It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Hypersexuality

I hope this is okay to post here.

I've been really hypersexual recently, to the point of it being almost painful and actually annoying. I don't want to go acting on it, but I wish it would stop.

Any suggestions?

Mods - if this is taboo topic, please do delete.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Hypersexuality

I also have problems with hypersexuality when I'm manic. The only way I've found to deal with it is to avoid people and stay home because if I don't, I end up talking to strangers whether they want to have a conversation with me or not. I tend to get very flirtatious when manic, so I need to be careful.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-05-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

That's interesting becaue I'm just the opposite, I could care a less about sex or anything related to it....I guess it's because I'm depressed all the time???

Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

I think you're right. Hypersexuality is normally seen in manic episodes -- not depressive episodes.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

You know I never thought about it one way or the other. Probably I guess because I never think about sex. It is an interesting correlation though.

kat

Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

What's interesting in my case is the fact that I've always been very uncomfortable talking about sex because of the abuse I experienced as a child into my teenage years. However, when I'm manic, all of my discomfort goes completely out the window.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Ditto, neondreams!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

See I'm the same way and thought that the reason I didn't care about sex was because of the 5 years of molestion from the time I was 9 on.....and it's been much much worse the past year and a half, when I memory bank unlocked itself....so it maybe a combination of that and the depression.

kat

Old 03-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seaturtle and Kat,

In Kat's case, it could be a combination of discomfort and depression. I know for me it's due to the fact that I was sexually abused over many years. Despite this, I still need to be careful of hypersexuality because if I don't, I could end up in a relationship I shouldn't be in since I talk to anyone and anything that moves. I don't have any inhibitions while manic and I lack judgement when it comes to making sound decisions about who I should and shouldn't talk to. This is why I try to stay home and avoid people when I'm manic. The consequences are too great if I don't.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

This is kind of off topic, but I remember you mentioning in another post that you had a serious relationship with a very nice man. Are you still seeing him?

kat

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

kat,

I wonder, too about being on the pain meds. They pretty much knock everything out of you, as do the psych meds.
I'd imagine that's one of the last things on your priority list, too.
I hope you're hanging in there. Are you experiencing any less discomfoft?

Neondreams, we sound very much alike in this area. For long, even as an adult (until fairly recently, matter of fact), I thought abuse was normal. Yikes.

Seaturtle

Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

you know dreams and I already think we are twins seperated at birth, perhaps we were all triplets seperated at birth, we have so much in common it's scary.

Seaturtle,

I'm okay, I guess. Today has been really bad, havn't been out of bed much, the depression is pretty bad, and the SH has been really bad yesterday and today, way too much drama with my ex. I felt bad cuz I haven't been online much and Dreams really needed a friend today, her depression is bad too. How are you have things settled down any? I read about your committments and groups and I think about mine which are zero because I never know if I'll be out of bed and able to fulfill the committments...and I feel rather pathetic.

My Tdoc always tries to get me to committ anyway, thinking that it will force me to go to them anyway...but I'm scared it will backfire and I'll let people down.....Oh well I'm not sure all of this came from, it just did.

kat

Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seaturtle and Kat,

I think we must be the three musketeers. LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one who considered abuse as being normal. It was strange because the only time I was able to get a break from everything that happened to me was school. It wasn't until I had an emotional breakdown in class during my senior year that one of my teachers asked me if I was having any problems at home. I lied to her and claimed I got into an argument with friends because I didn't want my father reported for sexual abuse and taken away. I still loved my father despite what he did to me and I didn't want my mother to raise me as a single parent. I guess everything eventually snowballed by 1991 when I started hearing voices. The pdoc who treated me at the time said my voices were a result of the traumas I experienced which makes sense. I also was showing signs (although I didn't know it at the time) of bipolar, so I wonder if my traumas caused that as well. I guess I'll never know. Then again, it probably doesn't matter since I have BP and the only thing I need to focus on is keeping as stable as possible.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-08-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Please don't feel bad about not being there for me yesterday. I was able to read several posts on the board which helped keep me occupied. I also spoke to my tdoc yesterday morning and that also made me feel a little better. If I'm still struggling with certain thoughts again today, I will call my tdoc and discuss the possibility of going IP since he is concerned aboout me developing psychotic depression.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-08-2009 at 06:04 AM.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Dreams,

Ditto once again, my father was in prison for 4 years for molesting my sister, he came home when I was 8, and started abusing me when I was 9. Never understood why my mother took him back in the house, as he had abused all of my siblings. She just cared only for herself. i also loved my father he alwasy told me if I told he'd have to go back to prison and I'd be alone with my mother. He knew how much I hated her and was scared of being alone with her.

It was interesting when my brain locked everything away, I'd had my father for Christmas every year of my adult life, even lived with him for 3 years, with my husband and child. Was always very close to him, as I didn't remember anything he'd done, but always felt slightly uncomfortable being alone with him and never could understand why.

I had my breakdown when I was 14 and had to spend 2 weeks in the hospital with an ulcer. Once again couldn't understand why my mother didn't do something, how many 14 yr. olds have an ulcer. Even the doctors at the hospital questioned her, as it was so unnormal. But she didn't care as usual.

So our bond at the 3 Musketeers grows stronger. *s*

kat

Closed Thread