It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

sar1279 HB User
Not sure what to do next

It's been 2 days without him smoking (marijuana) and says he is fine with it. He said he has no desire and could care less about it. Yesterday was an awesome day! It was the happiest he has been in a few months. Today was another story! He has been really down an is extremly stressed out that the doctor won't give him a higher perscription of xanax. He takes 3 .5mg a day and they're not helping with the anxiety. Do you think he's under medicated? I tell him it's easy for me to say but he needs to hang in ther and we'll get through this together! I made an apt. for tomorrow and would like to tell the doctor about the smoking and he is scared that the doctor definetly won't perscribe him more xanax thinking he' just replacing one thing with another. By the way he has been seeing his regular doctor not a physciatrist. I am starting the process for that tomorrow. Every where I call has atleast a month waiting list. I am trying very hard to keep his spirits up and now he has said he doesn't even want to go tomorrow. Any advice on helping him through this? Thanks again!! I have told him about this web site so hopefully he will get on here sometime!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Not sure what to do next

Honestly the does of xanax he is taking is not small. I doubt a family doc would prescribe more than that since it is a very addictive med. And family docs don't most of the time don't feel comfortable treating BiPolar because they're not trained to deal with this type of disorder. I know you said you were trying to get him into a psychologist, but that would really be a major step. He needs to see one as soon as possible, for 1. to verify his diagnosis and 2. to get on the proper meds.

Have you asked you family doc to refer him to a Psychiatrist, sometimes when they call to refer someone they can get you in faster, just something to consider.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Not sure what to do next

HI,

kat is right, that's a hefty dose of Xanax, and you become adapted to that drug and almost inevitably have to increase it.
It has a very difficult withdrawal.

He may be going into withdrawal from the week, I think, and need some professional help in doing that. A good pdoc is necessary, from what you say, both to ease him through the withdrawal and get that Xanax down, too.

I know he's afraid of that, but he can be on other, more effective medications, better in the long run. I guess you can go with him, be there to talk to, and watch for physical signs of withdrawal - and be sure he doesn't compensate for the week in destructive ways. In the end, though, it's better is he finds professional help and support outside your relationship, like a support group.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Seaturtle

Closed Thread