedtime. Does anyone think this is too much for my system right now as far as taking chemicals away from me too quickly? I feel like my moods are all over the place. I don't know--for years I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and in the past 10 years since the change of life they tell me I'm bipolar. All I want to do is cry lately. If anyone has had a similar situation, I would love to hear from you--I'm just feeling so down. Thanks so much--Hopeto

Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Thought I would feel better but feeling like a mess

How long have you been taking Prozac? Sometimes it can take 4-8 weeks before the side effects (including tiredness) disappear. I'm on 20mg of Fluoxetine (Prozac generic) and during the first week I took it, I was also tired, but this gradually improved by the following week. If you're concerned that your meds are causing too much exhaustion, I would notify your pdoc so that a change in dose or med can be made.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetofeelwell1 View Post
Hi all! I was just prescribed Prozac(10mg) over the past couple of months and added to that is Lithium (300mg) and actually prior to that is Risperdal (0.5 mg) for sleep. I also take allergy shots. I stopped smoking over 40 days ago and I know that is a HUGE life change so with that in mind I try to keep everything in the day and not stress myself too much, at least not consciously. I really thought I would begin to feel better with the meds and all and actually I'm kind of feeling worse. I am so tired and I actually feel depressed. After the Lithium was prescribed I stopped taking the Risperdal because I felt I was on too much medication and was sleeping okay with the Lithium at bedtime. Does anyone think this is too much for my system right now as far as taking chemicals away from me too quickly? I feel like my moods are all over the place. I don't know--for years I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and in the past 10 years since the change of life they tell me I'm bipolar. All I want to do is cry lately. If anyone has had a similar situation, I would love to hear from you--I'm just feeling so down. Thanks so much--Hopeto

sorry to hear you are so down. sometimes lithium takes a while to kick in and 300 is a pretty low dose. try to give it time. did you talk to pdoc about cutting out respiradal? i find xanax and klonopin great for anxiety/rapid cycling. antidepresant to nothing for me exept to make me v. agitated. i hope you feel better soon once the meds start working for you. good luck with them. sometimes it takes time to find the right combo.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Dreams and Irish! I have been taking Prozac since the week before Christmas and it had made me very agitated and gave me crazy thoughts (crazy for me, that is) so I told my pdoc. On top of this I couldn't sleep. She told me that mania kicked in and prescribed Lithium but never said to discontinue the Risperdal--that was my idea because I felt I was on too much medication (at least for my system, that is). I also had a sinus infection over the past two weeks that I feel I can't get rid of even after antibiotics. My system is very sensitive to meds and I have to be careful, given the fact that I'm a dual diagnosis also and very allergic on top of all this. All I want to do is cry because I really don't feel well and really don't know where to start right now to help myself feel better. My doctor and I are going to have a good talk next week--none of this 15 minutes and then out the door I go. If that's the case I'll go back to the place I used to go to for therapy & med management. I know--I'm a huge grouch and really don't want to rock the boat because this new place that I go to is full of really nice people. I have wanted a cigarette this past week too and I know a lot of this is because I'm so miserable. God has been good and kept me without money lately or I probably would get a pack but I really don't even crave is physically either. See? I'm mentally such a mess right now but thank God I have you folks to reason this stuff out with. Thanks so much for caring and will fill you in after I try to take a nap. God bless all--Hopeto--

Old 02-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:

btw i have found that any antid makes me very agitated, suicidal and wanting to si. i hope your pdoc is able to adjust your meds to get the right ones for you.

Last edited by irishwriter; 02-20-2009 at 01:59 AM.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

My pdoc was going to put me on Prozac while I weaned off Cymbalta, because it can be hard to get off of, and have bad w/d's, but then decided not to because of the risk of hypomanic episodes.

kat

Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Irish and Kat! Today I went without the Prozac and I have to admit I felt almost normal today without any odd thoughts which is what I find I have while on Prozac. I'm going to take it tomorrow and tell the doctor on Tuesday what my findings are because if I stop on my own I'm afraid how I will feel without it for any length of time. I know I'm not a doctor and have gotten into trouble by stopping meds on my own before. I just hate this, though--the habitual side effects I endure which stops me from taking any further meds for any length of time. I've never taken anything like lithium carbonate before and I guess it's more natural than most mood stabilizers so maybe I'll have better luck with it. I will let you folks know how I make out. Thanks so much for caring and God bless--Hopeto

Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hope,

I'm glad you're doing a little better today, I know that feeling of stopping the meds/not stopping the meds it's so frustrating.

