It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Hypomania

Hi everyone,

Would you mind describing for me some of the symptoms you have when you're hypomanic?

I'm having trouble identifying mine. I know I feel better than usual towards the beginning of a hypomanic episode, but it doesn't last long. Within a day (usually hours) I crash into extreme anger/irritability and then depression. It follows the same pattern as my manic episodes except that my feelings last for a much shorter period of time.

Having said that, it's still difficult for me to identify hypomania since I don't get hypomanic very often. I tend to rapid cycle between mania, agitation and depression before the cycle starts all over again, but in a different pattern.

Any comments?
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Hypomania

Dreams,

I only get hypomanic as results of major drug changes as you know. But when I do I start off the first and second day as being very much in a good mood, lots of energy, and I enjoy the he** out of it, because as you also know I'm almost also depressed. I tend to speed around town in the car, never paying attention to the speed limit, with the stereo blaring. Then after that I start to think that I can handle anything like I'm superwoman and I don't need to call my pdoc and let him know what's going on, I can fix it all by myself. My sleep schedule does not get interfered though, what little one I have, and by the day before it's over I tend to lock myself in my apartment so I don't do something stupid in public. And after 3 or4 days it's over and I'm back to my depressed self. My pdoc and tdoc are usually ticked at me afterwards because I tend not to call them and let them know what's happening, I've only called them once. If it's close to a tdoc appt. then she knows straight off, ditto for my pdoc.

hope this helps.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

Thanks for answering my question.

How do you distinguish between "normal" happiness vs. hypomania? I know you deal with depression more than hypomania, so I don't know if you can answer that, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I think I'm going to discuss this with my tdoc when I see him tomorrow because I'm very confused by the difference.

I think I was hypomanic last night only because I was feeling really good, but as quickly as that feeling came, it disappeared and I felt extremely irritable. I had to take 2 doses of Clonazepam and 300mg of Trazodone to calm down so I could sleep.

Now that I think about the mood chart that I wrote for today, I did feel hypomanic again earlier this afternoon, but my moods eventually started to level off.

By the way, I still have this d*mn headache which 3 doses of Imitrex have done nothing for. I'm thinking about going to the ER tomorrow before my tdoc appointment to find out if they can give me Zomig or an injection. My head is pounding right now.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

typeing HB User

Hope your head feels better.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Dreams,

I guess I can tell because when I'm hypomanic the good mood gets better and better and better. When I'm a bit stable and just in a normal good mood, it's a very mild good mood, I'm never overly excitable or jumping around joking, etc. My good mood is probably similar to your beginnin stages of depression, if that makes any sense.

kat

Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, typeing. <hugs>

Kat,

I'm not sure I understand because when I'm at the beginning stages of feeling depressed, I feel suicidal. I don't experience mild depression -- it's always severe and involves me wanting to harm myself.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Okay, you go major off the cliff in the beginning. What about last weekend when you were coming out of it, that seemed a bit more gradual towards the end when you were barely depressed and starting to be in a better mood maybe that's more accurate.

I guess I'm just more quiet and "stick to myself" so even if I'm in a good mood, I still don't want to be around people, etc. I'll play board games and Wii and such with Nick as opposed to when I'm depressed I don't do anything but stay in my room by myself.

kat

Old 03-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That would be a good description and is something I can understand.

As far as my depression is concerned, I get to the point where I'm catatonic. I can't move, speak or think clearly and end up sleeping 12-16 hours/day. I also SH.

As for last weekend, Friday and Saturday were really bad, but by Sunday, my mood was starting to improve a little. By the time Monday rolled around, I was back to feeling level again. On Tuesday I was depressed because of the weather. On Wednesday I was level with the exception of feeling energetic last night. Today I felt level again with some added extra energy thrown in. Makes me wonder what tomorrow will bring. LOL!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-12-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Yeah girl I feel for you. I go nuts when I'm super depressed for a couple of weeks and then I wake up and all the sudden I'm not and have to "rethink" my daily routine, etc. and then after a week or so back to the severe not getting out of bed depression. I would go crazy cycling as often as you do. You're definitely a stronger person than I am.

kat

Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

If truth be told, sometimes I feel like God cursed me with rapid cycling bipolar. Sometimes I wish I could go back to 2006 when I was diagnosed as schizoaffective because I didn't rapid cycle at that time (my rapid cycling didn't start until 12 months after that diagnosis) and my mood was relatively stable on only 2 meds (Depakote and Risperdal) with the exception of my voices, delusions and paranoia.

I'm beginning to think that schizoaffective *was* the correct diagnosis for me back then only because I was hearing voices, etc. while in a normal mood as well as when I was manic.

As my tdoc and pdoc told me, diagnoses can change which mine did. 12 months after I was diagnosed as schizoaffective bipolar type, it changed to bipolar I with ultradian rapid cycling.

In December, it changed yet again to atypical bipolar I with ultradian rapid cycling.

If truth be told, I guess I could still be considered schizoaffective since I hear voices if I'm off of meds which would mean that I have auditory hallucinations when I'm in a normal mood state as well as when I'm manic or depressed.

In the end though, I guess it doesn't matter as long as my symptoms are being addressed.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-12-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

I get you with the God thing, my theory is that he put me down here to be his personal Court Jester and everytime he slams me with the next bad thing in the storm that is my life, he sits up there and laughs. I'm a bit cynical these days I guess.

kat

Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kat,

I know how you feel. I'm of the opinion that whenever God tests me, He's laughing at the same time. You'd think He'd get tired of laughing so much after everything I've had to deal with. It would be nice to get a break sometime, wouldn't it? Lord knows you and I certainly deserve it.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm hypomanic again this morning. I can't type fast enough, read fast enough and people can't talk fast enough (on television) to maintain my concentration. I have an appointment with my tdoc this afternoon, so I think I'm going to take 2 doses of Clonazepam before then so I don't end up rapid cycling into mania or agitation and he doesn't end up asking me if I'm manic. I hate it when he does that. LOL!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

On another note, I'm going to ask my pdoc if he can raise my Trazodone from 300mg PRN to 400mg because I went to sleep last night around 2:30, but woke up at 7. That's only 4.5 hours of sleep. I'm supposed to take 300mg whenever I feel manic or can't sleep, but it's not having any effect on me.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 03-13-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

You know that stupid saying, "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger." I'm strong enough dam* it, I'd rather it kill me. I am so tired of dealing wiht this disease and the self harm and the PTSD and the OCD, well that one is getting way better since I'm off the Cymbalta, I actually went to bed last night without checking to make sure all the towels and candles, plants, etc. were lined up straight like they were supposed to be. All of this on top of the Chronic Pain, being in pain virtually all day every day....it's just way too much.

Me and my Pdoc have one thing that we disagree on and tend to argue about, my CP meds. I take Oxycontin and Percocet (prn) for pain control. And actually the Oxy is a step down, I was on Fentanyl 7 months ago. He always brings this up and harps on it, because he wants me off of them. He's like you know your dependant on these highly addictive narcotics. Yep, been taking them for 6 years, I got it. One of these days I'm going to skip them and crawl into his office in so much pain and without the abiity to walk, and maybe then he'll understand that there is a legitimate need for them and they're not just for fun! I told him on tuesday that my dependance is not as strong as most, for some reason my body doesn't require them as much, I can miss a days worth and nor have any withdrawals. So he gave me "that" look and said have you ever just stopped cold turkey, and I was like what kind of idiot would do that????

Oh well I don't see any of it changing any time in the near future.

kat

Closed Thread