It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
(male)

PissPants HB User
Lamictal is Useless

at least for me - been on it for over 2 mos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

klyn07 HB User
Re: Lamictal is Useless

Maybe your dose is just wrong? Is there any chance it can be changed or you can switch to a different med?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

what does are you on? I take 100mg and I am beginning to agree with you. My Dr wants me to take lithium but I am fighting hard not to....
J

Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Lamictal is the best thing that has happened to me in the med area. Just goes to show you how differently we react to mes.

I do hope you find one that helps you!

Seaturtle

Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
(male)

PissPants HB User

200 mg. Also on Lexapro 10mg. My life sucks.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
(female)

court91 HB User

im on lamictal and i dont think it works that well either, i still get manic and depressed sometimes but not as much as i used too! im not on 100mgs though.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

mustluvcats HB User

To me, that was a terrible therapy. I got even more depressed, constant crying spells, and then I got that rash.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
(male)

oldrocker HB User

I've been on it for 3 years, it has worked wonders for me. At first I was on it with lexapro, but was later taken off the lexapro. That's when things got better for me. I now take 150 mg daily along with 1/2 mg of xanax 2 times a day. I have made sure to not use alcohol or any other drugs, not even my prescription pain meds and muscle relaxers. I now feel great most of the time. This past Christmas was the first in 20 something years that I didn't get whacked out in some way, it was almost unreal.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

some of Y'all seem to be on rather low doses, have you ever considered asking your pdocs about raising your dosage, if you don't feel it's doing enough? I've taken it for a year, 300mg. I also take abilify, buspar, trazadone, and Topomax. Just a thought for those of you who don't think it's helping. And then again all meds won't work well for everyone.

I am a Chronic Pain patient though and do have to use my prescription pain meds, although as I've been on them for years they have no euphroric affect on me. But you do what you have to do I guess.

kat

Last edited by katlin09; 03-20-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
(male)

glowstckgorilla HB User
Thumbs up Re: Lamictal is Useless

I don't think I'm bipolar if I am I unfortunately experience the manic depression side of things (feels like a total ripoff) can't even enjoy the mania stage

I've been using:
-lamictal since about Dec 08 - raised dose up to 300 mg last week
-been on wellbutrin 300mg xl for past 4+ years
-discontinued celexa when we started the lamictal
-recently precsribed lorazepam for occasion anxiety - has no noticeably effect
**Wish my Dr would let me try Xanax to see if it has a positive outcome - but he is wary of Xanax and ambien due to negative experiences in patients

The verdict -

I feel like each day is a haze, since I returned from my 2 year mission seemed like a steady decline in overall mental wellbeing

-loss of interest in things i enjoyed - hobbies - socializing - friends
-lack of motivation in almost all things I work 40 hours and go to school 11 credits -

<deleted: not a subject for this website>

Not sure if my meds are helping - pherhaps need to normalize them by taking constantly for the next 6 weeks -

**Items that would probably help - putting myself out there socially - good friends and networking is nearly next to equal to mental wellbeing as any prescriptions can do
-Get myself more involved spiritually - studying scriptures, prayer,

Appreciate the support board

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

blsshme HB User
Smile Re: Lamictal is Useless

Greetings,

I was diagnosed with BiPolar in 2006 after first being diagnosed with Chronic Depression. It took me a while to accept that I have this disorder. I was placed on Lamictal. The mg's were increased... I think it was 75mg then to 100 to 150 to 300 or something like that. I was also put on Wellbutrin first... 300 xl. I had to take Sonata- 10mg for sleeping... but something happened... I had some pretty unusual hallucinations. I still think it was something else, but my doctor thought it was the combination. So he switched me to serequel 25mg.

After 2 plus years on the meds I still had mood swings with the medicine... I'm not for sure if Lamictal is affective or not now. All I know is that I have bad stomach aches or nausea feelings... does anyone else experience that? I used to take them all at the same time, but then I switched to taking the wellbutrin in the morning and the other two at night. I always take the pills with a whole bunch of food.... just wondering if anyone else experienced what I did/do.

***Blessings***

Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Glowsckgorilla,

Just an observation, but in your post you said you need to normalize your meds and take them constantly to see if they'll work.

If you're not med compliant, meaning taking your meds everday as prescribed, then the odds are you won't get stable and they won't work. Also Manic Depression is not a diagnosis, your either Manic or your depressed.

kat

Last edited by katlin09; 03-26-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Manic depression is the same thing as bipolar. (Manic depression is an older term that was used for bipolar. The term bipolar was added to the DSM in 1980.) If you're showing signs of mania and depression, this means that you're bipolar.

I would highly recommend that you take your meds on a daily basis.

If you don't, your symptoms have the potential to become worse.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-26-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I have been on 200mg of lamictal now for almost three years. I am not sure if it works that well or not. It seems like I always need more meds and it doesn't work alone. Abilify has made a HUGE difference in my life, however. That I know for sure.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
(female)

kateayy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
I have been on 200mg of lamictal now for almost three years. I am not sure if it works that well or not. It seems like I always need more meds and it doesn't work alone. Abilify has made a HUGE difference in my life, however. That I know for sure.

i agree, i take the same amount of Lamictal and i am still having outbreaks [if you wanna call it that] of bipolar. it was supposed to be all gone by now and yet its not...at all. I dont think its working.

Closed Thread