It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

lmalise HB User
how long does it take to become stable?

I was just diagnosed with bipola 1 in November after losing my last two siblings within 11 days. I had an episode in 1987 but was never diagnosed as bipolar just depression and have been taking prozac since then. Was told in November by my psychiatrist that Prozac was the wrong drug to take and that it brings episodes of bipolar on! I'm on 50 mgs of Lamictle and 200 mgs of seroquel at night and 50 mgs twice a day. Seroquel helps me sleep but as soon as I open my eyes the anxiety and agitation starts and I'm in a state of fear and dread. Loss of appetite. Don't want to be around any of my friends and can't concentrate on things that I usually loved. Any suggestions or info will be greatly appreciated. Loretta

Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: how long does it take to become stable?

When used alone, anti-depressants can induce mania. However, if they are used with one or two mood stabilizers, this lessens the chances of that happening. I'm taking Fluoxetine (Prozac generic) and am also taking Depakote and Topamax (for migraines), so the fact that I'm on 2 mood stabilizers is protecting me enough from experiencing manic episodes.

As for your question about how long it takes to become stable, it varies from person to person. What complicates this is the fact that meds work differently for everyone. What works well for one person may not work well for another.

I've been unstable with my rapid cycling for the past 1.5 years and was just put on a new med that seems to be helping me. Whenever I feel myself start to cycle into agitation, I take this med (Clonazepam) and it calms me down in 20 minutes. It has only been 2 days since I started taking it, but it has been a real Godsend for me just the same because I feel as if I've been given my life back.

It should be noted that it can take 6-8 weeks before medication is fully absorbed in the bloodstream and side effects begin to decrease or disappear completely.

As far as Lamictal is concerned, the therapeutic dose is 100mg and up. 50mg is a moderate dose, but I'm assuming that your pdoc is titrating you to a higher dose? Is that correct?

I wish you all the best with your meds.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

lmalise HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
When used alone, anti-depressants can induce mania. However, if they are used with one or two mood stabilizers, this lessens the chances of that happening. I'm taking Fluoxetine (Prozac generic) and am also taking Depakote and Topamax (for migraines), so the fact that I'm on 2 mood stabilizers is protecting me enough from experiencing manic episodes.

As for your question about how long it takes to become stable, it varies from person to person. What complicates this is the fact that meds work differently for everyone. What works well for one person may not work well for another.

I've been unstable with my rapid cycling for the past 1.5 years and was just put on a new med that seems to be helping me. Whenever I feel myself start to cycle into agitation, I take this med (Clonazepam) and it calms me down in 20 minutes. It has only been 2 days since I started taking it, but it has been a real Godsend for me just the same because I feel as if I've been given my life back.

It should be noted that it can take 6-8 weeks before medication is fully absorbed in the bloodstream and side effects begin to decrease or disappear completely.

As far as Lamictal is concerned, the therapeutic dose is 100mg and up. 50mg is a moderate dose, but I'm assuming that your pdoc is titrating you to a higher dose? Is that correct?

I wish you all the best with your meds.
todreamsinneon
Thanks for your feed back. I was on 100 mgs of Lamictal and my heart was racing and I could hear my heart beats in my ear - so was taken down to 50. My next appt wasn't until 3/10 but called pdoc today and she is getting me in tomorrow at 6:30 PM. I have been very agitated and anxious for past seven days (last saw doc 2/2). Seroquel does help me sleep but in AM all the panic and agitation starts with racing thoughts of my brother who passed (I was his caretaker). The more I read abot bipolar I'm finding that it could take some time to get the right combination of meds. It seems the pdoc I'm going to now is very much against taking any ssri's for bipolar. I've only been with her since Nov 3 so I'll give it more time or perhaps get a second opinion. I'm so glad I found this site. It's very lonely and scary having this disease. Again, thanks for your info and I'll talk to you soon. lmalise

Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
(female)

klyn07 HB User

I am sorry you are not doing well.

It took me well over a year of med tweaking and weekly therapy visits to help stabilize me. I am not 100% better but am much better off than I was before my diagnosis. I hope you get there too.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Yes, having bipolar can be a very lonely experience. However, I hope you'll come here and post to the boards so that we can support you. <smile>

There aren't too many pdocs who feel comfortable giving people with bipolar anti-depressants even if they are on a mood stabilizer for fear of it causing mania. My pdoc happens to be one of the few who has read research regarding the efficacy of Depakote and Fluoxetine in addressing mania and depression. My tdoc also has several clients who are on this med combo (as I am) who are doing well. I never talked to my old pdoc about being put on an anti-depressant only because at the time I was too busy rapid cycling and experiencing manic episodes. It wasn't until October (when I start to become severely depressed) that I seriously considered taking an anti-depressant to see if it could work for me. I hope you'll try to hang in there with regards to your meds. It may take awhile to find the right med combo, but then again, it may not. If you're interested in what another pdoc has to say about your symptoms, it might not hurt to get a second opinion. Perhaps they have a recommendation for a different mood stabilizer other than Lamictal should Lamictal give you problems.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Closed Thread