It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
(male)

quantas71 HB User
feeling happy with my mania

Its been 3 weeks since my mania started. The first 2 weeks are really good for me as i feel the heaviness of the depression finally leaving my mind and body. After spending 6 months in an all consuming deep depression, the relief my mania brings i just want to enjoy it for those first few days. Now im noticing lately that im quick to go from feeling happy to going to extreme anger, when i see something or think of something from my past or how someone did somthing i did'nt like or if things are not going the way i would like them to, the anger shoots through my body instantly. I know this is the bipolar working in me, affecting my thoughts and feelings, i realize that these situations do not warrant these extreme feelings i have, its not easy living with this illness but i know we all do the best we can and if some one can share their knowledge on coping with the anger i know it would be truly appreciated.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: feeling happy with my mania

I also enjoy my mania at the beginning stages because this is when I feel extremely happy. Unfortunately though, what goes up must come down and it isn't long before I crash into depression as well as extreme anger/irritability during the middle and ending of an episode. I struggle with hourly and sometimes minute by minute rapid cycling, but am unsure of how to successfully cope with it. The only technique I can think of is to count to 10 forwards and backwards before reacting to a given situation. Someone else I know who has BPII suggested that I picture myself lying in an open field surrounded by grass as I look up at the sky. I watch the clouds and am supposed to place all of my emotions/anger on each cloud and then watch it drift by. From what I've been told, this is one technique that is used in DBT which is called Mindfulness. I've never actually tried this, but plan to in order to find out how well it works for me. I also intend to ask my tdoc if we can use either CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) or DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) to address my rapid cycling. I don't know if either of them will work, but the way I look at it, it can't hurt to try. As for your situation, I would contact your pdoc ASAP to inform him/her about the fact that you've been manic for the past 3 weeks. The last thing you want is for your mania to turn into a severe manic episode.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-21-2009 at 06:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

gemma11 HB User
Re: love my mania

Am I crazy ? I love my mania i feel great when im manic i exercise like mad lose weight am confident and feel I look good. Im irresistible to the oppisite sex, but this gets me into trouble. Right now I'm going through a depressive stage totally fed up seeing doc wed not on any meds at the moment. I just want to be happy normal

Old 02-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: love my mania

If you're crazy, then I guess that means I'm crazy too because I LOVE my manias in the beginning! It's when I feel creative, productive, intelligent, witty, funny and all kinds of ideas (mostly writing) come at me a mile a minute. My thinking is sharp and I can do several things at once.

I would strongly recommend that you start taking meds because mania can be dangerous. If not controlled, it can lead to impulsivity, gambling, shopping sprees and promiscuity.

I know when I'm manic I need to be really careful because it's when I talk to everyone regardless of whether or not they want to have a conversation with me. If I'm not medicated, who knows where this can lead. I'm also tempted to drink alcohol even though I know I shouldn't when on meds.

It's these kinds of things that make mania so dangerous.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I agree with Dreams, I only get Manic a few times a year, usually when they majorly jack with my meds, which is happening right now, so I'm manic right now, and I'm loving it, because normally I'm med resistant suicidally depressed. But you do have to be careful, yesterday I agreed to go over to my soon to be ex husbands house for dinner, and this is the same alcoholic guy who beat me up pretty bad 3 weeks ago. Thank god my mother in law whatches me and acts as my keeper and nixed that plan, or once again I could have gotten into a lot of trouble.

kat

Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
(female)

noams HB User

I love mania as well but I know it has a huge down side the further you go up the further you fall,the depression that follows can be horrible and dangerous. It is best to try to stay in the middle of both.
I do no for a fact that mania can cause brain damage over time and is best avoided.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you have any books which support the fact that mania causes brain damage? I've heard a few people say this and I'm wondering if it's really true. If it is, then I'm in serious trouble because I'm a rapid cycler who experiences more than 4 manic episodes/year.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think mania can be a good thing. It allows us to be productive, creative, witty and funny. It would be nice if there was a way to experience mania without the inevitable crash.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

I just googled it and it says that Mania can cause brain damage but there is not scientific proof to back it up. They're saying that just because Mania uses 2 different parts of the brain at rapid rates, so it could happen they just don't know....like a million other things about this disease.

kat

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

I'm going to ask my pdoc about this because I'm curious. If in fact mania does cause some brain damage, I'm up a creek without a paddle (like everyone else here). I can't wait until the day they find a cure.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-25-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
(female)

noams HB User

hey here are some sites where i found info about possible brain damage, my mother told me that brain damage may happen she works in mental health with people who have bi polar. I am not sure where she go the info from.

[url]http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-05/uoc--ssb050603.php[/url]
[url]http://psychiatry.jwatch.org/cgi/content/citation/2003/619/4[/url]
[url]http://pub.ucsf.edu/today/cache/news/200305072.html[/url]
[url]http://news.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-2/Enzyme-linked-to-mania-and-schizophrenia-impairs-higher-brain-functions-2087-1/[/url]

Finding this info was a bit of a challenge, looks like a lot more research needs to be done. From what I have read it seems that the longer you have mania the higher the risk of greater ups and downs. hope some of this helps

Last edited by moderator2; 02-25-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: one of the websites was a commercial website and is disallowed - please read the posting rules

Old 02-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Provided that one is medicated, severe and prolonged mania can be avoided. Manic episodes tend to become worse as one ages if they are not medicated, so it seems to make sense that the brain would be negatively affected in some way -- although in what way specifically, I don't know. Having said that, I wouldn't be too concerned. There isn't enough research to prove that this is the case and besides, think of how many people -- highly intelligent people -- there are who have had BP for 20 years or more and yet they haven't suffered any negative consequences in terms of brain damage.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
(female)

gemma11 HB User
Re:Went to the doctor now on meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemma11 View Post
Am I crazy ? I love my mania i feel great when im manic i exercise like mad lose weight am confident and feel I look good. Im irresistible to the oppisite sex, but this gets me into trouble. Right now I'm going through a depressive stage totally fed up seeing doc wed not on any meds at the moment. I just want to be happy normal
Now on meds the doc percribed escitalopram, I've been on it before and was ok. I haven't actually been diagnosed with bipolar but my dad had manic depression and I seem to go through real highs and then lows usually about 2 or 3 highs a year. Then sometimes sort of normal if there is such a thing.

I wish I could get diagnosed. I'm struggling with work at the moment I have no motivation its like im just going through the motions. I haven't told anyone at work they just wouldn't understand. Thanks for replying to my post I don't fel so alone now.

Closed Thread