It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
confusion, memory loss

Hi, all good people here,

Today I suddenly can't even spell right have to edit my lines and correct words that are just everyday ones. I am forgetting things, like things I have only eard 5 minutes ago, and forgetting what I'm reading the same way.

Can depression cause this or can something in bp do it? I am really scared by it. For examples I just had to correct "it" and really, and couldn't figure out how to spell certainly. I am a writer, and spelling is effortless for me.

Can we go into fogs like this?

Thanks again for responses,
Seaturtle

Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: confusion, memory loss

Seaturtle,

Yes BP fogs are quite normal. What meds are you on, I can't remember. I'm on Lamictal, Cymbalta, Abilify, Buspar, and Topomax....and several of these cause my brain for. My former assistant used to have to always figure out what I was trying to say bacause even though it was in my head I couldn't get it out my mouth. I'd look for the car keys forever and they'd be on the bar, right where I left them

So don't feel alone, I think we all have a touch of this.

kat

by the way I pm'd you but haven't gotten a response back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Seaturtle,

I have difficulty with this too and have ever since I started taking meds for my BP 3 years ago. I have severe short term memory loss and there are times where I lose track of what I'm saying or others are saying. I'm currently taking Depakote, Fluoxetine, Geodon, Trazodone and Clonazepam and I have no doubt that they are all responsible for impairing my ability to think clearly and remember facts long term. I also take Topamax for migraines although as you know, it also doubles as a mood stabilizer. I'm pretty certain this med negatively affects my thinking as well.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-23-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Hi Seaturtle,
Good to hear from you - haven't seen you about recently.

Yes, I get this nearly everyday with my BP - although I'm sure it's the meds and not the BP as everytime my meds are tinkered with it gets worse for a while - it's got much worse, especially the memory, since addition of Amisulpride.

Brain fog is a good way to describe it - can't speak sentences, can't read lines, can't write text - well, can't do any of them proerly when like this!!!

Take Care,
Nut.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User
Smile Re: confusion, memory loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
Hi, all good people here,

Today I suddenly can't even spell right have to edit my lines and correct words that are just everyday ones. I am forgetting things, like things I have only eard 5 minutes ago, and forgetting what I'm reading the same way.

Can depression cause this or can something in bp do it? I am really scared by it. For examples I just had to correct "it" and really, and couldn't figure out how to spell certainly. I am a writer, and spelling is effortless for me.

Can we go into fogs like this?

Thanks again for responses,
Seaturtle

seaturtle.

brain fog is also how i describe it, it was particularly bad on lithium. not so bad now but sometimes my mind just goes blank! i think it is the meds. i have had to edit several posts because of typos i wouldn't normally make at all!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Seaturtle,

In my case, I think my inability to concentrate and think clearly has to do with a combination of my meds and BP. When I'm manic, depressed, delusional, psychotic or have racing thoughts, all of these symptoms interfere with my memory, ability to type and write as coherently as I'd like. Unfortunately, this seems to be something most (if not all) of us with BP have to deal with.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Dear all,

Oh, thanks sooo much for your responses. I saw pdoc today, and told her that besides the memory loss (yes, immediately after and sometimes during a conversation), I am having tremor, dropping things, some incoordination, ataxia. She said Lamictal probably is the culprit, so I'm going to try reducing it. I hope I can, because without Lamictal, well, I don't function well.

I am grateful and comforted by knowing I'm not alone, and more so by knowing it might not be Alzheimer's after all.

Hugs to everyone,

Seaturtle

The Following User Says Thank You to seaturtle For This Useful Post:
brownn1974 (04-22-2011)
Old 02-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Dear all,

Oh, thanks sooo much for your responses. I saw pdoc today, and told her that besides the memory loss (yes, immediately after and sometimes during a conversation), I am having tremor, dropping things, some incoordination, ataxia. She said Lamictal probably is the culprit, so I'm going to try reducing it. I hope I can, because without Lamictal, well, I don't function well.

I am grateful and comforted by knowing I'm not alone, and more so by knowing it might not be Alzheimer's after all.

