It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
(male)

Kapula HB User
Really bright flashes, ideas?

As no one cares off with my posts.

Last edited by Kapula; 03-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

Bunnylover HB User
Re: Really bright flashes, ideas?

Do you ever get bad headaches? What you're describing could be a migraine aura (which can happen without a headache), and there is a heavy over-lap between bipolar and migraines. Are any of your medications new? I would definitly call your doctor if this is a new occurence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
(male)

Kapula HB User

As no one cares off with my posts.

Last edited by Kapula; 03-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Kapula,

I think previous poster hit the nail on the head. I get cluster migraines, ones that last for up to 13 - 16 days and I have the exact things you've described, and then some.

Also I think it would be fairly rare, if not impossible to get epilepsy from a medication. My mother was an epileptic, as was my older sister, who died from the disease when I was 13.

People tend to confuse a "Seizure Disorder" which you can get from medication, which I have, with Epilepsy. If you have Epilepsy you are born with it, it's a brain chemical disorder just like BP is a brain chemical disorder.

kat

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

I'm glad you're going to look into the migraines. I don't get an aura, but my mom and my sister do (and I think about 2/3 of migraine suffers--they're very common, although different for each person.) Migraines can evolve over time too, my mom spent over a year trying to figure out her recent problems with vertigo, and it turns out they are another migraine related problem that has recently appeared.

Unfortunately, Lamictal doesn't help with migraines, but many of the other mood stabilizers do (topomaxx, deprecote), and although it isn't a reported benefit, I've seen a major reduction in the number I get since I started taking seroquel.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,
I would check with your doctor right way. I have a migraine condition, too, and before it I do get visual and auditory and olfactory distortions, and flashes of lights or blue, tranclucent blobs. If your headaches are severe, I'd think migraine is the culprit, but still please check with your doctor.
Lamictal has all but cured my migraines, but migraines can also be a side effect of it.
A neurologist would probably be the best person to see.

I hope you solve this, and will be looking to see what you come up with.

Seaturtle

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I have a 21 year history of migraines. When I experience a migraine, I experience an aura (auditory hallucinations). I also feel a tingling sensation on my skin and neck. I take Topamax as a migraine preventative and Imitrex as a fast-acting migraine med. Unfortunately, my Topamax will need to be raised from 50mg to 100mg since the former isn't making a difference, but it will be interesting to see how an increase works out for me. If I were you, I would strongly advise you to see a neurologist who could help diagnose your headaches. It's very possible that you could have what are known as cluster headaches where the pain is far more severe than a migraine. Good luck.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

In my last post I forgot to tell you what meds I use for my cluster migraines, just in case you're interested:

Topamax 100mg, Axert for immediate relief if that doesn't work, I go to docs office for Tordal/phenergran injection on top of the other two.

good luck.

Kat

Closed Thread