It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

caitlin122 HB User
Unhappy Mood swings

I'm currently having a hard time controlling my temper and my mood swings. I have bi polar. I have diagnosed and undiagnosed so many times by different doctors, but it is apparent that I definitely have it. The problem I am having now is that everytime I explode my boyfriend gets mad at me, and makes me feel even worse about myself. I don't know what to do at this point to make myself better. I am seeing a therapist, and I'm currently coming off of effexor xr. I go on it every fall because that is my bad season. I want so badly to be able to control my disorder naturally, so I'm looking for any suggestions to follow to control my emotions a bit better. I feel that no matter how much progress I make, it's just never enough. Please help with any suggestions of things that I'm already not doing.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Mood swings

Are you on a mood stabilizer? The SSRI's, and effexor is one, can work against us. Wellbutrin may not set off the symptoms, at least doesn't for me, and Lamictal has been a godsend for me.

Ask your pdoc about a mood stabilizer. I am surprised if he hasn't already put you on one.

That's the best advice I can think of and hope you get relief soon. As far as your boyfriend getting angry at you, well, he doesn't understand and needs some education. Give him something on bp to read, so can understand that it's not you and you can't control it, it's the illness. It may be better to stay away from him when you are in a bad state.

Let us know how it goes, okay>

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Thank you so much! I have been on mood stabilizers in the past, but I had a pdoc who put me on a slue of meds, which caused worse damage then good. I do know that Depakote works well for me. My problem is because I had such a bad experience with meds in the past, where it almost cost me life twice, I have a bad taste in my mouth for meds. I would like to try and control this naturally, but I'm not sure if that is an option at this point. I have been on Lithium and Depakote. I would definitely not do Lithium ever again, but I"m thinking at this point of going back on Depakote. As to my boyfriend, that is a good idea to give him some education on bp. Thank you so much!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
(female)

ChloeJ HB User

Lithium and depakote are both good BUT you have to be careful not to take too high a dose. I take both now but took too much lithium at one point. Bad news.

You definitely do not want to take an antidepressent if you are bipolar. Like Seaturtle said, you need a mood stabilizer, and there are several options. Talk to your pdoc.

If fall and winter are your bad times, you are not getting enough light. I can never remember the proper name of that. Anyway, you can buy a special light box to use each day that provides the light and can help lift your mood.

Your boyfriend needs to learn to understand what you are going through and how to be supportive! And he needs to understand.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

ChloeJ

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

As long as you take one or more mood stabilizers, you can take anti-depressants.

I'm on 3 mood stabilizers (Depakote, Risperdal and Topamax) as well as an anti-depressant (Fluoxetine) and haven't experienced a manic episode due to the anti-depressant yet.

If you would like to try starting an anti-depressant, you may want to talk to your pdoc about this.

I also tend to become severely depressed during the autumn/winter months.

I thought about discontinuing my Fluoxetine now that spring is here, but I've changed my mind since there's no point in fixing what isn't broke. I'm doing well on my meds, so I see no reason to change them.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-30-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
(female)

ChloeJ HB User

I just tried topamax - for a week. The mood swings became even more rapid. Plus I was so irritable I was impossible to be around. I was very disappointed because I know it works for so many. My doctor is talking about emsam - the MAOI patch. But every thing I have read indicates too many side effects. So I am not optimistic about that either. Your right I thing. If it isn't broke... I just wish we could find that right combination.
ChloeJ

Old 03-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Chloe,

When you're more depressed in the Winter months, it's called Seasonal Affective Disorder or S.A.D.

Just thought you'd like to know.

kat

Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I asked my tdoc if he thinks I have SAD, but he said no. He thinks the autumn/winter months are a trigger for my bipolar.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

That's the same for me. The fall is my bad season. I always get very depressed around that time. I have been told that I do have SAD, but I'm not exactly sure if it's that, or just my bipolar. It makes sense though. It gets colder in the fall, there's not as much sun, and it really effects me. Weather always affects me. When it's rainy, I'm depressed. When it's sunny, I'm happy. Strange how much weather can affect us.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

My tdoc also told me that normally SAD isn't diagnosed co-morbidly with bipolar. Usually SAD is diagnosed as a single disorder without other disorders being present. Of course, there may be exceptions. I don't care one way or the other whether I have SAD. It doesn't matter anyways since nothing helps the severe depression I have during the autumn/winter months. When the weather is dark, cold or rainy, I'm severely depressed. When it's sunny and warm, I'm very happy. Fluoxetine has helped my depression, but I still get depressed over the weather. Take today for instance. It's cold and rainy again and I'm feeling depressed as a result. Tomorrow it will be sunny, so I'm sure my mood will improve accordingly.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-31-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

That's how it was for me yesterday and today. Yesterday was cold and rainy, so I was feeling down, but today is sunny and warm, and I feel much better. We'll see what tomorrow's weather brings!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I can't wait until tomorrow. It has been cold and rainy all day today and I'm feeling mildly depressed because of it. I hate this time of year because the weather fluctuates so much. I can't wait until June when temperatures start to stabilize. At least I will have spent my last winter here in Wisconsin. No more snow for me after I move to Arizona in a few months!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I can't wait until tomorrow. It has been cold and rainy all day today and I'm feeling mildly depressed because of it. I hate this time of year because the weather fluctuates so much. I can't wait until June when temperatures start to stabilize. At least I will have spent my last winter here in Wisconsin. No more snow for me after I move to Arizona in a few months!

You won't be there in June will you, if you're moving to AZ??

Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
(female)

caitlin122 HB User

Dreams,
When are you to moving Arizona? That's cool, although I hear it gets super hot in the summer, but better than the freezing snow. Are you moving byself?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Arizona together. He hates the winters here as much as I do. LOL!

I plan to move in June, July or August depending on how my finances pan out. If I need to delay my move, I might wait until September.

I don't mind hot weather at all. I'm more of a hot weather person than a cold weather person.

I'll gladly take 124 degree heat over 30 below zero temperatures!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread