It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Difficulty Formulating Thoughts

Hi everyone,

All day today I've noticed myself having difficulty formulating my thoughts in writing. I can't think of what I want to say and am having trouble coming up with the correct words. Normally this isn't a problem for me, but it's something I've had alot of trouble with over the past 24 hours. Have any of you experienced something similar? Could this be due to BP or BP meds? It's very frustrating.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-11-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Re: Difficulty Formulating Thoughts

I dont have that problem, but I cant remember things that others remember..

have a great day..

hugs, Caren

Bipolar 1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenR View Post
I dont have that problem, but I cant remember things that others remember..

have a great day..

hugs, Caren

Bipolar 1
Caren,

I've have severe problems with short term memory ever since I started taking meds for my bipolar 3 years ago.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I think you know most of my background based on what you've read from my posts. I get the same thing that you get where I have trouble trying to write, formulate thoughts, that kind of stuff. I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar but I do get racing thoughts though. Luckily I see my psychiatrist soon so we will talk about these symptoms. I'd suggest keeping your brain working. Keep on challenging it. Sorry I don't know whether your in school or not but a course would be a great thing to keep your brain working. Also take omega 3 supplements. Any psychiatrist would say that they are good for someone with bipolar or schizophrenia. anyways wish you luck bye.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

I don't have the concentration required to be in school. My rapid cycling has been out of control as well, so my social work advisor, pdoc and tdoc all advised me to withdraw this semester and return again in the fall. Do you have any idea of things I could do to strengthen my concentration? Someone I know who has bipolar told me I could ask my pdoc for a med to help counteract this, but I'm already on 8 meds (5 for bipolar, 2 for migraines and one for year round allergies) and would rather not take another med if I don't have to. However, if it's the only thing I can do to solve this problem, I'll give it serious consideration. By the way, as far as Omega 3 is concerned, I need to stay away from that since I SH and from what I understand, fish oil tends to cause blood clotting. I don't cut when I SH (I have other behaviors), but one of them does involve drawing blood.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-11-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

One of my old Pdocs used to have me play solitaire on the computer when i was hypomanic and couldn't concentrate, he would have me play over and over again because it takes concentration, I got to where I could win in 95 seconds. My current tdoc has me do word puzzles, like Sudoko and word scambles, things that take concentration to excercise my brain, so that when the severe depression take over, I don't just vegetate and give up any and all brain function. Don't laugh, but she also has me color, my OCD turns me into a perfectionist, so I take quite a bit of time making everything perfect, color all in the same direction, make sure the color's even, etc. This also works my concentration and patience. All these little seemingly benign excercises do help even though they all seem so simple. With what I do for a living I have to keep my mind working and my concentration at my A game.

kat

Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Unfortunately, none of those ideas will work since I'm totally blind, but I appreciate you mentioning them just the same.

My Trazodone and 2 doses of Clonazepam are kicking in, so until tomorrow...
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-11-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

I hope I didn't upset you or offend you, I just assumed that sense you can text and read, etc. that there was some device that allowed you to do some of these things. I didn't mean to be unthoughtful.

kat

Old 03-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Skylist,

I am a Financial Administrator and Stock Brokerage Edcuator for older citizens. So I have to stay on top of my game and not let the BP interfere as much as possible. My focus and attention have to stay sharp, which is why I do as many excersises as I can. I also do a lot of Psych reasearch online and write alot i.e. journal, BiPolar trip, descriptive non-fiction stories that will be used in my upcoming EMDR therapy, the beach will be my "safe" place to go....the beach in fall and winter is my favorite place in the world to be.

So, there's lots of things that you can do to help your brain to be able to keep itself stay on track and focused. You just have to find what helps you the best.

kat

Old 03-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Dreams,

I hope I didn't upset you or offend you, I just assumed that sense you can text and read, etc. that there was some device that allowed you to do some of these things. I didn't mean to be unthoughtful.

kat
Kat,

I'm not offended at all. I just thought I'd let you know that I couldn't see. I do have a program on my computer that converts print into Braille and synthetic speech, but it doesn't read certain kinds of printed text.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread