It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
(male)

wlmrfair HB User
80 Year Old

My 80 year old father became very paranoid and is not hospitalized for evaluation. He is sooooooo paranoid that he's being "tracked, posioned, gassed, etc. etc." He has been this way for months, or maybe years but it has gotten bad. My question, once they find a medicine that helps, do people every become themselves again, or will this always be lurking?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: 80 Year Old

Hello,

That's so difficult to see, isn't it? - a parent becoming paranoid. I can only say that both my parents, who were in their 80's when they passe away, became that way. It was a product of developing senile dementia. They also became deluded as times, thinking they had bugs in their beds, things like that.

They both had great improvement from either an anti-depressant or tiny dose of anti-psychotic.

Has your dad been evaluated by someone in the psychiatric profession? t might explain this and lead him to some help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
(male)

wlmrfair HB User

I'm sorry, I misspelled some words. My father is in the mental ward for evaluation at this time. They are treating him for bipolar and dementia. He has never had treatment for bipolar in his life though. The paranoia has become horrible and he is always talking about "they will murder him", gas him, spy on him, arrest him, etc. etc. The DR is working on meds and said it will be a few days before we see results or that they may have to start all over if to find one that works. Question, once they find one that controls or lessens the delusion and hallucinations, will he be "normal" again? Or are we losing him?

Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I've been hearing voices since 1991 and have had paranoia since 1995 (I have 7 different types), so I can identify with what you are going through. I was hospitalized for my first manic/psychotic episode in 2006 during which time I experienced auditory hallucinations, delusions and severe paranoia. I stayed inpatient for a little over a month and was given mood stabilizers as well as antipsychotics which completely eliminated my symptoms. I still have problems with mania and depression, but ever since starting a different antipsychotic (the one I was given in 2006 during my hospitalization), I no longer have any paranoia or hear voices as long as I'm not manic or depressed. I think there is a strong possibility of your father living a happy, normal life again. Since he's bipolar, he may have manic or depressive episodes from time to time, but for the most part, he will function much, much better than he is now once he's on a daily med regimen. If you have any other questions you'd like to ask about auditory hallucinations, paranoia or bipolar, let me know.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-07-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

I can't speak about the demential, but the answer to your question about bipolar is both, in my experience.

Yes, with medication you can live a normal life, that's far more stable than a life without medications.

But, it is always a life of vigilence, to a certain extent. I always have to be on alert for the beginnings of depression, because if I let it get bad, it's extremely dangerous and harder to treat. I only get hypomanic, and far less often, but I would imagine its similar for people who tend towards mania.

My husbands grandmother has alzehimers, and while there is no cure, there are medications out there that can substantially help with that as well (I don't know what they are, sorry.)

Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
(male)

wlmrfair HB User

Thank you for your answer, it's very encouraging. What med are you on? They are trying Abilify.

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know who your question is directed to, but I take Geodon for my auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. It works like a charm. The only time it doesn't work is when I'm manic or depressed.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

I take lamictal (for depression), seroquel (for anxiety, sleep issues, and to ward off lamictal's tendency to make me hypomanic), and cymbalta (for anxiety).

Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

As for my BP meds, I take Depakote for mania, Fluoxetine for depression, Geodon for auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia, Trazodone for sleep and Clonazepam for rapid cycling. Each person is different, but in my case, the meds I take seem to be working very, very well.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread