It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

razzle88 HB User
becoming immune to effects of meds

I was officially diagnosed bipolar almost a year ago, and after trying nearly every combination of meds there are out there, I finally found something that was positive for me: Librium, Lamictal, a small dose of Ritalin, and Klonopin for usage only if having extreme panic.
The Klonopin was just prescribed to me a few days ago, after being taken to the hospital with panic so bad I was convinced I was going to die. As of late, probably about the last 3-4 months, I feel the same as I did before I was medicated- all over the place with thoughts and actions, extreme mood swings, the constant need for attention and affection, extreme impulsivity, etc.
It could perhaps be due to all the stress I am experiencing right now- literally every aspect of my life is in disarray and I have no control over any of these issues, can only help what I can and let it go from there. But I am wondering if stress like this can cause it, even if I am still taking my meds as prescribed.
I told my doc, and he just upped my dosage and hustled me out.
Sorry for the back story, but I felt like I needed it for someone to offer advice. What my main question is, does extreme stress do this to anyone else, or do I need to consult him, or perhaps a new doc, about a different combination or what? Current doc doesnt seem to think so, but I feel like I did before I started taking something that worked- and believe me, for the first 9 months my whole life changed for the better.
Is it posible that they will just stop working because I am used to them?
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: becoming immune to effects of meds

Razzle,

Of course severe stress can cause the BP to go out of control. But having said that, you can also become to "used" to your current Therapeutic dose of your meds and need some tweaking or changing meds altogether. Trust me, I just went through 2 months of literally having meds changed and tweaked every 1 to 2 weeks, and just last week have finally got to a combo that my pdoc and I think will be the right combo. (keeping my fingers crossed)

I know that changing meds or tweaking meds is not always the easiest or most desirable thing to do....but sometimes its unavoidable. Heck if you managed to keep the same doses for a year that's pretty good.

Now for my two cents about your pdoc....if he's treating you like this all the time, not listening to you, rushing you out of appointments..that's just malpractice. This disease is not one that can be managed in 10 or 15 minute once every few weeks or once a month by a pdoc who won't listen to their patient. If this is what you're dealing with I'd look for a new pdoc. You need to have one that you can develop a trusting relationship with, one that you can call upon at anytime of the day or night, weekday or weekend. I mean if I get too depressed or my suicidality becomes a problem, my pdoc makes me see him every week, and calls to check on me an additional 2 times during the week, he also makes sure I have his work, home, and cell numbers stored in my blackberry. I'm not saying he's perfect, because we do fuss with each other from time to time, but he is a very caring compassionate man, with my best interest in mind, and I really appreciate it and wouldn't change pdocs for anything.

Sorry I'm rambling on.

let us know how you're doing.

kat

Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

I agree with Kat stress can/will make your BP bounce around on it's own. But meds will often need to be tweaked and changed. Trust me, I could be a poster child. Just about the time we think we finally have it the meds quit workiing and I'm back to square 1. I have just been through another change over the last month so we shall see what happens.

I also agree with Kat about your Pdoc. You have to have a strong relationship with this person or it just doesn't work. Because of where we have been with my meds and subsequent depression my Pdoc has been seeing me once a week with very close monitoring.

Good luck and best wishes!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Tigger,

How are you doing? Are you managing okay being Out Patient?

kat

Old 03-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Been HB User

Hey Razzle,

Your first question about does extreme stress/anxiety etc do this, I'm not clear on exactly what you mean but I can say that when I get so anxious it dominates then meds are useless. They just do not work for that period at all. I can only say that I know my own powerful feelings just over ride normal meds which work when I am more relaxed etc. Don't know any medical reason for that but it happens to me.

Meds that usually knock me out for example. I can take the normal dose and feel nothing. Double, nothing. And so on, the anxiety is just dominant and keeps me on the edge for ages. Not lately thank Goodness.

I note a number of comments here talking about the need to change/vary meds. No doubt about that at all of course. But we all must also consider the time a med can take to start giving benefit. A week or two is often not enough for a med to take effect so to stop that for another is a waste of everything.

While the illness may be out of control while you wait for the help from a med it's a fine line between deciding a med doesn't and won't work and changing to yet another.

When our anxiety/stress dominates us we do come over to others as exactly how we feel and they cannot fathom why we are so anxious etc. A doc who just accepts your word is critical as all others here have said. So the questions you should be asking are :

. Do I trust my current doc?. If not then are you up to finding a new one right now?
. Has this doc helped me since I started seeing him. If so has that changed and why? Is it possible the doc has some problems of his own that are affecting his concentration etc? IE, it may be a temporary problem, they have lives too!! Even when they mean well sometimes they don't get it right.,
. How many meds have not worked? Of those how many were used for the time indicated as normal for results?
. What meds have been best to date and is it worth retrying them?

Just a few thoughts.

Been

Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

Hey Kat

I had the month from "hell" as we had to take me off my antidepressant cuz even at it's highest (not recommended dose) it wasn't helping and it had to be a taper off so for a month I was without. There were days I just didn't get out of bed... They have me on something new, an older drug that I couldn't say the name to if I wanted so I'm waiting to see how that goes...... Thanks for asking.. Hope things are well with you!

Last edited by tigger5150; 03-15-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: name change

Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Tigger,

Well it sounds as if you made it through Hell month without too many scars. It's good that you're doing better. I finally got off my anti-d too, I'm totally off Cymbalta and totally glad, that stuff was making me hypomanic left and right, I don't miss it. My pdoc is not going to put me on another specific anti-d as the Lamictal and Abilify that I'm on are approved as an add on for BiPolar Depression as well as a mood stabilizer. I hope you continue to do well and get to stay home.

I myself am not doing well, fell off the cliff and into the pit for some reason this weekend, not sure why or what brought it on...crying for no reason, too much sleepin on and off during the day, etc. nothing new.

I hope you continue to do well.

kat

Old 03-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

Razzle88,

Hey i'm not sure if my oppinion matters in this due to the fact that i'm not bipolar but i spend as much time with my gf as i can and she is bipolar and has add. But what i have noticed is that even a little bit of stress can set anyone off but the best thing to do is to find somthing that entertains your mind and also if my gf goes to the gym she feels a ton better so that might also help. In the documents that i have read they all say that if you are on a normal sleeping pattern and if you exercise regularly then it should help. I hope that you feel better :-)

Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

bfbipolar,

that is a great point to make, I know my pdoc is much happier when I'm able to keep up with my daily excercise routine. And we always welcome your opinion, just because you yourself are not BP, living with someone who is, can give you a huge insight that we may not be privy to.

kat

Old 03-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
(male)

bfbipolar HB User

katlin09,

Thanks for letting me know that its cool for me to post things :-)

Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
(female)

tigger5150 HB User

Kat,
That's the way my month was (well little more than a month) and Cymbalta is what they took me off.... I just could not get out of the depression. Hoping combination now starts working as it is hard to get up and go to work most mornings, but I'm doing it.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I'm late coming into this thread, but I thought I'd share my own experiences as far as pdocs, meds, stress and stability are concerned.

My last pdoc never treated my rapid cycling or mania. I spent 1.5 years rapid cycling and manic yet my pdoc did nothing about it even after I complained about how I was feeling. Why I put up with this behavior for 1.5 years, I have no idea, but I finally put my foot down, fired him, reported him to the AMA and found a new pdoc.

The pdoc I'm now working with is wonderful. He takes my treatment seriously and allows me to be an active participant. He has given me more stability over 2 months than I've had in 1.5 years.

Stress can definitely affect BP symptoms. The more stress you experience, the worse your symptoms can become. My first manic/psychotic episode in 2006 was caused by several things including stress. I find that whenever I'm stressed, I become manic, depressed, psychotic and/or paranoid. I try to avoid as much stress as possible so I don't trigger an episode. Many times it's easier said than done, but I try just the same.

I'm now taking 5 different meds for my bipolar (Depakote, Fluoxetine, Geodon, Trazodone and Clonazepam). The Clonazepam was recently added to help control my rapid cycling. According to my pdoc, I was doing relatively well on my other meds, but the Clonazepam helps provide me with more stability.

I still experience problems with rapid cycling and mania, but I can tell you that I'm doing so much better than I was 1.5 years ago.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-17-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
(female)

razzle88 HB User

Thanks for the imput guys

Last edited by razzle88; 03-17-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
(female)

razzle88 HB User

Thanks for the advice...it can be hard to keep a regular schedule as I am a dispatcher and go to school full time, so my schedule is constantly full. Im trying though, and if that works for her, then I will make an atempt, because anything has to be better than this!
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfbipolar View Post
Razzle88,

Hey i'm not sure if my oppinion matters in this due to the fact that i'm not bipolar but i spend as much time with my gf as i can and she is bipolar and has add. But what i have noticed is that even a little bit of stress can set anyone off but the best thing to do is to find somthing that entertains your mind and also if my gf goes to the gym she feels a ton better so that might also help. In the documents that i have read they all say that if you are on a normal sleeping pattern and if you exercise regularly then it should help. I hope that you feel better :-)

Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Having such a wonderful pdoc has been a long time coming and is well overdue. I've been in the mental health system for the past 18 years and can say that I've only had 2 pdocs who I think were compassionate and did everything they could to help me. I sincerely hope that you're able to find the same. Good luck at your two appointments!
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Closed Thread