It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
(male)

dn1977 HB User
Bipolar and pain pill addiction

My wife suffers with Bipolar disorder and with pain in her hand from a serious injury. Since we have been married she has been on many different cocktails of meds to try to keep her stable. She has been on pain medicine (opana and hydromorphine) for the chronic pain.

Over the last several years there has been ups and downs most often being pretty managable. Over this last year her abuse with the pain meds have been out of control along with this past month in a mostly psycosis state in which she binged on cocane and abandoned her family. To say the least she hit rock bottom. This whole time I was constantly begging and pleaing with her to get help.

Well she is in her second day of detox in the hospital so far with the plan to stay.

Basically my question is there anyone who has dealt with such an addiction along with bipolar?

Was she possibly using the pain medicine to escape from the mania?

Most people would run from this situation which I have thought too myself.
I understand what a difficult disorder this must be to live with and believe that her addiction and bipolar have taken her over. I am supporting her, and would also like advice on how spouses and if they attend the therapist and psychiatry appointments.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: Bipolar and pain pill addiction

Well first off welcome to the Board.

Yes BP meds can cause addiction in and of themselves. I recently had to come off of Zoloft after 7 yrs of use, and the withdrawals were not fun. Now I am weaning off of Cymbalta and so far it hasn't to be to bad, but my pdoc is doing it very slow. Klonopin is extremely addictive as are all of the Benzo's. As for the Pain Meds, of course they are addictive, I recently 4 months ago had to wean off of Fentanyl which is the strongest opiod pain killer possible, and didn't have much trouble. I am now on Oxycontin and Percocet, the strongest one available. And yes I have concersn of having to detox them when i don't need them at some point. some people have a greater tolerance to meds than others.

Now, as for the cocaine addiction, street drugs are a whole different story, and it sounds like your wife is just where she needs to be. Once she kicks that she'll be on her way to be a product member of your family, loving and supportive of you.

You are a great man, you have supportive your wife through all of this and not let it drive you away, there are not many men who can claim this.

For now she just needs to kicking the cocaine addiction. As for the pain meds if she doesn't need them anymore, then take her to her providiving doc and tell him, so that he can stop providing them. As for the BP meds it depends on whether she/you wants her to be able to control her BP and stay stable and be able to help you with your family. Even though you can grow a dependance on they, they are necesary for her to keep her on an even keel as far as the BP goes.

Good luck with all of this and keep let us know how you're doing 'kay?

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread