It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
(male)

gravureguy HB User
Lightbulb ssi disability for bipolar adult unable to work

Hi yall. My favorite brother in law is bipolar and is unable to work after his last 4 month manic episode. The Pdoc has him off work for 2 months at least. Anyone out there have any experience with trying to gett SSI disability? He also is an alcoholic ( not drinking for 2 years now!), has had 2 heart surgeries and is a vietnam vet who should probably have VA disability for PTSD since that is what started his drinking. I'm travelling to see him for 2 weeks and try to help with VA and work issues (will either be forcibly retired or fired if he ever gets released to go back to work.) His wife makes about 300 per week cleaning houses and he fets no pay when he is out of work. He was/is a HVCA tech and really shouldn't be working with electricity. He is alos maxed out on his psyc meds due to the heart condition. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: ssi disability for bipolar adult unable to work

Applications for SSI are almost always denied the first time around. I would encourage your brother in law to obtain as much documentation as possible (from a psychiatrist and/or therapist if he sees one) indicating the extent to which his bipolar negatively impairs his daily functioning.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-18-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
(male)

gravureguy HB User

ever here of anyone successful with the application? He is seeing a pdoc and seeking VA assistance.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Yes, I actually know several. One of them has BPI and was successful in getting her SSI on the first try.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

It is a difficult process, but it can be done. Does the company he works for not offer short term disability?

Kat

Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
(male)

gravureguy HB User

don't know....going to find out

Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
(male)

gravureguy HB User

What is Bipolar I? Im not aware of types/classifications.
TX

Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Bipolar one is defined as having manic episodes, and usually, but not always, depressive episodes. Bipolar two is far more depressive in nature, with hypo-manic episodes.

Manic episodes usually involve things like risk taking behavior, excessive, sexual promiscuity, feelings of grandeur, intense creativity, etc.

Hypo-manic episodes are milder, and while they can be extremely unpleasant, generally aren't as risky or as disruptive to the person's life.

I hope I'm not offending anyone with these broad definitions--obviously everyone's experiences are different, just trying to give an overview.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
(male)

gravureguy HB User

thanks for the insight. sounds like BP1 is what he is undergoing.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
(female)

cocos421 HB User

Just wanted to say that I am on Social Security Disability and I am Bipolar 2.
I was also diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety. As soon as I applied, I got a lawyer involved. It took over 2 years and I was denied a couple of times. It was well worth the wait, however, I received all that in backpay.
At the time, I did not think I was going to win becasue I didn't think my bipolar was severe enough. It was nothing like stories I have read. The lawyer focused on my dibilitating depresions and anxiety of leaving the house to go to work, shop, drive, etc.
It's worth a shot to appply, but it is a long, nerve wracking process.
It helps to have lots of documentation from a doctor. I had a stay in a mental health facility for 5 days and I think that may have helped me as well.
I wish him well.

Closed Thread