I myself have cycled into a pretty stonrg hypomanic state, dropped several hundred bucks redecorating the bathrooms, of course I just moved in here 5 months ago, so ummmm...they probably didn't need it, took my own stitches out of my arms, 'cuz I figured who needs docs and my mother in law finally convinced me I was manic when i agreed to go to dinner with my husband, the same one who beat me up three weeks ago.....soooooo I left a msg with my pdoc and am going to try and lay low for the rest of the weekend, actually *lol* I think my mother in law took my car keys with her, so I'm pretty much grounded for now. I'm not much of a shopper, but I love doing it when I'm manic, I jsut run aroudn the store throwing thinggs inthe basket not looking at prices, it's a ablast!

I hope you continue to get this Prozac mess worked out, maybe bug the **** out of yoru pdoc on Monday and make him fix you!

kat

Old 02-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Smile Re: Thought I would feel better but feeling like a mess

Quote:
Hi Irish and Kat! Today I went without the Prozac and I have to admit I felt almost normal today without any odd thoughts which is what I find I have while on Prozac. I'm going to take it tomorrow and tell the doctor on Tuesday what my findings are because if I stop on my own I'm afraid how I will feel without it for any length of time. I know I'm not a doctor and have gotten into trouble by stopping meds on my own before. I just hate this, though--the habitual side effects I endure which stops me from taking any further meds for any length of time. I've never taken anything like lithium carbonate before and I guess it's more natural than most mood stabilizers so maybe I'll have better luck with it. I will let you folks know how I make out. Thanks so much for caring and God bless--Hopeto
hi again. glad to hear you sound so hopeful. yeah as kat said the trying of new meds can get so old after a while. weaning off the prozac sounds better than just stopping it. i never had any problems with lithium, initially thirst and then just a fine tremor in hands. i wasn't able to read as much as before (but then i was reading six or seven books/week!) unfortunately it didn't work for me and i gave it a year was on 1200. it does work for most people though so stick with it. i had no weight gain either so it was a pity it didn't suit me. i found eating something small after taking it took away any risk of nausea. good luck with it and i hope your pdoc stops trying the awful anti d's. if they don't work the dont work and the ensuing agitation is so not worth it. am on low dose of lexapro now but i really don't see the point of taking it when i don't think such a low dose could possibly have any effect even if pdoc thinks it will boost the abilify and lamictal. best of luck to you!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Smile Re: Thought I would feel better but feeling like a mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Hope,

I'm glad you're doing a little better today, I know that feeling of stopping the meds/not stopping the meds it's so frustrating.

I myself have cycled into a pretty stonrg hypomanic state, dropped several hundred bucks redecorating the bathrooms, of course I just moved in here 5 months ago, so ummmm...they probably didn't need it, took my own stitches out of my arms, 'cuz I figured who needs docs and my mother in law finally convinced me I was manic when i agreed to go to dinner with my husband, the same one who beat me up three weeks ago.....soooooo I left a msg with my pdoc and am going to try and lay low for the rest of the weekend, actually *lol* I think my mother in law took my car keys with her, so I'm pretty much grounded for now. I'm not much of a shopper, but I love doing it when I'm manic, I jsut run aroudn the store throwing thinggs inthe basket not looking at prices, it's a ablast!

I hope you continue to get this Prozac mess worked out, maybe bug the **** out of yoru pdoc on Monday and make him fix you!

kat
kat. yep you sound manic alright. am so familiar with the shopping thing. the only good thing for me is that i generally stick to the bargain rail!! am not safe to be let out to shops! dinner with abuser??? not a good plan. glad you have a caring mother in law! hope you get to see/talk to pdoc soon. maybe meds need tweaking!

Closed Thread