It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

sar1279 HB User
Question Advice Please!!

HI! Well were do I start? I have been with my fiance for 14 years ( high school sweethearts) and he has recently been diagnosed bi polar. I guess my number one concern is that he has smoked marajuana since the day we met. In Dec. 2008 he was layed off work ( we new it was coming voluntary type thing.) And we were both excited so he would be home for Christmas and stuff. Then the week before christmas it all started. He woke up shaking really really bad, anxiety and could not stop crying. We have been on quiet the journey ever since! He has not told his doctor about the smoking part. I think it is very important he does! I ( we) wonder if after smoking all these years would make have seem bipolar? I'm really confused right now! I have done alot of reading on this and think he is bipolar but the not knowing about the smoking part just makes me wonder I guess! Right now the doctor has him on Lithium 900 mg and just started 10 mg. celexa. I would appericate any advice! Thanks again!! Sorry if there's spelling errors!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Advice Please!!

Okay I'm going to be totally blunt here. As long as he is smoking weed, and his meds will never work the way theey are supposed to. He really needs to tell the pdoc so that can get worked out. Or perhaps you should tell the pdoc, someone needs to, otherwise your wasting your money on therapy because your pdoc is not going to have much luck getting him properly diagnosed and treated until the week smoking is done.

Sorry if that was too blunt, but it's basically the only way to put it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I agree, kat. Any substance abuse has to be treated before an accurate diagnosis and treatment can be made.

Marijuana can damage the brain. I know it's supposed to be harmless, but iI have seen people with fried brains who will never come back.

You also can't tell how much of his behavior is drug-related.Will he go to AA or Pills Anonymous. And kat's right, he needs to be up front with doctors. It sounds as if he is addicted to it.

I am wishing the best - this is a hard one.

Seaturtle

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Dual Diagnosis are very common--situations where there are drug or alcohol addictions and bipolar. He does need to be upfront with his doctor, because treatment of the two together is different than treatment of just one issue, bipolar or addiction. I would try to hold off on blame--there is a lot of evidence that the two issues are medically connected--but he definitly needs to be working on both, with the help of his doctor.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
(female)

sar1279 HB User

HI again! Thank you for you advice and no that was not to blunt at all! you all will be seeing me around for a while! I read through this board all the time and it's amazing how supportive everyone is! Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

SR,

Please continue to be among us, we'd like for you to join our group and offer any support you need.

kat

Closed Thread