Hugs to everyone,

Seaturtle
glad that worry is removed from your shoulders! also hope reduction in lamictal doesn't throw you out. maybe pdoc could add in something to boost it?? am also glad she took you seriously. i am steadily increasing lamictal now on 300 to be increased in increments of 25 every fifth day. my doc wasn't impressed as his book told him 200 was therapeutic dose. any pdoc knows better! i get about six or seven hours of relief during the day from meds now which is good but makes going back down worse in evenings and mornings.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

HI, irishwriter,

Huh, you just taught me something. I wondered why I feel so crummy in the evening and morning before I take my meds.
Do you split the dosage of Lamictal? I will ask my pdoc about doing that.
I only dropped 25 mg, so we will see. But after only 2 days of doing that, a lot of the symptoms I wrote about have vanished.
Strange that such a tiny increase would do that.
200?? Wha? Can you change pdocs? 4-500 (the latter in a pinch) is the limit, far as I know.

Hope you're doing okay,

Seaturtle

Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Irish & Seaturtle,

200 is the FDA approved limit for Lamictal. But pdocs go up to 400mg for a therapeutic dose.

kat

Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
HI, irishwriter,

Huh, you just taught me something. I wondered why I feel so crummy in the evening and morning before I take my meds.
Do you split the dosage of Lamictal? I will ask my pdoc about doing that.
I only dropped 25 mg, so we will see. But after only 2 days of doing that, a lot of the symptoms I wrote about have vanished.
Strange that such a tiny increase would do that.
200?? Wha? Can you change pdocs? 4-500 (the latter in a pinch) is the limit, far as I know.

Hope you're doing okay,

Seaturtle

NO i don't split the dose of lamictal but effect improved when i added abilify. my pdoc wants me to go to 400 but i have to go to dr for script so that i dont have to pay for it and every time i have to argue with him that this is the dose for me!! also last night pdoc told me to take 5 of abilify in the evening along with the 10 in the morning and it did help with the downs. the awful urge to suicide was gone but the desire was still there. still an improvement and am almost at finished day five of no sh. critical point now as it gets tougher as each day passes! will be at five at 3.00pm! furthest i've gotten so far so maybe i'll make six! fingers crossed

am v. glad some of your symptoms/side effects decreased. that is good news and hope it continues.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Good news about the sh! I hope you make it through the 6th, 7th, and 8th.

If it helps any, I have struggle with many addictions (what else?) for many years. Kicking them is a terribly difficult proces, and that's putting it lightly. I found that I could tough it through (sometimes meaning I had to leave my apartment and go to someone who would just sit with me to prevent me acting on the strong urges). I had to decide that no matter what, I would not give in to the urge.

It was absolute hell. But as time passed, I grew stronger, and the habits got weaker. I still struggle with stuff, one day at a time. But I know I can do it.

I know how hard it is. But it can be done, and I think you are on your way to getting it under control. I am so glad the meds are helping. Wouldn't it be nice if they just cured us?

Let us know how you are doing. You certainly have all my support.

Seaturtle

Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

Seroquel causes the hand tremors that got so bad that I could not even grasp a cup. I can't even count how many times I would have to change clothes because I would pick up my glass of Orange Juice or cup of tea, and it would just drop out of my hands. When my pdoc and I decided to drop it, them the severe hand tremorss. Just wanted to make you aware.

Seaturtle,

Have you had any of the "brain zaps) feels like somone is sending electric shots trough your head those cand be te worst. Good luck with all of this.

kat

Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

****** it , i cut again last night. not as bad though and i don't think this time i feel the need to continue to another 100, also don't think i'll tell pdoc! don't want him to know i broke the contract! the abilify at night had helped, he had suggested i take it three times/day and really just play around with dose till i find the one that works for me. he has also requested list of meds for last four years from doc so that we dont try ones that haven't worked for me in the past. i do think the abilify makes me clumsy though or maybe the lamictal as well as sometimes my balance isn't the best! my daughter thinks it is hilarious! have flu again which is pain the b**tt as it took four weeks to get over it the last time and i rarely get sick as i said to megan 'other than the major illness i have!'

hope you still feel better.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi, kat,

No, not the brain zaps. Withdrawal from Paxil, OMG, I remember those so well.
I no longer have much tremor or ataxia or brain blip since the tiny reduction in Lamictal. I do have a jerking of my hands sometimes when I go to pick something up, and I drop a lot of things unless I make myself aware of my hands and grip things hard.

How are you doing, friend?

Seaturtle

Closed Thread