It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Stopped Prozac and on just Lithium

Hi all! I have been for the past two months on Prozac but my pdoc stopped it because of odd thoughts that I had been having. I don't know if anyone else has had huge hypersexual thoughts while on Prozac, but I did and it wasn't even fun! They were so stupid and ridiculous that all I can say is thank God I kept busy and worked it out with my doctor. Right now I'm only taking Lithium (300 mg) for the time being and at least I'm still able to sleep a little better than I was over a month ago. I had stopped smoking on Jan. 6th and once I did and was only taking Prozac did the hyperactivity start. No sleep and stupid thoughts--who needed it? I have been reading about different famous people who have sworn by Lithium for stabilizing their mood and was wondering if anyone on the board also swears by it also. It has been so easy to take and I don't feel drugged. I really feel more normal, at least normal for me and not all over the place. I would love to hear from anyone who takes or has taken Lithium or also had a similar horror story about the Prozac. In another post I wrote I was feeling worse but I think things might be getting better! Thanks so much--Hopeto

Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
(female)

anise HB User
Re: Stopped Prozac and on just Lithium

Hi! When I was diagnosed I was put on Lithium and Prozac...the Prozac is a real help to me where depression is concerned but Docs will always think twice about this combination as the Prozac CAN sometimes react with the Lithium and cause agitation etc - sounds like thats what happened to you.
I totally agree with what you say about Lithium...side affects seem to disappear quite quickly, my only issue is that I have piled on a lot of weight( am dealing with it !)but it is SO nice not to feel "medicated" !
Sounds like you have hit the correct drug for you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
(female)

anise HB User

Hi Hopeto, just wanted to add that I am really pleased that your meds are working out!Congratulationsx

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
(female)

cheerus HB User
Arrow Re: Stopped Prozac and on just Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetofeelwell1 View Post
Hi all! I have been for the past two months on Prozac but my pdoc stopped it because of odd thoughts that I had been having. I don't know if anyone else has had huge hypersexual thoughts while on Prozac, but I did and it wasn't even fun! They were so stupid and ridiculous that all I can say is thank God I kept busy and worked it out with my doctor. Right now I'm only taking Lithium (300 mg) for the time being and at least I'm still able to sleep a little better than I was over a month ago. I had stopped smoking on Jan. 6th and once I did and was only taking Prozac did the hyperactivity start. No sleep and stupid thoughts--who needed it? I have been reading about different famous people who have sworn by Lithium for stabilizing their mood and was wondering if anyone on the board also swears by it also. It has been so easy to take and I don't feel drugged. I really feel more normal, at least normal for me and not all over the place. I would love to hear from anyone who takes or has taken Lithium or also had a similar horror story about the Prozac. In another post I wrote I was feeling worse but I think things might be getting better! Thanks so much--Hopeto
Hope to feel well, Hi & Yes I Have been taking Lithium along with prozac for many years like over 7 years or more and it works for me. I Was fortunatate to get the right doctor for me and was fortunate to have the right medicine work for me. Its like my doctor said to me if I Were to have a heart condition I Would need to take medicine for it so its no different Taking medicine for the brain to make it work better . Also my doctor actually had Bi-polar disorder so he could relate and that was very helpful but yes lithium is one of the best drugs they have for bi-polar disorder its one of the oldest and best drugs to treat bi-polar is what my doctor said. And I Just know how it makes me feel as you said normal & I Can live a normal every day life and sure like anyone I Get my ups & downs but there normal ups & downs in life . Lithium keeps my moods stable and normal and I Just know it works for me along with prozac. Prozac always worked for me as well. Goodluck with Lithium I Hope it works for you too. Bren

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I take Fluoxetine (Prozac generic) in addition to Depakote, Geodon, Trazodone and Clonazepam. So far, it has worked really well in helping to control my depression. I haven't had a depressive episode in 2 weeks.

As far as your hyperactivity is concerned, I wonder if Prozac didn't cause you to have a manic or hypomanic episode? Feeling hypersexual can be one of the signs of mania. I know it is for me.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Anise, Cheerus & Dreams! I am so glad that all of you posted because up until today I have gone from the feeling of being okay, to the depths of despair because of upset stomach and chronic hives and just general crumminess, and now to finally starting to work on the current issues that I'm having. I would love to have two or three meds work together for a common cause without having a million side effects and this stops me dead in my tracks because of chronic allergies. I am glad that I stopped the Prozac because I couldn't take another horrendous manic libidinous thought. I should laugh--who'da thunk it? Me? In lust? LOL! I can laugh now but it was horrible for real. I told my pdoc last week and she stopped the Prozac. Now what I'm showing is a bit of depression, anxiety, and a different mood every day and after this bit with the hives over the past few days, I told my therapist--SHE IS A GODSEND--and she called my pdoc. I had suggested that I change the Lithium tablets from peach colored 300 mgs to white 150 mg tablets(they're white colored and less of a chance of allergy from the dye) and the pdoc agreed. She's great, too and hopefully some of this will clear up by the 24th of March which is when I see her next. In my other post, I have mentioned how down and discouraged I feel, but today I have more hope, with friends like all of you on this board and two wonderful mental health associates. I will pause for now and hopefully things will improve. Thanks so much again and God bless--Hopeto--

Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

That's so great to hear hopeto! I wish you continued stability and will be crossing my fingers that the change in med dosage will be exactly what you need to feel better!
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-03-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Closed Thread